When and where did your heart attack occur?

Options
priv8life
priv8life Posts: 24 Member
I was at my office on Feb 27 (3:00 PM) giving a presentation to a team of executives and lawyers. I began to sweat profusely and pressure was building up in my chest. I also felt pain in both my arms. I made it out of the boardroom after the final Q&A session, went to the lobby's front desk and asked security to call 911.

Replies

• han0115
    han0115 Posts: 8
    Options
    I was working on a train. Took some t1's and asperin and worked home for 12 hours. Went to hospital when I got in and they said I had or am having a heart attack. they flew me to a bigger city and one day later, put one non-drug stent in me. When this was going on I thought I was just tired and the locomotive seats were just bothering me as usual. i did my work OK but when you are having a heart attack you don't think right. I should have went to the hospital when I at my away from home terminal[the night before]; not go to bed and work home. I learn't one thing; NEVER BE AFRAID TO CALL 911!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a nice day, priv8life.

Bob
  • smcash2529
    Options
    I was at work and my chest kept hurting and my arm would go numb and cold and also my jaw would hurt! finally i hit the floor with such bad pain and went to hospital. But because of my young age they were not thinking heart attack they were thinking blood clots. they ran a bunch of tests and sent me home!! I later returned that night because i knew something was wrong because all the symptoms came back but much worse. they then decided to tell me i had had several heart attacks! It was 8 days before my birthday. They took me to another hospital were they put stent in my heart and i feel alot better. I will never wait again if my chest hurts the feeling is awful....Just lucky to be alive!!!!!
  • han0115
    han0115 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hope you are doing well! Boy that hospital staff missed somethings at first? Have a good day!

Bob
  • priv8life
    Options
    Glad you all made it thru the attack. I'm in Cardio Rehab and the many of the other patients tell me of those who did not make it.
  • JaymeLS
    JaymeLS Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    April 10 2011. I was at Walmart picking up those mulch bags. I went to the dollar store and when I got that done I started planting some flowers in my hanging basket and was sweating really bad. i went inside and was really hot and started to get sick. I kept telling my husband to pat my back for me to burp, he finally talked me into going to the hospital. He drove me there and i kinda remember walking up some steps into the er. I was holding on to my arms they was hurting pretty bad when i finally sat down that is when i coded. I'm 32 years old I would have never thought I was having a heart attack. I bet it was 2 or so hours til i got to the hospital. They type I had is called the widow maker. I'm just thankful to be alive.
  • priv8life
    Options
    Wow, that was close. Hope your feeling much better. I'm learning that women's heart attack symptoms are harder to detect.
  • wd61dp
    wd61dp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    April 2, 2011. I just started waxing the floor in the basement when I got a sharp pain in my jaw. (I knew right away it was my heart because I had gotten 3 stents when I was 47 with an 80% blockage) I went upstairs chewed an aspirin and put a nitro under ny tongue. Within a couple of minutes I had chest pain that was extreme. I dialed 911 (I was home alone) when I hit the second 1, I collapsed to the floor. I was sweating profusely and the pain was now in my jaw, chest and arm. The ambulance arrived with 5 minutes and my heart attack was diagnosed in the ambulance. They could not stop my heart attack, 45 minutes into it they rushed me to the Cath lab and removed a clot. My right artery was 100% blocked. I really thought I was going to die, but the care from the ambulance and hospital staff saved my life.

I now go to the gym 5 -6 days a week, have lost 30 lbs, eat a vegetarian diet, and haven't felt this good in 20 years!!!
  • iamkrissyiam
    iamkrissyiam Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    November 9, 2011 I was at work and feeling odd. I was fatigued in a strange way and knew there was something that just wasn't right. I decided to go to the E.R. but on my way home (smoking as i was driving) I started to feel better so I thought I would stop by my house and check on things. After 2 hours of watching CSI I decided I better just bite the bullet and see what was going on inside of me. The E.R. doc ran all sorts of tests and said I was fine but he was going to touch bases with the on call cardiologist. When the cardiologist came in he said all my tests were fine and he should send me home but he had a feeling and he wanted to keep me over night and do an angiogram the next day. While on the table having my angiogram I had a heart attack. I had an artery that was 99% blocked and 2 others also in the 90s. First thing the next morning (Nov. 11, 2011) I went in for a triple bypass. Not something I imagined happening at 39 yrs of age! One week before I was to return to work I lost my job. I was unable to go through cardiac rehab because I no longer had insurance.

I had done well for awhile with weight loss but since I have had to move back home with my parents (i have lost pretty much everything and am starting my life over) I am back up to my pre surgery weight. But today is a new day and I am looking forward to a new healthy adventure!!
    Krissy
  • priv8life
    Options
    Amazing story... Rely on family. That is what family is for. Walk. Walk everywhere if you can. Good luck.
  • priv8life
    Options
    wd61... thanks for sharing. Are you liking the vegetarian diet? My doc has me watching bad carbs and glycmic index.
  • wd61dp
    wd61dp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @priv8life - Yes, I really have adjusted to a vegan/vegetarian diet. I like to cook so that helps. I use to be a meat and potatoes lover and also enjoyed the occassional fast food meal. I now eat mostly scratch cooking. I enjoy hearty salads i.e. Spinach, lots of fresh veggies, fresh fruit or cranberries, some type of bean (chick peas, black, kidney or pinto beans), artichokes, etc... I rarely use dressing becasue I put fruit like blueberries, strawberries or oranges right in my salad.

