How to run 5K

Options
mrk34
mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
I am running my third 5K race this Sunday.

Started running from non-running in May 2011. My first 5K was on 9/18/11 (time 32:22, average 10:12 minutes per mile), second 5K was on 11/13/11 (time 29.33 minutes, average 9.31 minutes per mile).

Currently, I run three times a week. The first two runs are 3 miles each; the third one is 5 miles.

I recently received this advice: start and go slowly the first mile, increase during the second mile if you can, and give it all you have during the third mile.

Any advice how to run 5K this Sunday?

Replies

• FlTGlRL
    FlTGlRL Posts: 239
    Options
    I found this article for beginners on Runner's World.com
    Just some basic tips I'm sure you already know but if nothing else, maybe check out the website and see if you can learn anything. I'm going to continue to post interesting topics and information I find too :smile:

Running 101
    With our simple 10-week program for beginning runners, you're sure to get off on the right foot and reach the finish line with high marks. So don't wait another day. Get started now. By Joe Henderson Published 06/20/2002

For the past two years, I've been teaching a class for beginning runners at the University of Oregon. But this is no typical college course, because we spend more time running together than discussing and debating.

The class meets twice a week for 50 minutes at a time. For homework, I suggest that class members do an additional run or two each week.

I've shrunk my class lectures into mini-lessons that I can speak in minutes or write in a single paragraph. I give my students only those nuggets that are most important for them to learn in our 10 weeks together.

Think of these lessons as Cliff Notes for "Running 101." Learn them, and you can make it through your beginning-running efforts with an "A" grade.

1. Welcome to the starting line. This might be your first try at running, or a return visit, or an attempt to improve on what you already do. The less running you've done recently, the more you can expect to improve your distances and speeds in the next 10 weeks. On the other hand, the less you've run lately, the more likely you are to hurt yourself by doing too much running, too soon. That's why it's so important to set two related goals as you start or restart your running program: maximize improvements and minimize injuries. You win by improving. You lose by getting hurt.

2. Buy the right shoes. They are the biggest equipment expense for runners, so it's important to get it right. Spend wisely by buying well-made shoes from a major brand. Search out a model that fits you properly, and is designed for the surface you'll run on most often-roads, tracks, or trails. If you're not sure which shoe will work best for you, shop at a running-specialty store staffed by veteran runners and shoe experts. After you buy your shoes, remember that even the best have a limited lifespan. Plan to replace them after about 350 to 500 miles of wear.

3. Make a plan. The two basic raw materials of a running routine are time and space. And the two main reasons given by those who don't run? "I don't have time for it," and "I don't have anywhere to do it." Let's dissect those excuses. You can run well and get in great shape with as little as a 30-minute session every other day. Think of it as the time you won't waste by watching a sitcom rerun. As for finding places to run: Anywhere that's safe for walking is also fine for running. Off-road routes (parks, bike paths, high school tracks) are better than high-traffic streets, and soft surfaces (grass, dirt) are better than paved ones, but any choice is better than staying home. Major suggestion: Map out the best courses in your immediate neighborhood. That saves time, solves the "place" issue, and makes it much more likely that you'll actually do your planned runs.

4. Take the mile trial. Friends who hear that you've begun running will soon ask, "What's your best mile time?" so you might as well get used to it. Before long, you'll be calculating your pace-per-mile on longer runs, but you should begin with a simple 1-mile test run (four laps on a standard track) to determine your starting point. Think of this run as a low-key test, not a race. Run at a pace a little beyond easy but less than a struggle, and count on improving your mile time in later tests as your fitness improves.

5. Get F-I-T. Kenneth Cooper, M.D., a giant in the fitness field, long ago devised a simple formula for improving as a runner: Run 2 to 3 miles, 3 to 5 days a week at a comfortable pace. It's easier to remember as the F-I-T formula: frequency (at least every other day); intensity (comfortable pace); and time (about 30 minutes). Even with walking breaks, you can cover 2 miles in 30 minutes, and you might soon be running 3 miles in that time. It's important to run these efforts at an easy, comfortable pace. Think of yourself as the Tortoise, not the Hare. Make haste slowly.

