Instant Relief

Options
sloanie1
sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
Ok so I'm only on my second day of eating more but I have to say I feel somewhat relieved right now.....I actually feel like a different person! the pressure I was feeling trying to stick to 1200 calories and the beating myself up when I went over was ridiculous, I mean I'm obsessed enough without all this pressure! I actually feel a sense of calm, ok like I said its early days and I am still apprehensive as I'm not used to eating this much but a 6 month plateau and giving into binges just isn't the way I want to function, I train hard and I really don't eat enough....not a huge amount will be changing as I try to eat clean anyway, I will be upping my protein and veggies.....anyway I just wanted to put it out there for anyone else who might be considering upping as well...:o)

Replies

• helened
    helened Posts: 42
    Options
    I totally agree! Most days that's how I feel. Here and there I feel like a bit of a pig but when I realize I need to eat more instead of less it's really uplifting! Well done. I hope you enjoy the journey.
  • sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I was a mad-lady trying to only eat 1200 and never understood why I was binging every week or two. But now it makes complete sense to me. I am only about a wk into increasing my calories and only one day of strength training...but I am actually enjoying life again. The biggest issue I am having is actually eating enough and balancing my macros. I am trying to focus on protein and then hope the others fall into place. So far it is working out okay most days. Now I'm ready to some results, but I know that will come in time. :)
  • sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yes its a nice feeling! I was just reading another article that Lucia had on the main page and it said it can take up to 6 weeks for proper results.....I am willing to put in the 6 weeks for this, I have been on a 6 month plateau so feel 6 weeks is nothing! yes the scale may go up initially but everything I'm reading is telling me I need to stick it out so I am determined to, I wasn't losing before so I have nothing to lose LOL
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhhh how I used to carb binge, feel guilty, beat myself up, work out harder, no movemnt on the demon scale, hyper focus on food and what I am going to eat next, feel crabby, get depressed, carb binge again feel mad while doing it...oh what a cycle...

When I finally went from1500 to 1800...OMG it was like night and day...bec I eat six meals, plan them at top of morning, know what I am going to eat and eat it...there is no thought and no binging cause I'm always full.

Before snacking was my life...I purposely left cals just so I could binge a bit and went over of course...now even my hubby commented on how I don't snack at night. Whew what. Relief. I don't think about it. Now I may throw in a high cal something or other bec of a burn I have to compensate for. Matter of fact I cut out all the high burn business cause I'm downright tired of all the eating...lol.

People just don't think of it like this but it finally sunk in for me...if I eat 1800 and burn 1200....that means my net is 600 for the day. If I don't eat more that is the same as me eating 600 cals that day with no workout. Some people do this 5 and 6 times a week. I was netting probably 900 at times myself when I would zumba and lift and walk all in the same day...couldn't eat enough cals....whew last week the light went off on that one and I zumbad one time last week and made sure to eat up. Now my folcus is on the heavy lifting and I have upped to 1950 bec I hit a plateau...I am not gaining so that must mean the body needs a little more....so we shall see..and you know I will keep all posted...lol
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Is it a relief? Yes and no. I'm probably overthinking this, but now I'm stressed out to do cardio. For the last 6 months, I've done at least 2 hours of cardio a day including spin class 3-4 times a week. My daily burn would typically be 800-1000 per day. My net calories in the last 90 days was typically under 1200, often below 1000 calories. So it was really easy for my to go into starvation mode. As expected, my weight loss has been stalled since January although I have lost some inches.

Now, I realize the error of my ways. It's pretty difficult to eat 2500+ clean calories, so trying to significantly reduce my carido. That's a big change. I can handle my weight temporarily increasing since my body is not used to calories. But reducing my cardio is really hard.

All, I can think is change is good. And, I'm determined to eat more (yes!) and lift heavy.

Wish me luck.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Is it a relief? Yes and no. I'm probably overthinking this, but now I'm stressed out to do cardio. For the last 6 months, I've done at least 2 hours of cardio a day including spin class 3-4 times a week. My daily burn would typically be 800-1000 per day. My net calories in the last 90 days was typically under 1200, often below 1000 calories. So it was really easy for my to go into starvation mode. As expected, my weight loss has been stalled since January although I have lost some inches.

Now, I realize the error of my ways. It's pretty difficult to eat 2500+ clean calories, so trying to significantly reduce my carido. That's a big change. I can handle my weight temporarily increasing since my body is not used to calories. But reducing my cardio is really hard.

All, I can think is change is good. And, I'm determined to eat more (yes!) and lift heavy.

Wish me luck.

Oh Tangie...I sooooo know how you feel, I gave up elliptical, RIPPED, Interval cardio...but said NO WAY AM I GIVING UP ZUMBA...girl MaryDreamer kept pinging me on the net bmr thing because I would burn soooo many calories on my workout days...I started really thinking about it and have walked away from Zumbaing on my lift days which is 3 days a week...Girl it was hard to hear the music last Thursday and I will again tonight...BUT I am making huge strides in my lifting...and girl I just can't eat 2600 cals...can't do it...that is also my bulk number, so when it is time to bulk I just don't know....
  • trishadams
    trishadams Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Wish me luck.

Yup, you're right, change is good....and hard!! Like Lucia, I stopped going to my weekly body combat class and completely eliminated elliptical work while my goal is on muscle building. I only do 30 min walks now a few days each week. In a few weeks I'll incorporate more cardio when my goal shifts to fat loss and maintaining the muscle that I've built. Do you do any weight training now? If not, don't be surprised if you like it as much or even more than your cardio!
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Wow, I have been feeling the same way as a lot of you! I've also felt a huge relief not stressing about eating too much, but I also had to cut cardio way down as well. Its a big change, but I'm giving it the time. I'm two and a half weeks in and I can at least say that while my weight has certainly fluctuated I have not seen any negative effects, except maybe being super sore from starting doing weights :smile: I used to binge once or twice a week and now not a single one in the last two and half weeks since I upped my calories and cut down cardio! I will say, though, I also went with a higher protein diet and I am having some serious carb cravings, boo.
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your support and understanding. I have not started lifting heavy yet. Just doing some Jillian Michaels DVDs. I did purchase NROLFW and hope to start lifting heavy late next week. I'm determined to make this change.

It's funny. Seven months ago when I started losing weight, it someone had said you don't have to work long hours of cardio just smart minutes of weights, I would have been so happy. I'm going to think of this as giving myself the gift of time. Eat more to weigh less and get stronger in less time (but lots of effort). Works for me!!