getting in the required fluids, pre-op pahse here and worrie

Options
mfisher16508
mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
SO my surg is next week, I am scared, I tell my hubby he says youll be fine, so much for therapeutic rapport, I guess thats just the nurse in me....lol..we dont tell peeps they will be fine or not to worry, we ask why are you scared, why are you nervous, blah blah blah....

So I know I have to get in alot of fluids, give me some tricks of the treade that you use to remind yourself to drink drink drink....cause I am overcoming the gulping ( I drink fast, eat fast too) and that was hard...but how in the hell can I get all that fluid in with just 24 hours, I will be compliant of course but I need tips, I am getting super nervous can you tell????

ALso share you post surgery with me like immediately after, good or bad, dont sugar coat nuttin that way if it happens to me Ill know its normal....

Bring it on I am ready to learn more today!!!

Replies

• skatermom503
    Options
    As far as fluids go, keep a bottle of water with you all the time and sip it constantly. Getting in enough water is especially hard in the first weeks post op because your pouch is so small and you will only be able to sip. Gulping fluids will be a thing of the past for a long time. I still have trouble getting in enough water so don't expect miracles right away.

I was scared before surgery too. I am a nurse but had never had surgery myself (and I am 58!) and I think being a nurse makes it worse. We know too much. But I was comfortable with my surgeon's skills and track record and had been in the short stay unit (they send everybody to surgery from there at that hospital, not just day surgeries) when I had a colonoscopy a few months before so it all helped with my nerves. As long as you are at a hospital and on a unit that is used to working with your surgeon, you really will be fine. My surgery went without a problem and I don't remember a thing from the Versed until I woke up as they were wheeling me into my room. The pain wasn't too bad and was well controlled by PCA (which I pressed liberally the first night). I was walking that night and was up showering the next morning. They give you liquids the morning after surgery and you will be amazed at how little you can eat and how long it takes. I had surgery on a Friday and was home Sunday. Gas pains were a problem around the 3rd night but that was expected. Also, (and this was the worst) I went home and weighed myself and had gained 15# in 3 days in the hospital!!! I nearly fainted!! But it was just the fluids and I lost it in about a week to 10 days. I tend to retain the Pacific Ocean though so don't think it will be so dramatic for you. It was funny, as an RN I should have known that and it never occurred to me!! So now I warn everybody!

As a nurse, I was a fanatic about walking, calf stretching, and incentive spirometer. I was off all pain meds by the 5th post op day. I didn't have any surgical complications.

I was semi-miserable and occasionally regretting having had the surgery often during the first 3 or 4 months. I had so much trouble getting in enough water and eating anything but in the last month that has improved. And now I feel normal except for the amounts of food I eat. I am not trying to discourage you but want you to know that, as with all things, there is a period of adjustment. And if MFP is any indication, I took longer to adjust than the majority who have this surgery. Now I have no regrets about having had it and you won't either. Just be aware that there are some things you will have to get used to.

The surgery is going to be the easy part and if will be a relief to you when you finally had it. There are so many hoops to jump though in the months pre-op that it will seem a little unreal to you.

You will do great. This site is so good for getting answers. Your doctors, etc can only give you basic information. They haven't had the experience on a personal level. Your husband is a guy and you can't expect him to say the right thing. Just so he's there for you.

I know you're scared but you should also be getting excited. You are going to change your life with this. It's not magic and it does take work. You still have to make good food choices but sweets, etc. don't hold the allure for me they used to. And breads (my old favorite) are the thing I tolerate least. So your pouch does make some of the decisions for you. Trial and error will teach you what the pouch lets you eat. And you might hit the occasional plateau but it will pass. I am even going to the gym now. Don't like it and don't do more than an hour at most 3 or 4 days a week but I do it and I never would have before this surgery. And today I could cross my legs (wasn't a pretty site but I did it!!).

So, it's okay to be scared but don't let it overwhelm you. With the lap procedure, the surgery risks go way down. Just trust your surgeon and do your homework (which I'm sure you have) and everything will go great.
  • mfisher16508
    Options
    THANK YOU for that.

I am super excited too, it is just that the nerves are kicking in, lol...
    I had surgery in December for a infected finger that turned into osteomyelitis, so they had to go in an scrape that bone. I even got propofol...lol..I felt like the king of pop.
    God rest his soul.

My hubby is great at being there, I guess he just doesnt know what to say, I know he is nervous too, we will make it thru this, hell it will benefit him too lol...he will have a 36 year old hottie on his hands in the coming months....woohoooo....

so I have another ???? or 100. what did you take to the hospital with you, I will take my own pants slippers and shirt, even if they have to disconnect me so I can change I dont care, I guess cause I dont mind doing it for patients.

I bought a special bottle, sounds weird but its like my first stethascope which I still use and refuse to stop unti lt cracks from decay, lol.....I have a kit with new measuring cups and spoons and little tiny storage containers, should I buy a timer????

The IVF thing freaks me out, Maybe they can give me some bumex b4 I go home, at least then I can tell my pts I know how they feel when they have to pee at crazy hours.....haha

I cant believe that it is almost here, there were times I wanted to just throw in the towel.....I wonder if they tape the procedure and if I can wtch it when its done, things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • mfisher16508
    Options
    also sometimes I think being a nurse is better for us, we know what to look for as far as normal and not so normal.....we rock and we are under-appreciated for sure, so I want you to know that I appreciate what you do.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Bringing stuff to the hosp: Don't bother - you will be stuck to an IV for the entire time - they pulled mine out an hour before I was discharge. I had my own pj's, but the johnny is much better for the nurses and MD to check incisions, clean them and empty the drain. I had slippers and bathrobe - never used them. They have those slipper sox that I wore all the time, and when I went for a walk, it was easier to reverse a johnnie and wear that.

