Classic Zone or Zone 1-2-3?

Options
cranberrycat
cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
What kind of Zone plan do you follow? Classic Zone? or Zone 1-2-3?

I follow Classic Zone, I have counted blocks for years. However, I have come to realize that just counting blocks does not guarantee that I am staying within my calorie allowance. And, am not the strictest of zoners, and I allow myself to "cheat" now and then. I would rather cheat and worry about the total caloric intake, than to not pay attention to calories and try to make up for my mistakes by eating more protein and fat.

I tried Zone 1-2-3 foods a few years ago, and I was not that impressed. Just me, but not worth the expense. However, I can see the value in using the products as a convenience item.

So what do you do?

Replies

• my4boysrock
    Options
    I think I follow the classic zone diet. I honestly don't know the difference. I eat 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. Is that the classic zone? I love the Zone meals in minutes book. what kind of quick meals do you eat often?
  • cranberrycat
    Options
    If you are eating food that you prepare, then you are eating classic zone.

If you are using foods that are sold online, then it is Zone 1-2-3. Not sure if you are aware, but Dr. Sears via Zone Labs has created an extensive line of breads that are "molecularly baked" and so they are perfectly balanced with protein/carbs/fat.

The Zone foods might be good for the sake of convenience, but personally, it is still a wheat product, and not a lot of fiber.
  • my4boysrock
    Options
    Zone 1 2 3 is way too expensive so I am doing the classic zone!
  • cranberrycat
    Options
    Well, looks like they have discontinued most of their products as of 3/31/12. Mute point now!
  • Sherri1210
    Options
    Classic zone is the best way to go. Tough at first , but gets easier.
  • jaydpiii
    jaydpiii Posts: 1
    Options
    I think I follow the classic zone diet. I honestly don't know the difference. I eat 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. Is that the classic zone? I love the Zone meals in minutes book. what kind of quick meals do you eat often?
    YES, that is the Classic Zone.
    ZONE 1-2-3 were the new (now gone) ZONEFAST foods, but now refers to another way of portioning.
    ZONE 1-2-3 1 portion of Fat 9 grams, Twice that for Protein 18 grams, and Thrice that for Carbohydrates 27 grams.
    For an equivalent (not exactly) 3 block meal. Technically 3 blocks of Protein is 21 grams.
  • cranberrycat
    Options
    Good to see you! Glad you joined us!