Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

March/April WLS Conversation Thread

IsMollyReallyHungry
IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
Hello all and welcome to all new members! Spring is in the air!

Please feel free to use this thread for daily conversations and to get to know one another.

Have a good day and remember success is never giving up! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Happy Spring!!! I hope everyone is ready for a successful month. Weight loss last month was pretty good (8#). This month I am going to focus on exercise. I HATE to exercise! I HATE to sweat (I guess it's the girly girl in me). But unless I want to be flabby girl I need to kick it into gear. NO MORE EXCUSES. My goal for March is to exercise 5 days/week. When I am successful I will treat myself to a pedicure and a massage.

What are your goals for this month?
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    I have done pretty well this past month- lost a couple of holiday pounds to put me back to pre-holiday weight. I have walked everyday for the past 3 weeks, except for 2 days when there was just too much going on. My goal this month is to lose those last couple of pounds that have kept me from my goal. I have one more week of walking before my dr. said I can go back to the gym. I am hoping on finding classes that I can do at least 4 days a week, and walk the other three.
  • Weigh in day is tomorrow; I hope I have a loss to add to my total since January 20. I am trying to lose a little regain I had (20 pounds) between summer vacation and the holidays 2011.

My goal for March is going to be to exercise a minimum of three days each week. I would like to be back to my "fighting weight" by Mother's Day.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    ScubaMomoTwo,
    Regain is a something but it can be re-lost! You can do it!

Lynn,
    You are doing spendid!!

Pokemon,
    Congrats on 8 pounds lost!! and Just do that exercise! Excercise is the best thing to ensure no re-gain and to help you keep lost pounds off.

I will share my goals later.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    My goal is to get more muscular by prom (I am a high school teacher and am helping the senior class sponsor plan it). I did not go to my own senior prom so I told my boyfriend he has to take me to this one. It's kinda silly, but I am so excited!!
  • frogmama
    My goal is to get more muscular by prom (I am a high school teacher and am helping the senior class sponsor plan it). I did not go to my own senior prom so I told my boyfriend he has to take me to this one. It's kinda silly, but I am so excited!!

I'm sure you will enjoy the prom. I was a high school teacher and class sponsor for several years and enjoyed all of the proms. It is great to see all of the kids dressed up.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    The thing about exercise is, most of us come into WLS thinking about exercise "like a fat person". We think about food that way too but the surgery kind of kicks our food habits to the curb and gives us a chance to develop new ones and kind of forces this sometimes -- like giving us the foamies when we eat too much. But it doesn't really force us to stop thinking about exercise in any particular way or to push us to think about exercise differently.

But learning to think about exercise differently is just as important as thinking about food differently.

We need to go from "exercise is to help me lose weight" to "exercise is about my overall health". And "exercise is something boring/painful/embarrassing that I do because I have to" to "exercise is just moving my body and there are tons of ways to do it and I'm sure there are some I'll enjoy".

Otherwise, we are giving ourselves a built-in handicap in this journey. Because turning exercise into a habit helps us maintain the weight we've lost, be fit and healthy and not "skinny fat," and let's us eat a few more treats so we don't feel so restricted in our food choices. It also keeps our brains sharp!

When we were kids (before we got fat), most of us played including physical play. We rode our bikes, we played tag (running), we jumped and danced and moved our bodies with joy. And we didn't think of it as exercise or "working out". I think we need to capture that feeling again. So, if it helps, don't call it exercise any more. Call it "play".

Also, we need to be open to the idea that exercise is different as you lose weight and get fitter. Sweating when you weigh 100 pound or more over what you should is a completely different experience than sweating when when you are only 20 pounds overweight. It feels so much better. It feels like fat leaving the body. Sports are easier too because we can move better and faster.

Plus, we don't have to just do what the gym teacher says to do -- we can do any kind of sport we want and there are tons of different sports out there. Individual, team, with balls and without and with different requirements for flexibility, strength, balance, coordination, etc. So there is bound to be one out there we love and are good at.

