I don't "do" sweet potatoes, so some ideas please?

Options
runlaugheatpie
runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
I hear a lot about sweet potatoes but honestly have never really ate them.

What do I do with them, what can I combine them with? How do I even prepare them?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies

• NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You can bake them "in their jackets" the way you would regular potatoes then just crack them open with butter and salt/pepper.

You can also make them into fries or wedges and toss with a little egg white and then toss with a little EVOO with salt/pepper in it and bake. The egg white gives them a nice crispy coating but you can cook them without it just fine.

Otherwise, they're great as "sweet potato pie" or mashed with cinnamon salt and pepper.

Hope this gives you some ideas, if you want more details on any of the recipes I mention, just message me.
  • crossfitterwahine
    crossfitterwahine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    We dice them with the skin, put them in a baking dish with butter and cinnamon, and bake until soft. Yum!
  • luckygirl007
    luckygirl007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bake just like a potato cut open scoop out the inside and top with coconut oil (unrefined, extra virgin) and cinnamon. They can be refrigerated after cooking until you are ready to just pop them in the microwave. They are packed with nutrition so experiment away!
  • rdpollard
    rdpollard Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a "savory" guy than "sweet." I love them cubed, combined with raw pumpkin seeds, tossed with a little olive oil (not so much that they're greasy), scattered on a cookie sheet, sprinkled with salt and pepper, then baked until the edges are crispy and the seeds are roasted. This is about my favorite side dish.
  • runlaugheatpie
    Options
    thanks guys! I will pick some up see what I can do with them. I'm also more of a savoury person so am going to do them in the oven roasted to try them out first.
  • Karlaki
    Karlaki Posts: 74
    Options
    I make sweet potato 'chips' in the oven. Slice em thin, spritz with a little olive oil, sprinkle a bit of garlic powder and back until lightly browned. Delish.
  • Crimson_
    Crimson_ Posts: 60
    Options
    you can pretty much do anyhting with them that you do with normal potatoes, i make fries(baked), hashbrowns, mashed sweet potatoes, candied for holidays, endless posibilites, i have even made sweet potatoe pancakes...
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are the bomb...I am doing a strict 30 day right now and sweet potatoes are off the table on what I am following and that is what I am jonesing for...not chocolate or pasta but sweet potatoes....

I love to make a hash - cube up some sweet potatoe, cut up some cauliflower and some onion - heat some coconut oil in a big skillet and dump everything in ... add some spices (depends on whaT I am in the mood for as to which spices)...so good - even my 10 year old loves it...
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Cut into chips, spray light olive oil on them and bake in oven on cookie sheet!
  • runlaugheatpie
    Options
    maybe I should mention that I don't even eat normal potatoes very often! this is why it may seem like a dumb question!
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Although a lot of paleo/primals use sweet potatoes as a way to sneak sugar into their eating, if you're not really into eating them - good. Roots in general are carb and starch heavy, and provoke an insulin response without a lot of nutrition to show for it. Since a few of the 'colored' roots have antioxidant properties (carrots, beets, radishes, sweet potatoes) they are included as a paleo food - but it should be noted 'on an occasional basis'.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    YUMM>> sweet potatoes...White potatoes have no taste what so ever..sweet potatoes..YUMMMMMM

I just made Paleo sweet potato brownies. I made sweet potato donuts. I made a sweet potato egg casserole for morning breakfast. I have a spiral slicer so I can make baked spiral fries. Or just slice them thin and bake them that way. We eat them maybe 1x a week if that..but i LOVE THEm...
  • runlaugheatpie
    Options
    Although a lot of paleo/primals use sweet potatoes as a way to sneak sugar into their eating, if you're not really into eating them - good. Roots in general are carb and starch heavy, and provoke an insulin response without a lot of nutrition to show for it. Since a few of the 'colored' roots have antioxidant properties (carrots, beets, radishes, sweet potatoes) they are included as a paleo food - but it should be noted 'on an occasional basis'.

a ha good to know. so maybe after training?
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options

a ha good to know. so maybe after training?
    I suppose so. I'm not big into training so someone more knowledgeable in this area would have to say. But it seems I've read something to that effect. ;)