Logging strength/lifting weights

Options
sedosher
sedosher Posts: 142 Member
I am almost done reading The New Rules of Lifting for Women and plan to start my lifting tomorrow evening after I purchase some heavier weighs since I don't have access to a gym (gotta love small towns).

Do you log the calories burned from lifting? I have a HRM so I can track calories burned but I know that isn't totally accurate. So I need to know if it is best to go ahead and log those calories or just stick with having one calorie goal for non-workout days and then an increased calorie goal for workout days and not worry about calories burned with weight lifting.

Thanks ladies, I am new and will probably have tons of questions. :)

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    The books says add 200 for lift days. I know I burn more because I don't follow the book but have my own program that last about 90 min. I think I burn more like 450 or so. Now when you do cardio I suggest making sure to net BMR. I am going to read the plateau forum again because I think it suggests netting your cut cals....whew that would be a lot of eating.
  • sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks as always! Right now I have my non-workout goal set at 1700 and was going to make workout days 1900...and will adjust if I need to. I have really enjoyed the book and learned at lot...thanks to you! :)
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I did legs and abs today and my HRM said I burned about 250 calories. Heart rate was up the whole time..
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Thanks as always! Right now I have my non-workout goal set at 1700 and was going to make workout days 1900...and will adjust if I need to. I have really enjoyed the book and learned at lot...thanks to you! :)

Good plan..if you do lots of cardio make sure to NET no less than BMR...
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Excited did legs and shoulder and whew it was rough going up in weights on the lunges but I did it.
    3x8 /10
    Squats 120lbs bb
    Side split squats 120lbs bb
    Pile squats 35lbs db
    Shoulder press 25lbs db
    Behind back shrugs 90lbs
    Seated calf raises 90lbs
    Front bb squats just bar
    Forward lunges 3x6 95lbs bb
    Deltoid press 15lb db
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I did legs and abs today and my HRM said I burned about 250 calories. Heart rate was up the whole time..

Man I know...my heartbeats hard and I sweat like I am doing cardio..lol
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Question-how do you determine if what you are lifting is heavy enough? I know you're supposed to lift heavy enough that your last rep is difficult, but that leaves a lot of room for interpretation. For instance, I was doing my upper routine on Monday and I happened to grab one set heavier dumbbells for an exercise. So by the time I got to the last rep I could barely lift my arms, although I got through it. At the lower weight I can feel it, but could also probably do a few more reps. Should I be going for the heavier or stay with the light for awhile? (its too bad weights seem to only move in 5 lb increments, that's a big jump to make!)
  • DecemberNick
    DecemberNick Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The times I've injured myself the most was in jumping up in weight before my body was ready. If you can execute all reps in perfect form and maybe push out an extra 2 then I would recommend going up. If you're just about making your rep goal and the last rep has you contorting your body, screaming and shaking to get up the weight, I'd think about staying at that weight until you're more comfortable. How tired you are afterwards is one indicator but, when it comes to heavy weight, form is *everything*.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Question-how do you determine if what you are lifting is heavy enough? I know you're supposed to lift heavy enough that your last rep is difficult, but that leaves a lot of room for interpretation. For instance, I was doing my upper routine on Monday and I happened to grab one set heavier dumbbells for an exercise. So by the time I got to the last rep I could barely lift my arms, although I got through it. At the lower weight I can feel it, but could also probably do a few more reps. Should I be going for the heavier or stay with the light for awhile? (its too bad weights seem to only move in 5 lb increments, that's a big jump to make!)

I know for bicep curls...whew it is hard to go up by 5lbs...I was stuck at 20lbs for a while and my hubby gave me a brilliant idea...do the first set of 8 at 20lbs, then do set of 6 at 25lbs, then back to set of 8 at 20lbs. Then the next time I did bi curls I did 2 sets of 6 at the 25lbs and the last set making sure FORM was right I could only do 4, so then I got the 20's and did 4 more with them.

Like Nick said everything is about holding your form...making sure your core is straight and that you are correctly performing the exercise. When I want to go up in weight I drop the number of reps to 6. I just did that recently with my leg routine...I wanted to go up, so I did 6 reps instead of the 8/10 reps. Then this week, I was able to bump again and felt so strong and good that I bumped up again 5lbs and did 8 reps...so listen to your body, but push yourself, but don't break your form.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

I agree with what's been said already- FORM is key here. If you cannot keep your form- then the weight is too high ..for now.

One thing I think it's important to remember is if you are using machines instead of free weights then you need to be doubly careful about lifting too heavy because the machine will take away some 'cues' from you. With free weights you can tell almost immediately if your form is off due to over-weighting an exercise. On a machine- the machine keeps your form for you so it is easy to think you are 'pushing' yourself when in fact you're doing damage to your body.

I really recommend doing free weights unless medical needs dictate using a machine- there is just such a difference between having a machine keep your form and you keeping your own form. That said- if you are using a machine, it's important to have a plan to move upward- don't just make huge leaps because you can't fine-tune the weight as easily as with free weights. I agree that Lucia's 'lower rep at new weight' will help and minimize possible damage.

I don't say this to frighten anyone- not like the weights have little teeth or can't eat after midnight :) It's the same care we would take with picking up an unknown weight box or piece of furniture- that same sense of 'Oooh- might need an extra hand to help carry this' will serve you well in knowing what weight is too much. Soon you can build up and you'll be lifting furniture with your pinky... well maybe :D
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Yes Gemiwing, I love free weights because they tend to force you to more muscles (especially stabilizer muscles). Big difference in doing chest presses on machine...or a smith machine...and the BENCH! HUGE DIFFERENCE!
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    I am doing the free weights and being careful of form. I will take everyone's advice here and wait until it is not quite so challenging to up the weight to be sure I don't injure myself, thanks!