Bodybuilding newbie at 47

Options
kikih64
kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
I'm looking for some insight/advice. I will be 48 this year and have decided that I need to add weights to my routine. I've always been pretty active cardio-wise, but have never seriously tried to lift. I read some stuff on bodybuilding.com, and I fell into the typical female stereotype - cardio, cardio, cardio, then maybe a zillion reps with a two pound weight. That website is great and I've been looking at some of the plans. I love the pics of the fit women (not the steroid kind - that's not my goal) and really hope I can achieve results like that. I don't plan to make it a total life change though - I still need time to do things other than working out, and I'll still cheat a little on my diet, drink a little, that type of thing.

Has anyone else out there started late in life, and what were your results? Any advice, tips? Thanks all!

Replies

• Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I work with many weightlifting newbies...it can be done and you don't have to work out for hours or be totally deprived. I am living proof of that.

Weights are the fountain of youth, no ifs,ands,butts about it. Cardio will not give anyone that lean sexy,strong defined look...

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
  • aliciakay3086
    aliciakay3086 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I started at 41 and I love it. I was a total runner/cardio queen but I'm never going back to that - lifting heavy and eating more is much more fun!

Get the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" and follow the workouts in it. Good luck!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,987 Member
    Options
    alicia gave you the right advice....and join the group (here on mfp) called "NROL4W". There's TONS of information there - and a VERY LARGE support group.

I'm 43. I've been a cardio gym-rat for 25+ years....and, I gave it ALL up for weight-training last fall. I'm in Stage 3 (now) of NROL4W and it is UNBELIEVABLE how *strong* I am becoming. Unbelievable.

Strong *is* the new skinny!
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help! I've seen the New Rules book recommended, but as a total newbie is it safe for me to try on my own or should I get a trainer? I joined a gym, but so far have only been doing light weight and bodyweight moves. It seems a little intimidating to go on my own, but we have a nice wellness room at work, so I could work out for free! I'll go look for that group Beeps, thanks! Love the tag line, btw. I've seen that there are t-shirts out there. Planning to get one as soon as I set and hit a goal.
  • abigail1977
    abigail1977 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend hiring a personal trainer, even if it is just for a few sessions. They can teach you what you need to do and how to do it properly. My trainer also helped me with my nutrition plan.