Tri Clothing/Suits?

Options
Question regarding what one should wear to a race: I've seen online that you can get triathlon suits and in pictures from previous races, I've seen people wearing these suits. Is this something I should invest in for my first race on June 9? Do you wear the suit for all 3 swim/bike/run without changing? Is it worth spending the $80-$100 for these suits? Or are there other options? Any suggestions on websites/brands I should look at for these suits?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I really like my tri suit, but I wouldn't call it necessary/required. If you have to buy clothing anyway for the race, then I'd get one. If you don't, I wouldn't spend the money on it just yet. IME, they are way more comfortable as everything stays in place - nothing rides up or slides down or any of that nonsense.

I started out with pretty regular clothing - speedo jammers and a basic running/biking shirt. That was more than good enough for my first sprint.
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Don't bother at this point, and save the money for something else. I completed a sprint tri last October and I wore a bathing suit and tri shorts (pearl izumi) for the swim and pulled on a cycling shirt in transition that I also ran in. I dried off pretty fast on the bike and was not wet by the time I had to run.
  • ironholgs
    ironholgs Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Not essential for your first tri, as others have said. Swim suit / shorts and a bike jersey / running top.

If you get into the sport then invest in one.

I personally prefer a two piece tri vest and shorts, purely for the fact that when racing long, it's easier to have a toilet stop.

Good luck with the training
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I have 2 tri suits, and I wear them for training more than racing. On race day, I prefer the ol' standard - a good pair of tri shorts, and an appropriate top. This changes from race to race. For a sprint, something tighter is probably nice, like a sleeveless something-or-nother. Sometimes I have a shirt in transition that I'll throw on. For longer races, I much prefer sleeves. Keeps my shoulders from frying worse than KCF chicken. But that's just me.

Good luck, and great racing!
  • kbwdad
    kbwdad Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    For your first Sprint do not invest in expensive gear. A bathing suit, tight fitting running gear etc that dries quickly works fine. Whatever you wear plan on wearing it for all 3. I have never seen for a Sprint facilities to change clothes in. You can put on shorts and shirts over your suit at transition if you feel you need to, but that adds time. Make sure TRI's are what you want to do before investing in TRI specific gear.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    For my last two seasons (total of 5 sprints) I wore either a tight running tank top with built in bra or just a sports bra with compression shorts under my wetsuit for the swim. I put a quick drying top over the bra (t-shirt to protect my shoulders like Trijoe said) or left the wet tank and shorts on for the bike. I think I may have thrown shorts over the compression shorts for my first race or two for the run.
    This year my club is ordering new tri-suits so I am going to buy one.
    It is a nice to have but certainly not necessary.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I have tri short bottoms and a tri tank top. I got them on sale through a tri store local in town. I really didnt spend that much on them.

You do wear it for your swim/bike/run. Its actually pretty comfy. You dont HAVE to wear them. There are people out there in all kinds of gear! So if you dont or cant buy them right now then dont. But if you think tri's are where you are heading and plan to do a few this summer then invest in a tri outfit that is comfy. It will last you quite a few seasons if you pick wisely!
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    ok noob question time.....what are tri shorts?

i'm going to do a sprint triathlon in june and i'm thinking i want to wear a wetsuit. (there's a place in town that rents them) i know 750m isn't that long of a swim, but even in June the water is going to be cold in Northern Alberta. so would i wear my tri shorts and shirt under my wet suit?

what else would i need for a first triathlon?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Tri shorts are pretty much just what they sound like - they are shorts that are good for all 3 disciplines. They don't absorb much water, they are tight fitting (lycra/spandex), have a bit of padding for the bike but not so much that it gets in the way on the swim/run, etc. Think lycra boxer briefs with a little padding in the crotch.

Yes, you would wear the shorts under your wetsuit. As for the shirt, I would probably put it on after the swim. If it's tight enough you can probably wear it under the wetsuit if you want.

The only things you really NEED for a tri are a swim suit, a bike/helmet, and a pair of sneakers. Sunglasses for the bike ride are all but required to keep bugs and road debris out of your eyes. A good pair of socks and good fitting goggles are worth the little bit of money they cost. IMO, you should know how to change a flat tire and replace/fix a dropped chain. If you can rent a wetsuit then that's great, but I wouldn't suggest buying one right away unless you know it's something you're going to stick with long term. Make sure you have some body glide or similar to help with getting the wetsuit on.

Have a small towel or something in transition to dry your feet off with after the swim. A water bottle and a gel/gu/whatever energy product you like and you should be set.
  • Training2Tri
    Training2Tri Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I bought an expensive ($100-$159) Tri suit for my first sprint and I loved it but honestly I don't get much use out of it unless I'm racing (which isn't all that often!!). I wouldn't suggest training in it in the pool as chlorine is super hard on clothing and I would rather save the suit for racing.

Wear on race day what you are comfortable training in. For example, if you run wearing a hat, bring a hat to race day.

For your T1 (transition 1) bring a towel and some baby powder (removes sand from your feet fast) so you can put your socks/shoes on easily. You may want to practice this once before in a brick workout (swim-->bike).

Best of luck with your training and race!!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options

i'm going to do a sprint triathlon in june and i'm thinking i want to wear a wetsuit. (there's a place in town that rents them) i know 750m isn't that long of a swim, but even in June the water is going to be cold in Northern Alberta. so would i wear my tri shorts and shirt under my wet suit?

