Hunger and when to eat

Options
MissMaggie3
MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
I have a couple of questions about hunger and calories, and would really appreciate some advice.

I'm a newbie, and I've just finished week 3 of stage 1. The hunger has really taken me by surprise - I am getting SO hungry, but not on the days I lift. I'm messing with the rules, in that I'm using the hunger as my guide rather than stick to the schedule of when I'm supposed to eat extra. Before I started this, I was maintaining on 1650, but working out a lot - circuit training, cardio etc - and always eating back my exercise calories. I'm now going over 1650 on lifting days a bit, typically by about just 100 cals I think, but on rest days I need - and I mean NEED - 300, 400 or even 500+ extra calories. I'm doing fairly gentle cardio on rest days, so I can end up with net calories of around 2300.

My first question is, should I force myself to eat extra on lifting days, or keep on using the signals my body gives me? I thought I was gaining weight, but now I seem to be the same as I was on maintenance, but I have noticed a little extra loose skin (eek!). So presumably I am gaining muscle in places. I lift in the evening, so was wondering if I'm 'carrying over' the need for extra calories for that reason.

My second question is, do you think I should assume a maintenance level higher than it was? I'm about right with the estimates according to the book (and how my body was previously), but I kind of feel my metabolism has quickly responded to the programme.

If it helps, I'm 5' 4" and I currently weigh 114 pounds. I'm age 53. I'm just about hitting the 30% protein requirement, but some days only manage 28% or 29%.

P.S. So sorry if you are seeing this in 2 different places - wasn't sure where to post.

Replies

• Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you what happens to me- about 2 weeks in my appetite went nuts too, esp on the day after lifting. Now it's like this daily!

The book recommends a weigh in 4 weeks into the prog- you should be the same weight if eating maintenance. If not, adjust your basic cals.

As long as you're not getting bigger in the waist, you're OK! :tongue:
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    good to know LOL