When they pulled out the urinary catheter, I hated how often I had to use the bathroom to pee. The first couple times I closed the door - after that I didn't care who was in the room or where they were, I was so tired of getting up and going - especially during the night when the night CNA had to come and disconnect it all from the wall. Sometimes she didn't come right away - I almost couldn't hold it.

The two things I used from home was my own pillow - along with as many hospital pillows I could get. They supported my arms, legs, sides, you name it - I felt snug as a bug in the rug. The other was nasal spray. I have to have a squirt every nite to breathe freely all nite. If I didn't bring it, I wouldn't have been able to breathe through my nose. Yes, I'm addicted to it - rebound syndome.

My stay in the hosp was pretty easy, quick and virtually pain free. The first night and day after surgery, I had that pump and I used it. But the days after that, I didn't need it very often at all. If I knew I was going to be using the B.R., I pressed the pump. The nurses told me not to be a martyr - use the pain med. You'll sleep better and feel better. I took their advice. I had percocet for home use and used maybe 4 pills the first week. Switched over to tylenol pretty quickly.

My only hint for water the first weeks after - works for me, maybe not everyone, is drinking a 2c mug of tea the hour before eating anything. Now that I'm back to work, that is harder cuz the microwave isn't at my beck and call. A waterbottle goes with me everywhere - and often I forget where I left it. It continues to bug me that I can't get all the water I need.

Last, but not least, concentrate on getting in lots of protein - 50-90g/daily. Good for everything bypass related AND slows down hair falling out. The more protein, less the hair fall out.

Hope this helps to calm the nerves. Best of luck.
  • skatermom503
    Options
    Christine (Risskie) gave you good input. I only took my bathrobe, clean undies, toothbrush, shampoo/cond. A puzzle book (I'm addicted to Sudoku!) and a book to read. Most hospitals give you those little slipper socks which I love and now have a nice little collection of.

Chris is right about the pain meds too. Take them!! Especially the first day or 2. And you need to have around 60 grams of protein (depends on your doctor but that is the ballpark) every day. I usually can only do that by drinking protein shakes.

I don't have a timer so that's up to you. Pretty much your body is going to set the time and you will find yourself full after very little time and very little food. I would buy a food scale at some point as you get to tolerating larger portions. I have the Biggest Loser one. Less than $20 at Bed,Bath, and Beyond. But any scale will work.

And your right about your hubby, He is scared too. Probably both of your surgery and how you might change emotionally after you lose weight. Just something for you to think about.

Take care. This will be a wonderful thing for you!!

Oh, and I begged for some Lasix post op without success! :(
  • mfisher16508
    Options
    Christine (Risskie) gave you good input. I only took my bathrobe, clean undies, toothbrush, shampoo/cond. A puzzle book (I'm addicted to Sudoku!) and a book to read. Most hospitals give you those little slipper socks which I love and now have a nice little collection of.

Chris is right about the pain meds too. Take them!! Especially the first day or 2. And you need to have around 60 grams of protein (depends on your doctor but that is the ballpark) every day. I usually can only do that by drinking protein shakes.

I don't have a timer so that's up to you. Pretty much your body is going to set the time and you will find yourself full after very little time and very little food. I would buy a food scale at some point as you get to tolerating larger portions. I have the Biggest Loser one. Less than $20 at Bed,Bath, and Beyond. But any scale will work.

And your right about your hubby, He is scared too. Probably both of your surgery and how you might change emotionally after you lose weight. Just something for you to think about.

Take care. This will be a wonderful thing for you!!

Oh, and I begged for some Lasix post op without success! :(

I laughed out loud when I read this "Oh, and I begged for some Lasix post op without success! :(
    [/quote]

too funny, I am not afraid to take the meds, as long as its not vit d/dilaudid, you know the one, any other I am ok with, I would prefer pills though, a pca pump seems too much Ill let you know how I feel about that next week, wink wink....

I am glad that I am having the surgery at the hospital I work at so I can pull a computer into the room and update you all and vent if needed, and do some CEU's and my mandatories for work, lol.....

I have a script diuretic at home, hopefully I wont need it, but ya never know......woohoooooo I am almost there ladies...
  • tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My husband is the same way. He says that he's I'll be fine. I have been drinking bottled water which has 16.9 fl oz in each bottle so it makes it easier to get the water in, but I also have a bottle I bought a few years ago that holds 65 fl oz.
    I am planning on taking a book and an ipod for during the night, and I was told to bring a pair of sweatpants for after the catheter comes out. From what a friend has told me, they will have me up every four hours to walk.
    Next week Tuesday will be here before I know it.
    I will be thinking about you and your surgery the next day.
  • mfisher16508
    Options
    its coming super fast isnt it, who would of thought that all those months ago the day would actually be here, and now I am soooooo freakin nervous, I was watching vids on you tube and had to stop.....some made me cry and other were downright scary.

Good luck to you, to me and to anyone else having surgery next week, we can do this.

Mary