Step up Substitute

Options
Tara4boys
Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
Kind of a weird quedtuon for such a straight forward exercise but let me explain. At my gym the steps and risers are kept in the aerobics room which is locked during non-business hours. So this morning early I'm at gym and darn it it's step up day. I tried using a lifting benchnut it's higher and padded and I reall pulled something. Won be doing that again!!!

Is there any other exercise that would mImic step ups or a machine exercise?

Replies

• MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have been in a similar predicament. I didn't have a step used a step stool. Did you ask the front desk if you could get one? They should be accommodating.
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Can they unlock the room for you or maybe keep one out? Is there anything from home that you could bring?? Hmmm....I can't really think of any exercise that would be similar.....

Oh, maybe you could use the back of a treadmill? :)
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I use my stairs- the 2nd stair is a good 13" height for 90 degree angles.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    On most videos I've seen they use an actual weightlifting bench as the step- there must be one of those in your gym in the weights area?
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    On most videos I've seen they use an actual weightlifting bench as the step- there must be one of those in your gym in the weights area?

I used that and didn't feel stable enough. I pulled a muscle big time and had to quit my workout.

I guess I'll talk to gym manager and see if they can leave me one out. There isn't a good place for them to put on though - I'm not sure if they will do it. I was looking at Stage 2 and both A and B use a step. Ugh!
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I was actually coming here to ask about step-up - specifically what people use as I'm having a hard time finding something "just right". The old 80's step aerobics step I have is too low. I've been using my weight bench. It's a little high, and was a little too much when I had to do 15 reps. Darn if that doesn't shoot my heart rate up to 165 (with 15lb dumbbells).

I like the idea of the stairs - I may have to try that. Anybody else find something that is good to use?
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i've been using the old 80's turquoise and mauve step with 5 risers under each side. the benches are padded and the blocks seemed more stable.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I used a folding chair and it was a perfect height for me.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    For those with adjustable aerobic step and a weight bench but both are the wrong heights, can you use the lowest level of the step to step up onto the bench to get a more appropriate height?
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    For those with adjustable aerobic step and a weight bench but both are the wrong heights, can you use the lowest level of the step to step up onto the bench to get a more appropriate height?

Excellent idea! I know Ive used the weightlifting benches and done injury in the past You also cant but help push off with your back leg which is a no no!