Please post ideas for at home or gym workouts

Options
ANewLucia
ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
Guys would you post some of your workout routines...especially at home routines and such. We have many people that would like some ideas on at home lifting. I'm a gym rat so I need some help here thanks so much.

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'd be glad to share my home gym routine :)

I have some physical medical limitations to how often I can workout- so adapt for you as needed :)

I work out to exhaustion- which means I work out with low reps/high weight until I can't do another rep- then I back off and change muscle groups. My workout goes anywhere from half an hour (lower body) to 45 minutes (upper body).

Here's how I work out-

Monday- Rest
    Tuesday- Upper body
    Wednesday- Rest
    Thursday- Cardio
    Friday- Lower Body
    Saturday- Rest
    Sunday-Rest

I do not do a 'core' or 'ab' workout- I use free weights for my upper body workout- which also works out my abs and core nicely.

Upper body-
    Triceps extension
    Bicep curl/ preacher curl
    Forearm rotations
    Side raises/ Barbell rows.

Lower Body
    Standing calf raises
    Leg extensions
    Leg curls/ squats

How I work out each muscle group- regardless of exercise I choose.

Pick a weight to start with that is light enough you can do 12 reps easily. This is a warm-up set.
    Next, add 2.5- 5 lbs to that weight. Repeat exercise for 10 reps. Rest a few seconds between sets.
    Add another 2.5-5lbs again- Repeat exercise for 8 reps.
    Add another 2.5-5lbs again- Repeat exercise for 6 reps.
    Immediately go back to start weight for session and do 12 more reps.
    Rest for a minute, grab some water. Move on to next exercise.

Q-"How will I know I've done this system right?"
    A- When you simply cannot do 7 reps of your highest weight and when moving back down to your original weight still makes your muscles burn.

Q- "Will this work for any exercise?"
    A- Yep, for most of them. Exceptions are crunches- because I don't do them :)

Q- "Do you ever change the exercises you do?"
    A- Yes! I get bored easily and need the constant challenge.

Q- " Do you do the same weight each workout?"
    A- No! Up your start weight by 2.5- 5lbs each new workout. GIVE YOUR REST DAYS TO REST. If you do not rest with this program you will do NOTHING to help your weight loss or health. You will only become exhausted.

I love my workout- it's fast, dirty and I feel like a boss when I chug my recovery shake afterward. Each time I workout I hit a new lifting high for me- and that's a great feeling :D
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    I just re-joined a gym this week but prior to that I was all at home! For the last two weeks I've been using routines from www.bodybuilding.com. They have a large number of pre-designed routines specifically for women. The nice thing with this website is that each exercise shows alternate exercises so I didn't have a problem replacing something I didn't have proper equipment for. It also has videos for all the exercises to show the proper form and I will admit I had to watch almost all of them!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I workout exclusively from home using mostly DVDs by Cathe Friedrich (cathe.com). I also like all of the free info available on bodybuilding.com.

An excellent choice for those w/limited equipment & time would be the free at home workouts available at

bodyrock.tv (<<<< beware opening the page in front of little ones, random workout "poses" are often on the main page) :huh:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZuzkaLight
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info I will be checking some of these sites out.
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Actually, when I start training with people, especially if they come to my house,I start with warm ups first, then I have them do 1 set of each body part til failure with the weights, especially if this is their first time. Working them till failure on lite weights gives them an idea of what's in store. I observe and watch carefully what's their strengths and what's the weakness'. From their I lean on more on their weaknesses until they start improving. Once they get use to certain workouts, then i increase the cardio and weight training.
  • helened
    helened Posts: 42
    Options
    Beyond routines there is the equipment question.

So I just thought I would add to this.

I love my weights, but when there is an exercise I don't have the equipment for or heavy enough weights, I have found that I have done really well with a set of bodylastics resistance bands. They come labeled with a weight equivalent and attachments. I find that they were well worth the investment (~$50 for a set that takes you to about 100 lbs of resistance). Bonus: it comes with exercise DVDs, instructions and are great for traveling.
  • helened
    helened Posts: 42
    Options
    http://www.jefit.com/routines/

Is a nice database with a lot of routines with different goals and levels.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap dumbbell set from wal-mart, and I work out in my bedroom or my shed. My plan right now is when I get to where I can do 12 reps without difficulty, increase my weight. I am currently working out with two 17.5 dumbbells. But I'm also pretty new at this and looking for new ideas!
    Here is my current routine:
    Sumo squats with knee lift (3 sets, 12 reps)
    Pushups (3 sets, 35 regular pushups)
    Front lunge with overhead press (3 sets, 12 reps)
    Bent over side rows (3 sets, 12 reps)
    Back lunge with butterflies (3 sets, 12 reps)
    Plie squats with bicep curls (3 sets, 12 reps)
    Overhead tricep extensions (25 lbs on this one, balancing on one foot, 3 sets, 12 reps)

Then I do my core exercises. Reverse crunches, butterfly kicks, 2-minute planks, throwing kicks and punches from a lying or rolling to sitting position, etc.