I found out that I suck at "fast twitch" sports like basketball and volleyball, but I am actually talented at "slow twitch" sports like triathlon and running. It's so cool to be good at something! It really heals some of those horrible memories of being totally embarrassed in gym class as a kid when I couldn't throw a ball or do a long jump or a pull up.
  • The thing about exercise is, most of us come into WLS thinking about exercise "like a fat person". We think about food that way too but the surgery kind of kicks our food habits to the curb and gives us a chance to develop new ones and kind of forces this sometimes -- like giving us the foamies when we eat too much. But it doesn't really force us to stop thinking about exercise in any particular way or to push us to think about exercise differently.

But learning to think about exercise differently is just as important as thinking about food differently.

We need to go from "exercise is to help me lose weight" to "exercise is about my overall health". And "exercise is something boring/painful/embarrassing that I do because I have to" to "exercise is just moving my body and there are tons of ways to do it and I'm sure there are some I'll enjoy".

Otherwise, we are giving ourselves a built-in handicap in this journey. Because turning exercise into a habit helps us maintain the weight we've lost, be fit and healthy and not "skinny fat," and let's us eat a few more treats so we don't feel so restricted in our food choices. It also keeps our brains sharp!

When we were kids (before we got fat), most of us played including physical play. We rode our bikes, we played tag (running), we jumped and danced and moved our bodies with joy. And we didn't think of it as exercise or "working out". I think we need to capture that feeling again. So, if it helps, don't call it exercise any more. Call it "play".

Also, we need to be open to the idea that exercise is different as you lose weight and get fitter. Sweating when you weigh 100 pound or more over what you should is a completely different experience than sweating when when you are only 20 pounds overweight. It feels so much better. It feels like fat leaving the body. Sports are easier too because we can move better and faster.

Plus, we don't have to just do what the gym teacher says to do -- we can do any kind of sport we want and there are tons of different sports out there. Individual, team, with balls and without and with different requirements for flexibility, strength, balance, coordination, etc. So there is bound to be one out there we love and are good at.

I found out that I suck at "fast twitch" sports like basketball and volleyball, but I am actually talented at "slow twitch" sports like triathlon and running. It's so cool to be good at something! It really heals some of those horrible memories of being totally embarrassed in gym class as a kid when I couldn't throw a ball or do a long jump or a pull up.

MacMadame....I love this! I always say "I hate exercise"; but what I really mean is I HATE working out....but I love hiking and dancing around my living room and SCUBA diving. So I am going to try to remind myself that my "work out" does not have to be 30 minutes on the treadmill but can also be listening to the 80's music on my TV while I shock my bulldog puppy with my crazy dance moves.

Thank you!
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    The thing about exercise is, most of us come into WLS thinking about exercise "like a fat person". We think about food that way too but the surgery kind of kicks our food habits to the curb and gives us a chance to develop new ones and kind of forces this sometimes -- like giving us the foamies when we eat too much. But it doesn't really force us to stop thinking about exercise in any particular way or to push us to think about exercise differently.

My post was not meant to be negative. Yes, I do HATE to exercise. But I HATE being fat and unhealthy more so I will learn to tolerate exercise. I hope one day to be one that craves exercise. They say it takes 3 weeks of doing something consistantly to make it a habit. That's what I am trying to do. I am trying to like exercising whether it be working out or taking a hike or just a walk around the block. I want to crave it, I just don't yet.
  • frogmama
    Pokemom- Give it time and I think you will find that you WILL crave the exercise. I was going to the gym 5-6 days a week, I also went geocaching with my sister 1 day a week and we would generally walk in the woods anywhere from 2-5 hours. On January 27th I had abdominal surgery. For 2 weeks I could do nothing but walk around the house. Then for 4 weeks, I can walk. I am going crazy. I have walked every day except for 2 days since I have been given the go ahead. I walk in the mall or in the park if the weather allows. Today it was in the mid 20s but sunny and not windy so I spent an hour in the park. I am really getting tired of walking. Friday will be my 4 weeks! I can't wait until I can get back to a spinning or zumba class! I also do some other classes at the gym, but I think I may have to wait a bit longer to get back to them because they involve too much ab and core work. Try to vary your exercise program so you are doing different things. Exercise with other people. Hopefully you will crave it as I do.

