i knew something had to be wrong..

Options
brianafaye2
brianafaye2 Posts: 166 Member
when i was 15 i was very fit and healthy, but by the time i turned 18 i gained over 50lbs! i recently went to the doctor wondering why i was having these issues. i tried to hard to lose weight, and unlike b4 i couldnt. i wasnt sure if i wanted to talk to the doctor about it, because i was afraid they would just tell me how lazy i am. I finally got up the courage, and she said it may be hypothyrodism. so i got blood tests done and she was right. i think my body is a little out of wack now because i was on the meds and i became "hyper" and now im on a different dose. will that effect my weight loss?

Replies

• jennachua
    Options
    hi, there! i know just how you feel! i have both grave's disease (which pulls me hyperthyroid) and hashimoto's disease (which pulls me hyperthyroid), and these two autoimmune disorders coupled with medication and treatments causes this constant yo-yo effect on my body! i used to be insanely hyperthyroid (actually have a condition called thyrotoxicosis and was hospitalized for thyrotoxic crisis twice), and while it was fun to eat a ton of junk food and still lose weight, it was extremely dangerous! after over a year of practice with the swings, i realize that my appetite is related to whether i'm hyper, hypo, normal; and i simply need to remind myself what i actually need and not give into what i want. despite it being easy to crave the foods i once ate when i was hyper and had a voracious appetite, it's simply my mind that's trained to crave those foods...but when my metabolism isn't going crazy, i don't actually want or need those things! so instead of giving into the cravings, i head to the gym and drink lots of water! i know it's hard and frustrating, but just allow yourself to understand what your body wants and needs! :) good luck!!!
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    We all feel your pain, but don't fall too far into believing that your weight gain is all because of your thyroid!! We typically GAIN weight because we eat wrong - processed food, fast food, sugary food, gluten, simple carbs. Then we go "uh oh" and try to lose the weight we gained by eating bad and your metabolism will not kick in and give up the fat stores.

So, I've come to the conclusion after fighting Hypo/Hashi/Reverse T3 that the ability to lose weight is from the thyroid disease, but the gaining of weight is from bad habits.

You will have to play around with your food ratios to find the # of carbs/fat/protein that you need to lose weight. It's very different for all of us. You do have youth on your side -- so don't wait until you are older - get active, eat clean, drink water, etc.

I also avoid anything with gluten -- that might not be for everyone, but many with thyroid issues are adversely impacted by gluten. It is a sticky substance in your gut that can cause "leaky gut".. it can allow small food particles to escape into your blood stream and cause our body to generate antibodies against the food we eat -- because food doesn't belong in our blood stream!!

So -- be honest with yourself about what you eat - just because you eat 1200 calories a day, if it is full of empty calories and no nutrition, it will be tough to lose the weight.

Terri