6. Find your pace. Okay, so I've told you to make it comfortable. Sounds simple. The problem is that most beginning runners don't know what a comfortable pace feels like, so they push too hard. Result: They get overly fatigued and discouraged, or even injured. Here are some more guidelines. A comfortable pace is 1 to 2 minutes per mile slower than your mile trial time. Or you can use a heart-rate monitor and run at 65 to 75 percent of your maximum heart rate. (Note: Max heart rate is 205 minus half your age). Or, my favorite because it's so simple: Listen to your breathing. If you aren't gasping for air, and you can talk while you're running, your pace is just right.

7. Remember to warm up and cool down. Don't confuse a little stretching with a good warmup. Stretching exercises generally don't make you sweat or raise your heart rate, which is what you really want from a warmup. A proper warmup begins with walking or running very slowly to ease your body into the session.

My recommendation: Walk briskly for 5 minutes (about a quarter-mile), then break into your comfortable running pace. (Don't count the warmup as part of your workout time or distance.) When you finish your run, resist the urge to stop suddenly. Instead, walk another 5 minutes to cool down more gradually. Then comes the best time for stretching--after your run when your muscles are warm and ready to be stretched a little.
    If you can run for 10 minutes, you can run a 5-K five weeks from now. Here's how.
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Options
    I am running my third 5K race this Sunday.

Started running from non-running in May 2011. My first 5K was on 9/18/11 (time 32:22, average 10:12 minutes per mile), second 5K was on 11/13/11 (time 29.33 minutes, average 9.31 minutes per mile).

Currently, I run three times a week. The first two runs are 3 miles each; the third one is 5 miles.

I recently received this advice: start and go slowly the first mile, increase during the second mile if you can, and give it all you have during the third mile.

Any advice how to run 5K this Sunday?

That is good advice. I think the reasoning, for the most part, of going out slow for the first mile is so that you don't get caught up in going too fast trying to keep up with the pack. I've done that too many times and then you're burned out to the point the last mile is just slop. I know you've already done your race, but even in training, the first mile should be slower and you should try to finish strong. Keep something in your tank, so to speak!

Shel
  • debwaid
    debwaid Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Just some basic tips I'm sure you already know but if nothing else, maybe check out the website and see if you can learn anything. I'm going to continue to post interesting topics and information I find too :smile:

Running 101
    With our simple 10-week program for beginning runners, you're sure to get off on the right foot and reach the finish line with high marks. So don't wait another day. Get started now. By Joe Henderson Published 06/20/2002

For the past two years, I've been teaching a class for beginning runners at the University of Oregon. But this is no typical college course, because we spend more time running together than discussing and debating.

The class meets twice a week for 50 minutes at a time. For homework, I suggest that class members do an additional run or two each week.

I've shrunk my class lectures into mini-lessons that I can speak in minutes or write in a single paragraph. I give my students only those nuggets that are most important for them to learn in our 10 weeks together.

Think of these lessons as Cliff Notes for "Running 101." Learn them, and you can make it through your beginning-running efforts with an "A" grade.

1. Welcome to the starting line. This might be your first try at running, or a return visit, or an attempt to improve on what you already do. The less running you've done recently, the more you can expect to improve your distances and speeds in the next 10 weeks. On the other hand, the less you've run lately, the more likely you are to hurt yourself by doing too much running, too soon. That's why it's so important to set two related goals as you start or restart your running program: maximize improvements and minimize injuries. You win by improving. You lose by getting hurt.

2. Buy the right shoes. They are the biggest equipment expense for runners, so it's important to get it right. Spend wisely by buying well-made shoes from a major brand. Search out a model that fits you properly, and is designed for the surface you'll run on most often-roads, tracks, or trails. If you're not sure which shoe will work best for you, shop at a running-specialty store staffed by veteran runners and shoe experts. After you buy your shoes, remember that even the best have a limited lifespan. Plan to replace them after about 350 to 500 miles of wear.

3. Make a plan. The two basic raw materials of a running routine are time and space. And the two main reasons given by those who don't run? "I don't have time for it," and "I don't have anywhere to do it." Let's dissect those excuses. You can run well and get in great shape with as little as a 30-minute session every other day. Think of it as the time you won't waste by watching a sitcom rerun. As for finding places to run: Anywhere that's safe for walking is also fine for running. Off-road routes (parks, bike paths, high school tracks) are better than high-traffic streets, and soft surfaces (grass, dirt) are better than paved ones, but any choice is better than staying home. Major suggestion: Map out the best courses in your immediate neighborhood. That saves time, solves the "place" issue, and makes it much more likely that you'll actually do your planned runs.