Lynn
  • IsMollyReallyHungry

Great reminder and so true too. I exercise fine. I am still struggling with the food because I did return to my old eating habits. :cry: But that is OK because I am going to get there with the food one day. Never giving up! If you have had your surgery within the last 2 years and you are reading this, I hope I encouraged you to not to return to old behaviors because re-gain is very real if you don't use the time given to sustain a healthy lifestyle thru eating and movement.

Keep up the good work all and have a beautiful day!:flowerforyou:
  • ZenRach
    ZenRach Posts: 20 Member
    Hi! My birthday is about a month away, so I've been thinking that it would be a great occassion to use to set a goal/reward. I'm thinking that I'll aim to lose 10 pounds by April 10th (birthday). Hopefully, that will get me down another size (bonus!) and I can get myself a new outfit (now I can get super excited about that!).

Here's my plan so far:

1. Hide the scale (I think I've got an addiction with weighing myself daily and I get bummed when those numbers aren't moving)
    2. Aim for 1200 Calories daily (Is that too high for someone who's 7 months out of WLS?)
    3. Exercise for 45min-60min 4-6 times per week (in my case, that's walk/jog on treadmill, jump/dance on trampoline or ride a stationary bike)
    4. Strength-train 3 times per week (using some p90x moves - but I don't think I'll have the 60 min to do the whole p90x videos)

I'm totally open to suggestions. I'm guessing at the 10 pound weight-loss happening with my plan - if you have a plan that works, I'd love to hear it. :flowerforyou:
  • frogmama
    Hi! My birthday is about a month away, so I've been thinking that it would be a great occassion to use to set a goal/reward. I'm thinking that I'll aim to lose 10 pounds by April 10th (birthday). Hopefully, that will get me down another size (bonus!) and I can get myself a new outfit (now I can get super excited about that!).

Here's my plan so far:

1. Hide the scale (I think I've got an addiction with weighing myself daily and I get bummed when those numbers aren't moving)
    2. Aim for 1200 Calories daily (Is that too high for someone who's 7 months out of WLS?)
    3. Exercise for 45min-60min 4-6 times per week (in my case, that's walk/jog on treadmill, jump/dance on trampoline or ride a stationary bike)
    4. Strength-train 3 times per week (using some p90x moves - but I don't think I'll have the 60 min to do the whole p90x videos)

I'm totally open to suggestions. I'm guessing at the 10 pound weight-loss happening with my plan - if you have a plan that works, I'd love to hear it. :flowerforyou:

April is birthday month in our family too- My husband's birthday is the 4th, one daughter is the 7th, another and my sister's is the same as yours- the 10th! We will have 1 cake to celebrate all of those birthdays.Another for my niece and brother-in-law later in the month.

I like your reward of a new outfit. I think your plan sounds pretty good. That is great if you can hide your scale. I am addicted to the daily weighing, though I graph it and am not thrown off by the fluctuations. I'm not sure about your calorie intake, but I try to stay at 1200 calories, though I am 21/2 years out of surgery- lapband. I like your exercise plan. You have a pretty good mix of cardio and strength training planned. Don't get discouraged when the weight loss is slower than what you would like to see. My surgery was June 1, 2009. I am now 1 pound away from my goal- and determined to get there. It has taken me a whole lot longer than I had thought.:flowerforyou:
  • Hi! My birthday is about a month away, so I've been thinking that it would be a great occassion to use to set a goal/reward. I'm thinking that I'll aim to lose 10 pounds by April 10th (birthday). Hopefully, that will get me down another size (bonus!) and I can get myself a new outfit (now I can get super excited about that!).

Here's my plan so far:

I don't think your calorie goal is too high. I have a theory that we TRAIN our bodies into living on a certain number of calories (within reason, of course). I believe the SOONER you get your calorie level up to a "normal" level, the more food you will be able to eat every day for the long term when maintaining your weight. Of course, that also means that your weight loss may also be slower than the "average" postop who is living on 600-800 calories a day.

I base this on nothing other than my own observations over the 10 years (almost 11) that I've been living with my surgery. All I can say is try it and see how it goes.

