coconut milk

Options
runlaugheatpie
runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
I tried coconut milk last week and really loved it, but is it paleo? I'm trying to cut out cow's milk all together (and it's not really paleo anyway, right?) so I thought this would be a good alternative.

if it's not that's fine I won't buy it again.

thanks (for putting up with my questions!) !

Replies

• crossfitterwahine
    crossfitterwahine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Drinking it right now with my coffee! Delicious, I have it everyday. If it's pure, without any additives, it's paleo.
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If its the canned coconut milk that you can find in the asian section of the grocery store, yes that's paleo. If its the refrigerated kind, like So Delicious, I don't believe that it's 100% Paleo, but I've read about many people who still drink it. It kind of depends on your comfort zone.
  • KMAMinx13
    KMAMinx13 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It depends on what they are adding to it. I've been using Thai Kitchen coconut milk as it was the one I could find in the local grocery which was the least offensive. After reading up on guar gum (the only additive in this brand) and reading Mark Sisson's comments regarding guar gum, I decided to give this brand a try. I did find a coconut concentrate which I am going to try with no additives from Tropical Traditions which would make it 100% Paleo . I love coconut milk and I find that it is a great way to add good quality fats to my food plan. If someone else has found a commercial brand without additives, let us know. Thanks! Here are some links:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-wonderful-world-of-coconut-products/#axzz1o57Tm5AK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guar_gum

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/coconut_cream_concentrate.htm
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind traditional names and marketing gobbledegook....

Coconut milk is traditionally the liquid you get when you press the flesh of a fresh coconut. This is what comes in a can. It can either come 'whole' (with 150cals per 1/3 cup) or 'light' (50cals per 1/3 cup). The light milk is made either by a second pressing of the coconut flesh, or by adding water to whole milk and then adding a thickener to thicken it back up.

Coconut milk beverage is what the marketing guys are calling 'coconut milk' as well - trying to confuse us into thinking it has the health properties of the real coconut milk. It is what comes in half gallons and is typically sold on the same shelf as soy and almond 'milk'. Since it has about 80 cals per cup, that tells you how much actual coconut milk is in it - it has about 1/3c of light coconut milk, with the rest (2/3 cup) being water and thickeners and added calcium and vitamins.

While some might enjoy it as a thirst quencher (I prefer iced tea myself), don't kid yourself - it's a manufactured food, and shouldn't be a part of a paleo/primal diet. If you have to ADD vitamins and minerals - it isn't a paleo food. Real coconut milk on the other hand, is.
  • runlaugheatpie
    Options
    this is what I bought:

http://www.dr-martins.at/products_milkdrink.php?lang=en

I will now look up and see how to paste the image on here...
  • runlaugheatpie
    Options
    Keep in mind traditional names and marketing gobbledegook....

Coconut milk is traditionally the liquid you get when you press the flesh of a fresh coconut. This is what comes in a can. It can either come 'whole' (with 150cals per 1/3 cup) or 'light' (50cals per 1/3 cup). The light milk is made either by a second pressing of the coconut flesh, or by adding water to whole milk and then adding a thickener to thicken it back up.

Coconut milk beverage is what the marketing guys are calling 'coconut milk' as well - trying to confuse us into thinking it has the health properties of the real coconut milk. It is what comes in half gallons and is typically sold on the same shelf as soy and almond 'milk'. Since it has about 80 cals per cup, that tells you how much actual coconut milk is in it - it has about 1/3c of light coconut milk, with the rest (2/3 cup) being water and thickeners and added calcium and vitamins.

While some might enjoy it as a thirst quencher (I prefer iced tea myself), don't kid yourself - it's a manufactured food, and shouldn't be a part of a paleo/primal diet. If you have to ADD vitamins and minerals - it isn't a paleo food. Real coconut milk on the other hand, is.

thank you for this! I appreciate the info!