Every little helps!

Options
mrFerris
mrFerris Posts: 122 Member
We hear this phrase wherever we go so I thought I would give you my little bit of 'Every little helps'

It's a cold morning and we wrap up in coat and scarf tightly wrapped around our necks, Gloves snuggling on hands and then thrust into our warm cosy pockets ready to take our daily 30 or 60 minute walk. Sounds good. I may burn a few hundred calories and that would be nice but is there anything I can do to increase the calorie burn? After all, every little helps!

Yes there is. Consider removing a layer of clothing. Maybe not the coat but something that might leave you just a little chilly - not cold. As you walk you will walk just a little faster to warm yourself up and this will burn that extra few calories. Also your body mechanisms will cause a little shiver that warms you up too and again, burns those few extra calories. (Even shivering burns more calories than you might think)

Take those hands out of your pockets and allow them to swing gently by your side as you walk. As your arms swing your muscles are working to cause them to swing and this too burns those few extra calories. We may not be talking about massive increases here guys but, as the title says - Every little helps.

If you jog instead of walk, jog with your hands raised a little higher. The heart works harder as it needs to pump the blood up hill to your hands - working it a little harder.

Feel free to add any of your own 'Every little helps' tips! I know for sure I could use them!

Replies

• SARBelgians
    SARBelgians Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Add a good fitting backpack with 10# in it....calorie burn goes way up....even on a simple walk.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    All of those tips make sense & I absolutely work! For myself, because Ive been out in the cold a lot, I sometimes jog during my walk mostly because I want to increase my average speed on my hrm but also to "wake up" or "warm up". And when I go hiking sometimes I throw in extra smaller hills before I get to the bigger ones I must include.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I went for a walk in 18 degree temperature a while back. Was out about 30 minutes and came back. Put on wool hat, sweats under my pants, a sweatshirt on top of two tees, a hooded sweatshirt over that, and then a heavy coat. Then since I couldn't find my winter gloves I put on two pairs of garden gloves. BTW, I found 5 left handed winter gloves. How the heck does that happen!

Anyway, went back out and got in a total of 9.7 miles.