I also commend you for staying off the scale. I weigh daily in MAINTENANCE; but what the scale says during the losing phases just has too much influence over how my day goes, how my attitude is, etc., etc.

Good luck.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    And my theory is that it's never as easy to lose weight as in the first 6 months after wls when hunger is almost entirely gone and we can't eat too much at any one time, so you might as well do everything in your power to lose as much as possible during that time period. It's only going to get harder the longer out you are from surgery.

I have been on the WLS boards for four years now and in that time I see that people who quickly up their calories and worry about not eating "enough" are much more likely never to get to goal or to struggle with regain. My personal experience is that by getting down very low and exercising quite a bit, so that I got to goal very quickly, I got my body to change it's set point from 225 pounds to 120 pounds. As a result, my body fights me to get and stay at this weight and does not fight me to go up and up and up like it used to and like I've seen with some of my friends who are 3+ years out like me but constantly battling regain.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member

I'm a daily weigher, but it does not drive me crazy and keeps me on track. I think at the 7 month mark I was eating around 1000 calories a day. See if 1200 works for you, but remember some people post-wls eat 1200 to maintain (most seem to be 1200-1600).
  • "I have been on the WLS boards for four years now and in that time I see that people who quickly up their calories and worry about not eating "enough" are much more likely never to get to goal or to struggle with regain. My personal experience is that by getting down very low and exercising quite a bit, so that I got to goal very quickly, I got my body to change it's set point from 225 pounds to 120 pounds. As a result, my body fights me to get and stay at this weight and does not fight me to go up and up and up like it used to and like I've seen with some of my friends who are 3+ years out like me but constantly battling regain."

Funny, 'cuz I've been there 10 years and mine has been the OPPOSITE. From where I sit, the closer a person is to eating like a "normal" person (NOT their pre-op selves) the less they struggle. The people who eat fewer calories or rely too heavily on what I like to call "bariatric eating", the more likely they are to be back complaining about the fact that once they added even HEALTHY carbs, they started gaining weight.

I agree that the first 6 months are the period of biggest loss; I'm not suggesting that ANYONE should be eating like a "normal" person by then. But restricting yourself TOO LOW for TOO LONG, in my experience and opinion, is a set up for problems.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on the rest. I am ten years post op and within 5 pounds of my goal weight, so I guess the way I've done it has worked for at least one person, ME! BTW: I lost my 120 pounds within 7 months; was too thin and purposefully gained back 15. I've been pretty much "living there" for 9+ years, with the two rare exceptions (I had small gains when my mother died and again when my husband relocated 9 months before me...but, back to my "normal" and the pounds came off).
  • angelintx
    angelintx Posts: 327 Member
    Hi everyone!! It's been a long time since I've been on the threads ... I just had to cut something out during these last very busy and frustrating months. However, I have found that I have missed all of you, I NEED all of your support, and I'm not doing very well on my own. So, today I'm starting over (again), trying to reclaim control over my eating and exercise habits. I'm pretty sure that staying active on here will help keep my focus from straying like it has the last few months. I'm only up 9 lbs. from my lowest weight, but I refuse to go any higher than that!!

For those of you who are new here (or new to me since I was last active), I had sleeve surgery on 9/15/2010 and have maintained a loss of roughly 75 lbs. give or take. I have lots of health and lifestyle impediments to my success, but I have accepted that I just have to work longer and harder to achieve my goals than most. Such is life!!
  • Angelintx....I have found participation in online and real life support groups the number one thing that keeps me on track. When I stray I tend to "forget" that I had WLS and eat accordingly. That's one reason I started tracking my intake online again and participate in a few different WLS boards.

Welcome back!
  • frogmama
    ScubaMom,

I so agree with you. I think support groups make a world of difference. The bariatric center where I had surgery has a support that meets once a month. Though the meetings are good, for me, that wasn't enough. MFP helped to fill in the gap. Unfortunately, when I do go to the once a month meeting, there are several people that are there that have not been successful. I really think that the weight loss clinic needs to offer support groups more like weight watchers- once a week at least.
This discussion has been closed.