4. Take the mile trial. Friends who hear that you've begun running will soon ask, "What's your best mile time?" so you might as well get used to it. Before long, you'll be calculating your pace-per-mile on longer runs, but you should begin with a simple 1-mile test run (four laps on a standard track) to determine your starting point. Think of this run as a low-key test, not a race. Run at a pace a little beyond easy but less than a struggle, and count on improving your mile time in later tests as your fitness improves.

5. Get F-I-T. Kenneth Cooper, M.D., a giant in the fitness field, long ago devised a simple formula for improving as a runner: Run 2 to 3 miles, 3 to 5 days a week at a comfortable pace. It's easier to remember as the F-I-T formula: frequency (at least every other day); intensity (comfortable pace); and time (about 30 minutes). Even with walking breaks, you can cover 2 miles in 30 minutes, and you might soon be running 3 miles in that time. It's important to run these efforts at an easy, comfortable pace. Think of yourself as the Tortoise, not the Hare. Make haste slowly.

6. Find your pace. Okay, so I've told you to make it comfortable. Sounds simple. The problem is that most beginning runners don't know what a comfortable pace feels like, so they push too hard. Result: They get overly fatigued and discouraged, or even injured. Here are some more guidelines. A comfortable pace is 1 to 2 minutes per mile slower than your mile trial time. Or you can use a heart-rate monitor and run at 65 to 75 percent of your maximum heart rate. (Note: Max heart rate is 205 minus half your age). Or, my favorite because it's so simple: Listen to your breathing. If you aren't gasping for air, and you can talk while you're running, your pace is just right.

7. Remember to warm up and cool down. Don't confuse a little stretching with a good warmup. Stretching exercises generally don't make you sweat or raise your heart rate, which is what you really want from a warmup. A proper warmup begins with walking or running very slowly to ease your body into the session.

My recommendation: Walk briskly for 5 minutes (about a quarter-mile), then break into your comfortable running pace. (Don't count the warmup as part of your workout time or distance.) When you finish your run, resist the urge to stop suddenly. Instead, walk another 5 minutes to cool down more gradually. Then comes the best time for stretching--after your run when your muscles are warm and ready to be stretched a little.
    If you can run for 10 minutes, you can run a 5-K five weeks from now. Here's how.

thanks for sharing this! I have looked into an app that I can use on my phone since I've never jogged/ran for a long period of time! I'll let you know you how well it works!
  • FlTGlRL
    Options

Running 101

thanks for sharing this! I have looked into an app that I can use on my phone since I've never jogged/ran for a long period of time! I'll let you know you how well it works!

My pleasure.
    Yes, keep me posted. I'm starting tomorrow so I will keep you guys posted too.
  • debwaid
    Options
    I got the app couch to 5k for my phone and it made it so easy!! And did my first day of training yesterday at the gym on the treadmill! I did it all and jogged for the whole minute each time! Now, I didn't hit any great speed but the point is that I did it!!! Feeling good!
  • FlTGlRL
    Options
    I got the app couch to 5k for my phone and it made it so easy!! And did my first day of training yesterday at the gym on the treadmill! I did it all and jogged for the whole minute each time! Now, I didn't hit any great speed but the point is that I did it!!! Feeling good!

I wish I had a decent phone plan so I could download that app.
    How are you doing with that?
  • debwaid
    Options

I wish I had a decent phone plan so I could download that app.
    How are you doing with that?
    Went for my second workout today....outside through our neighborhood. I hit start on the app but after doing that I guess I was supposed to do something else, because after a good bit, I'm thinking I should be jogging by now! After double-checking my phone, I see I haven't really started the training part!! LOL so I went a whole lot longer.....I had put some of the turkey/chicken muffins in the oven for 40 minutes and when I got back the time had gone off! A little chewier but not burnt!! lol The workout is only 30 minutes. Other than that, It is going well. Easier to do at the gym on the treadmill since our neighborhood has some hills! I figured good training though for the real 5k!!

Yeah a smartphone is the bomb!! I love my iPhone, its well worth paying extra!