Am I doing this right?

Options
Smuterella
Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
OK - my calc came out as:

655 + (9.6 x 59) + (1.8 x 165) - (4.7 x 33) = 1364

I would say my activity level is sedentary (I have an office job where I sit all day but I work out with weights 3 x a week for 30 minutes and cardio twice a week for 40 minutes but currently log this with my HRM values and eat it back)

so 1364 x 1.2 = 1637 RMR
add 10% = 1800
remove 15% = 1350 cut level calories

I am currently eating at 1370 according to MFP and eating back my exercise calories - should I just carry on with that as these figures are similar?

Replies

• Lupiemomma30
    Lupiemomma30 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    15% of 1800 is 1530... You took 15% of what?
  • Smuterella
    Options
    Crap, I can't add up today! that is what I get for 5 hours sleep. :-)

1530 is much nicer. Thanks.

Do I still eat back the exercise calories though?
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    OK - my calc came out as:

655 + (9.6 x 59) + (1.8 x 165) - (4.7 x 33) = 1364

I would say my activity level is sedentary (I have an office job where I sit all day but I work out with weights 3 x a week for 30 minutes and cardio twice a week for 40 minutes but currently log this with my HRM values and eat it back)

so 1364 x 1.2 = 1637 RMR
    add 10% = 1800
    remove 15% = 1350 cut level calories

I am currently eating at 1370 according to MFP and eating back my exercise calories - should I just carry on with that as these figures are similar?

Hey there, I don't think you should use the 1.2 activity level but the 1.375

So that is 1364 * 1.375 = 1875.5
    add 10% = 2063.05
    Remove 15% = 1753.59

So, I would recommend you cut to doing 1700 on nonworkout days
    On workout days eat back most of your exercise calories. Try not to ever net less than your BMR on your workout days.

Also, is there any way to incorporate strength training into your routine...lifting helps you burn fat and retain muscles....also make sure to change ratios according as mentioned in the TDEE topic along with making sure you are getting in enough protein.
  • Smuterella
    Options
    thank you. I'm going to try the 1500 first and see how I get on and then possibly move up to 1700. I'm excited to have more food the play with, I do love eating!
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    thank you. I'm going to try the 1500 first and see how I get on and then possibly move up to 1700. I'm excited to have more food the play with, I do love eating!

That sounds like a plan...make sure you eat back your calories for sure then and stay above BMR. Now you may loose a little then stall out again, that is when it is time to up the calories.
  • kazzamcamille
    kazzamcamille Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Can someone help me calculate mine ?
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Can someone help me calculate mine ?

Hey lady, the Discussion on TDEE which is at the top of the topics list for this group. It has the calculation, but also a link to a site that will allow you to plug in the number and it gives you your TDEE and I believe your cut/bulk too... But that article really breaks it down...please take a moment to read it.
  • kazzamcamille
    Options
    Okay thanks:)!
  • kazzamcamille
    Options
    Okay I got 2201 as my TDEE and 1607.23 as my BMR sooooo now what ? LOL I read the thread but I'm not so sure what to do with these numbers. Am I supposed to eat my BMR?
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Okay I got 2201 as my TDEE and 1607.23 as my BMR sooooo now what ? LOL I read the thread but I'm not so sure what to do with these numbers. Am I supposed to eat my BMR?

Are you trying to lose weight?

If so, 15% of your TDEE would be your starting weight loss #. So you'd eat around 1870
  • kazzamcamille
    Options
    Yes I am trying to lose weight. Okay I'm going to up my calories and see how I do this week thanks!!! I also have no idea how to take 15% of that lol. IDK why I don't know that? LOL
  • 31prvrbs
    Options
    LOL. 1870 is 15% of your TDEE (for future reference multiply by .15 to find out what 15% is, which in this case is 330) ;)
  • kazzamcamille
    Options
    Awwww thanks so much: )))) !!!
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    What is cut/bulk?

My BMR is 1574

TDEE is 1889

I am calculating eat 1600 on non work out days. I am sedentary at the moment and work an office job part time.

I am trying to get an exercise regime together for when I can start exercising next month. It has been a LONG time since I exercised!

I am 184lbs hoping to get to 135lbs at some point.

Is 1600 correct on nonworkout days? When I start exercising it should be 1800 calories?
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    What is cut/bulk?

My BMR is 1574

TDEE is 1889

I am calculating eat 1600 on non work out days. I am sedentary at the moment and work an office job part time.

I am trying to get an exercise regime together for when I can start exercising next month. It has been a LONG time since I exercised!

I am 184lbs hoping to get to 135lbs at some point.

Is 1600 correct on nonworkout days? When I start exercising it should be 1800 calories?

For cut amount subtract 15% frm your TDEE and for bulk add 15%

If you lift then add 200 to cut aount...if you do cardio then make sure to eat back enough calories to at least NET Bmr
  • sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I have just joined this group on suggestion from one of my MFP's, I have been the same for 6months or so and have decided I need to up my calories....I don't strictly stay within 1200 but just that number makes me anxious! so I calculated what I would be at maintenance and took 500 off that so my goal should be 1430...I am only 5foot 1 and I weigh about 125lbs hoping to lose another 12lbs....I am currently doing the Asylum program in week 3, and have completed Insanity, I work out 6 days a week, I also lift weights but not as much atm with this programme.....should I be eating my exercise cals back too.....I get so confused ALL the time about what I should be doing and I get frustrated....so I'm hoping to get this thing right! I don't lose weight easily at all....any info you can provide would be so much appreciated!
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Hi there,

I have just joined this group on suggestion from one of my MFP's, I have been the same for 6months or so and have decided I need to up my calories....I don't strictly stay within 1200 but just that number makes me anxious! so I calculated what I would be at maintenance and took 500 off that so my goal should be 1430...I am only 5foot 1 and I weigh about 125lbs hoping to lose another 12lbs....I am currently doing the Asylum program in week 3, and have completed Insanity, I work out 6 days a week, I also lift weights but not as much atm with this programme.....should I be eating my exercise cals back too.....I get so confused ALL the time about what I should be doing and I get frustrated....so I'm hoping to get this thing right! I don't lose weight easily at all....any info you can provide would be so much appreciated!

Oh no you must calculate your tdee and subtract 15%....when you restrict so much you slow down your metabolism. So if your Tdee is 1930 then subtract 15% then when you lift add 200 cals...if you do cardio eat back at least a net of your bmr.
  • sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Ok great....so I worked it out to be 1924! WOW this scares me!!! BUT I'm sicking of going around in circles so I'm going to give it a shot...thankyou for the info...:o)
  • 31prvrbs
    Options
    What is cut/bulk?

Bulk= build muscle by eating in slight surplus, lifting heavy weights

Cut= reduce body fat by eating in slight deficit, still lifting heavy weights

So you pick the goal that best applies to your situation (instead of trying to do both at the same time), and plan your cals accordingly. You can also alternate between the two for optimal results (one month bulk/two months cut or one month bulk/one month cut, etc..)

~Kiki
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Howd id you arrive at 200 calories added back if doing weight lifting?

I am actually going to start with the body weight beginners plan from nerdfitness.com and see how that goes. I don't have weights at the moment and won't be able to purchase any until my tax return. Wish me luck!