I also do a lot of roasted veegies and stir fry's. I use to crave the occassional hamburger or steak, but now if I do have meat, I'm usually disappointed.
  • SIMP666
    SIMP666 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi I went to the doctors last week about my creaky knees and just mentioned to her that I had a fluttering heart a couple of weeks ago so they booked me for a ECG. I thought I had nothing to worry about, I have lost 6 stones (84 lbs) in the past 18 months and go to the gym 5 days a week. I was stunned to be told that I had had a heart attack, I just could not believe it. I now have a cardio appointment on 6th June, worrying times.

I had not realised that anything was wrong, I have had a silent heart attack. As I am going through the change I may have mistaken a hot flush foe the symptoms. Now I keep on imagining that I am feeling pains on my chest.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Simp666, 've heard that symptoms can be missed in women because they don't always get the typical chest pain. Did you get any other symptoms apart from the fluttering and hot flush? I did get the pain, but I also had a feeling of uneasiness. I hope you manage to get your medication and everything sorted out. It took me months to get the right medication and the right dose, but I seem to be stable now. It's worrying, isn't it? At the time I contacted the British Heart Foundation (I'm guessing you're in the UK as you mentioned stones) who were very helpful with information. And please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • SIMP666
    SIMP666 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi Vailara, I should find out on Wednesday when I go to the hospital. Problem at the moment is that when I go to the gym my heart rate keeps on spiking, only for a minute or so, today it went up to 230. Must admit I have a feeling of uneasiness at the moment. Hopefully the doctors can sort me out. I have added you as a friend, thank you.
  • jcolon74
    jcolon74 Posts: 7
    Options
    22-May-2012 at about 5:45 AM I parked the car on base, finished my last cigarette, and went into the Gym to work out. About 45 minutes into the session I just felt like I couldn't go on, but with some encouragement from my friends and peers I muscled through and finished the session. Walked over to a friend from work and told him I wasn't feeling right, he walked me to the front of the gym, said I was probably dehydrated and called an ambulance.

In the ambulance they told me I was having heart attack, at the hospital they they put in a stent and sent me off to Portsmouth Naval Hospital where 2 days later I had a triple bypass at 38 years old.

I'm currently in Cardiac Rehab so my "workout" is not what I'm used to, but I'm feeling so much better than I have in years, even with the extra weight I've put on. I haven't smoked since my heart attack, but I've been gaining weight since I left the hospital and it needs to stop. The food diary was something one of my doctors said to do, and that's how I got here.

I am lucky that I'm in the military, they've really taken care of me, including a month of leave after I left the hospital, and 6 months of limited duty and no problems making it to appointments.

As of this morning I was 232 lbs, and I'd like to get down to the weight I was when I joined the navy 10 years ago, 180lbs, it's been awhile.
  • priv8life
    Options
    Jcol, thanks for sharing. The Cardiac rehab worked for me too. I lost 30 pound since mine in Feb, so no worries about the weight lost journey. Even if the weight jumps up a few pounds, just get back on track or resume what works for you and let time do its thing.

Glad you are alive. Don't let that feeling go away.
  • BlestBliss
    Options
    Hi new to the group.... glad you all are here.... On 8/4/2012 while visiting my youngest daughter and talking about plans for her upcoming wedding I began to feel a bit of indigestion... which in no time began to worsen and result in heavy pressure on in the middle of my chest... then began sweating profusely and pain in my left shoulder.... my future son-in-law is a cop and recognized the symptoms immediately called 911 and they got me to the ER in no time I was immediately taken to the Cardiac Cath Lab where they found I had had a major heart attack because the largest artery on the right side of my heart was totally blocked. They inserted 2 stints and now report that there are no other blockages or other heart disease. My last cigarette was about 10 min before this all started that has not been easy along with changing my diet totally. I am now out of the hospital for 5 days staying with my daughter but so very fatigued. Not due to start cardiac rehab till I see the doc again in a week. Even the shortest walking causes my limb to feel filled with lead. I cant believe how I tire very easily . Is this common to anyone else's experiences...
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    New here as well.

Had my Heart Attack on June 1 , was home watching TV after being on vacation all week and decided to just take it easy for the day. Had severe chest pains, that just kind of came and went for about 20 minutes before it became so severe I I knew something was up, sweating, pain in my arms. I finally broken down and called 911, was still in the middle of the HA when the paramedics arrived. The ER was unsure if I had a HA as all my symptoms had subsided by the time I got there but my blood test confirmed. RCA was blocked in 2 places 99 and 95% but I only have 1 stent that covered both blockages.

I am half way thru the 24 week Cardiac Rehab that was offered to me and doing much better but still a long way to go.

@ BlestBliss yes the fatique is horrible for the 1st month or so, your body took a major hit, add in all sorts of new meds for your body to adjust to, give your self plenty of time to recoup and get back on your feet. I couldnt walk to the end of my drive with out getting winded, now I walk 2 miles a day in just under 35 minutes on my lunch hour plus the rehab 3times a week.
  • KCRunnerSteve
    KCRunnerSteve Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was sitting on my bedroom floor last Saturday wiring a network connection. I had run 2-miles with my daughter two hours earlier. It was my first run in six weeks due to an injury. Had I not been injured and stopped running, I would have been on a 20-mile run with my running group training for my eighth marathon. Luckily I was at home and close to a hospital. I was also very fortunate that there was very little damage to my heart.

Less than two hours after the pain began I was recovering in my hospital room with a stent in my left anterior descending coronary artery (a.k.a. "The Widow Maker"), which they found had a 90% blockage.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    @KCRunnerSteve That's very recent. I hope you have a good recovery. Sounds like you had very quick treatment. Thank goodness you were at home and near the hospital!