Hey, more online dating crap!!! :grumble:

Options
So since we are discussing online sizes and other crap I had some questions...

When I was at my biggest I was at 335+ (I couldn't weigh in on the wii fit), I'm now down to 268, since I started with MFP I'm down from 305. I've got about 30-40 pounds to go for my goal weight is it ok to put myself at "A Few Extra Pounds"?

Also, when it comes to sizes am I being a horrible person that since I'm a certain amount over the "average" I'd like a woman in the same place as I am. I wear a 38 (2 sizes above a 34), I wear a 1xlt shirt, and a 52R jacket. I'd like a woman who is a bit above average, and actively working to get in shape, and smaller than me. I don't think that's feasible though, or at least that women who are like that aren't into guys like me. If they are, I can't seem to find one. We need a thread for just critiquing dating profiles so we can get some input. lol I feel like mine's just horrendous.

Replies

• Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Show me yours and I'll show you mine. lol
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    My profile is like my personality...

Colorful and happy lol.
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    I'm gonna need your e-mail to do that... oh, my profile... my bad... >.> let me see if I can look it up. I'm at the office, they frown on dating sites on work computers.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    oh this will be fun!

I haven't done the online dating thing in awhile, but I promised a friend when she met her weight goal I'd go into it with her as moral support. So I'll post mine (when she gets to her goal). And maybe I'll convince her to post hers too. If you send me your link I will certainly tell you what I think.
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Har har har lol
  • jaxdiablo
    Options
    So since I can't seem to get to the link for it. Can anyone go to pof.com and do a username search for LookingForMoreJax and post the link for it. lol I feel so useless with a limited internet connection. :-P
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    Okay felt too exposed haha
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    Jax...

www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=37087259
  • jaxdiablo
    Options
    Jax...

www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=37087259
    Thank you ma'am!
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    You're missing the point Jax. Many of us need to wean ourselves off of online dating. Online dating and bars/clubs are the bottom of the barrel places for meeting compatible singles. The best ways of meeting people are through your interests, your day to day life and the existing people in your life. Just how people did things prior to the early 2000s, when online dating finally became de-stigmatized.
  • jaxdiablo
    Options
    Ya know DM, I don't disagree with you. Unfortunately I'm completely and utterly shy in person. I have never approached a woman in a social situation in my life. I have little to no self-esteem, and well, at least online I can fake it. Or attempt to. I can't pull that off in person. If I thought it was possible for me to actually approach a woman in a social setting I'd be all over it like a fat kid on cake (and trust me, as much cake as I've eaten I know how that works).
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    The best ways of meeting people are through your interests, your day to day life and the existing people in your life. Just how people did things prior to the early 2000s, when online dating finally became de-stigmatized.
    Actually, it just occurred to me that this might be true.
    Online dating was probably simpler before it became de-stigmatized in the sense you knew you were going to meet like-minded people (e.g. shy people/geeks...), when only the said people used it.
    It has definitely lost some of its meaning now.
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    You're missing the point Jax. Many of us need to wean ourselves off of online dating. Online dating and bars/clubs are the bottom of the barrel places for meeting compatible singles. The best ways of meeting people are through your interests, your day to day life and the existing people in your life. Just how people did things prior to the early 2000s, when online dating finally became de-stigmatized.

I just started online dating.. so far so good. But I can't imagine staying on there forever.

I hardly ever come across a guy I'd want to ask me out in person.. maybe I'm not looking around enough? If guys ever come over to me it's to buy me a drink and get my number which about 95% I don't.

Right now the only guy I wish would say something to me is this one at the gym.
  • flimflamfloz
    Options
    OK quickly about the profile:
    "picture with your mum": No! It's cute and all, but really? Do you still live in the basement.
    "picture of your face": we can see your arms. Ask a friend to take a picture of you and that'll look slightly cooler (you can ask that redhair girl on your other pic........... :sick: :sick: :sick: is she single?!)
    3rd pic: Really good. :sick: :sick: :sick: Jealous.
    4th pic: doesn't show much of your life (miss a bit of environment), but full body shot is fair.

Job: financial advisor => finance

Not sure if mentioning all the geeky stuff is a win in your interests. I'm torn on this. It's not as shameful as it used to be as everyone now pretends they are a geek, but none of the people who pretend are actually true geeks (if you know what I mean), so it kinda sucks to say it openly.
    I'd like to get women's input actually. Cos it's all nice and well, but even though it conveys a "nice, decent guy" feeling, not sure how far that gets you.

"tattooed (getting more, they can be covered in a long sleeve shirt and jeans, shorts and a t-shirt, not so much)" - I lol'ed. Just show them man, women are suckers for this (and here is your 5th pic :wink: ). Well, OK I know I would (bits of them). It conveys a lot about yourself.

"so I've got that going for me." gives a negative vibe. Don't be ashamed of what you are, don't insinuate doubt in people's mind. Things are complicated enough. So yes, try to keep a positive vibe.

Not sure if I would say that: "I'm down approx. 66 pounds from my highest weight, I've got about 30 more to go, I think I fit into the a few extra pounds at this point." but that's up to you. What do other people think?

General feeling: I wouldn't say *amazing*, but gives a nice impression of a calm, regular man (boring?). Kind of hard to be struck by lightning when reading your profile either.
    Btw, my profile is 10x worse than yours (just trying to give my opinion, for what it's worth)... I just don't manage yet to get that "wow" factor in my profile.
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Iv tried online dating for 3 yrs..POF - i'm actually still on there but only get on when im really board. I have probably been on 20 dates on there between when i lived in Houston and Dallas. There were 2 i wanted to date but i will only chase for as long as i can. Im like a cheetah I will fight long and hard but eventually i dont have enough energy left to chase. The other problem is most people on a free site like that isnt looking for a ltr. Plus i always had my profile pic current and the girls never looked like their pics. I know most of us guys are shallow but it works both ways.
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    Okay I'll put mine back up since there are more folks on right now lol.

www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=32657339
  • flimflamfloz
    Options
    Okay I'll put mine back up since there are more folks on right now lol.
    <link to profile>
    What? You mean women need to put actual - how do you call them again - "words" in their profiles to get messages?
    You must be kidding me... :laugh:

Might have a go at it later after a few other people, otherwise I'm going to steal that thread.
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    I get messages from guys saying I seem like fun cool (which I totally am).. but wonder if I need more substance in my profile. I just figure that once we start messaging they see I can be serious but fun.

I feel like I'm on American Idol.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I've never had a date that DIDN'T start online. Seriously. 30, single, and pretty much a home body. We're supposed to meet people through our interests, but I'm a geek (see thread about higher education.) My interests (and most of my friends) are accessed through this damn keyboard.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I get messages from guys saying I seem like fun cool (which I totally am).. but wonder if I need more substance in my profile. I just figure that once we start messaging they see I can be serious but fun.

I feel like I'm on American Idol.

most guys don't read profiles at first, it's all about the pictures.