Calf pain when running

Options
LizCO2DC
LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
I've completed my first two days of the program, and so far I've been able to finish each session. However, while running I get severe calf pain. I've never been a runner, so I'm not sure how to make the pain go away.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with calf pain?

Thanks!

Replies

• AriadneSnow
    AriadneSnow Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get calf pain. I got it when I first started and when I increase my distance/speed a lot.

I just push through it, once you get up to longer distances you'll notice your legs hurt at first but after around 10 minutes it goes away. Remember to stretch well afterwards. Soreness is good - it means changes are happening!
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem. You need to stretch more. Not just after your runs, but at regular intervals during the day and BEFORE every run.

1. Stand on a step with your heels overhanging and gently allow your heels to drop slowly down to stretch your calf then slowly lift your heels back up until you are up on the balls of your feet. Do a few reps (don't overdo it)
    2. Once you're comfortable with those try them 1 legged
    3. Once you can do them one-legged start doing them one-legged but starting with a bent leg

Ice your calf muscles after you do your cooldown stretches as well.