Long term Ketoers & Calories

Options
Those of you who have been doing Keto for at least 3 months or more and who are also close to your goal weight, do you find that you have to count calories now? If you have plateaued what did you do to switch it up?

I realize many don't think calories are important especially at the beginning, but when you get closer to your goal weight I think it makes a difference. Anyone feel the same way? I have been doing Keto since Nov 2011 and I've been stuck at the same weight for 4 weeks now. I go up and down by about 1 pound.

Anyone else in the same boat? What are you doing about it now? Aside from the basics like : add water, potassium, salt, weight training, sleep etc...

Replies

• thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I experienced two-week stalls even during my first month. Once I stuck it out it fixed itself. I did not remember my calorie counts, but I was eating very "clean" and there was no other reason for me to have stalls than just my body driving me crazy lol. Sorry no help!

What about carb-cycling?

(But from a calorie-counting stand-point, I believe most say to increase your calories to shake things up. Then after a week go back down and it should get things moving)
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am quite close to my goal weight, but bear in mind my goal weight is still quite high! Calories do start to matter more, definitely, but I still don't count them. I just eat a little less, in particular I stopped snacking between meals. What has helped speed weight loss back up is giving up protein powders and sweetener, and also cream. I really miss the cream. Big source of calories gone right there.

Also, weirdly, cutting back on working out seems to have made little difference to how much I lose, and may in fact have sped it up! I was never excessive- gym twice a week, and 3 hours of walking a week. This week I did 1 home work out for about 15 minutes, plus my usual walks, and I've dropped weight like a stone. Not sure if that's coincidental or not, make of it what you will!

Have you had your thyroid tested? Or been tested for PCOS? Are you on hormonal birth control? Basically anything affecting your hormones could be a problem.
  • Justforthebacon
    Justforthebacon Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    "Have you had your thyroid tested? Or been tested for PCOS? Are you on hormonal birth control? Basically anything affecting your hormones could be a problem."

Yup - I have hypothyroidism. Started meds back in October and my #'s are where they should be now. I also take BC.
    Can't do much about either of those. :( Thanks though. lol
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Well, that sucks. Sorry. It's harder for you from the get-go then. Maybe your doc can advise?
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Yes I think there is a point where you have to restrict calories in order to keep seeing progress. I started at 195 with a goal weight of 175. Dropping down to 180 was effortless, but now I've been stuck. Its not a big deal because I'm in good shape where I'm at, but I still have a layer of fat that prevents me from having a six-pack. Once you hit a lean state its exponentially harder to get those last few pounds of fat off.
  • Justforthebacon
    Justforthebacon Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.

I hate calorie restriction! lol

How can you possibly know your BMR or your TDEE? It is all guess work. On top of all of that, I have hypothyroidism and that screws with it as well. I hate having to experiment and see weight gains in the process. At least with Keto it isn't as bad. I recently decided to increase my calories with strength training hoping it will push me past my plateau.
  • AnyaArson
    AnyaArson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I started keto-ish last July because pf my roommate's funky thyroid. Unfortunately, his meds have made him drop 50 lbs over night and now he has to force feed himself so that he doesn't go so low that it screws with the relative med dose.

When I started at 185 and cut out carbs (14g max), I would eat ALL OF THE BACON AND CHEESE and still dropped a good 15-20 lbs in the first couple of months. Then I started to stagnate, so I started counting calories. I try to eat 1400 (1600 if I'm exercising), and have managed to drop down to 146. Unfortunately, now I'm at the point that if I take a long weekend off, I'll gain ten pounds and it will take me two or three weeks to work them back off. Right now I'm hovering between 145-155 depending on how long I've gone without cheating (147 today!).

I've also started upping my weight lifting in the past couple of weeks, so I'd like to believe that the reason I haven't been able to shed the last couple of cheats is because I'm either bloated from exercise or have actually (gasp!) put on some muscle. I keep telling myself that I don't care that much about the scale anymore, but I can't wait to get rid of those "last ten pounds" of fluff, no matter how much I weigh after doing it. But now I know that I absolutely can't cheat, for now.