• Mbuhler
    Mbuhler Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've done a few try-a-tri's over the last few years (planning on doing my first sprint this year) and it really doesn't matter. You will see everyone in different levels of gear and it really comes down to what you are comfortable in. Yes, down the road, I may explore more options when I have the money but for now I use what works best for me - my swimsuit and a pair of cycling shorts. Whatever you decide to wear, make sure you train in them and are comfortable in them - spend on of your "workouts" closer to the race just going through your swim/bike transition which is the hardest because you are wet. I highly recommend wearing a sports bra under your swimsuit for better support if needed (I do!). Have a towel handy for your transition. DON'T EVER try anything new on race day that hasn't been practiced and trialed in your workouts - something as little as wearing a brand new shirt may chafe and cause you unbearable blisters during your race.
    It's easy to get sucked into buying newer and better equipment - I don't need to shave seconds off my time, I need to shave off minutes so I just want to get out there, get a great workout, have a great race, and above all, HAVE FUN!!!... and shop end of season sales :)
  • Mbuhler
    Mbuhler Posts: 115 Member
    Options

I did my first races without a wetsuit - only 375m swims but there was one that was super cold and I survived - really, once you get out of the water, you warm up pretty quick. I just bought a wetsuit last season and I do love it. It does help with the cold water and if you are not a strong or confident swimmer, it helps you be more buoyant in the water. IF you do rent one (which I did before I bought), don't just rent it on race day! It is a totally different feeling and I found it constrictive and hard to breath the first couple of times out and I wasn't used to having something so high around my neck.
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Like others said, get some tri shorts and a good running shirt.
    Wear the shorts in the pool, transition to the bike, put the shirt on and shoes and get on your bike and go.

PS - take a look at the clearance section at performance bike .com I just picked up a set of pearl Isumi Trishorts there last week for 35 bucks (normally 70).

Last year I was my second season doing Tri's. I have an Epix Gear one piece suit that I wear for Sprints and Olympic Distances and I love it. I wear it thru all 3 activities.
    I also dont wear socks when I bike. (its very hard getting socks on wet feet.) I also attach my bike shoes to my bike.

So my flow looks like this....out of the swim, I run to my bike, glasses, helmet, grab my bike and run the mount line. Mount the bike w/ my feet on my shoes and get up to speed, then slip my feet in my shoes and Im off. About 100yds from approaching the dismount, I slip my feet out of my shoes, and dismount on the line. I run my bike back to my spot, remove helmet, put on visor, put socks on, put shoes on (get a pair of YANKS) and off.

2 other things - 1 - go to beginnertriathlete.com for tips on how to set up your transition area.
    2 - set up a transition area in your driveway and practice practice practice. Even if your goal is to just finish, it will make things that much better for you if you are familiar with what you are doing. Try to make it realistic. Get yourself wet and run to your bike, and try to put your shirt on, It will be very hard to do when you are wet. So figure out the best way to lay your shirt at on your bike so you can grab it, get your arms in then over your head so it doesnt get stuck.

Also - as far as wetsuits go, if you ever need one and are going to buy it, I would recommend XTerra. you can get them for about 50% off thru Beginnertriathete.com just look for the discount code.

Good luck!
  • batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would only add that if you do buy a Tri specific top it will be sausage casing tight and you should plan to wear it for the entire event. If you exit the water and try to put one of these things on it will only serve to provide a comedic moment for the spectators. They are pretty comfortable once you get past the insecurities of wearing them.

Oh yea, I would suggest buying black bottoms as they are typically very thin and see through. Don't be "that guy".
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Also - as far as wetsuits go, if you ever need one and are going to buy it, I would recommend XTerra. you can get them for about 50% off thru Beginnertriathete.com just look for the discount code.

Good luck!

I bought the $99 Sleeveless wetsuit from Xterra after a disastrous first race with a cheap, not made for swimming wetsuit. I was more than happy with it, especially for the price (I am in Canada so it was a little more expensive after shipping, duty and taxes. )
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    The xterra suits are certainly easier to find for that price, but if you don't mind deal hunting, there are better deals to be found. I've got 2 wetsuits, both bought on-line on sale, both for less than $150, both considered better suits than the xterra. One is a sleeveless TYR, the other is a long-sleeved Zoot. Both have thicker neoprene for more buoyancy than what the $99 xterra offers.

I'm not saying the xterra suits are bad (several club members have them and have been really happy), only that there are better suits out there in the same price range if you don't mind deal-hunting. Check out gearscan.com - that's where I found my zoot.

• 3dogsrunning
    Options
    The xterra suits are certainly easier to find for that price, but if you don't mind deal hunting, there are better deals to be found. I've got 2 wetsuits, both bought on-line on sale, both for less than $150, both considered better suits than the xterra. One is a sleeveless TYR, the other is a long-sleeved Zoot. Both have thicker neoprene for more buoyancy than what the $99 xterra offers.

I'm not saying the xterra suits are bad (several club members have them and have been really happy), only that there are better suits out there in the same price range if you don't mind deal-hunting. Check out gearscan.com - that's where I found my zoot.

I agree but I am just a terrible bargain hunter. I also had some issues with which sites ship to Canada and which didn't.
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Check out gearscan.com

I hate you :-) (j/k). Already dropped 50 bux on that site!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Check out gearscan.com

I hate you :-) (j/k). Already dropped 50 bux on that site!

wish I didn't see this.