perimenopause & menopause weight gain

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
I found this online and it was very interesting and saying its not just simply a case of burning more calories than you are eating, when it comes to the menopause your hormones will change the way your body stores fat.

http://www.womentowomen.com/menopause/menopauseweightgain.aspx

I've started a supplement that contains Chromium to help with the cravings that are caused by fluctuating or high levels of estrogen and cortisol, Glucomannan to make you feel full and green tea to help boost metabolism. I will try it for a month and post my results on here in case it is helpful for anybody else.

I have been having real problems with my TOTM the last few months so I'm hoping these will help with some of the symptoms! I'm also taking Q10.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I wish you luck with your plan.

That site looks to me like a "Buy our supplements and our program" scam. That article you linked says, "Calories in and calories out doesn't work, it's propagated by the diet industry." Pot, meet kettle.

I lost 52 pounds with diet and exercise alone after Menopause. Anyone who is trying to sell you a Supplement and preying on your fears is nothing more than a snake-oil salesman, in my opinion.

Is is easy to lose weight? Not easy, but not hard either. It's just a matter of good tracking and consistency over time.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    I didn't buy anything from that site, I only found that site today but had actually seen the supplement before and been researching about estrogen and cortisol and their effect on weight.

I'm getting cravings for 2 weeks of the month now, i get severe chocolate cravings, I tried switching to slim fast chocolate shake twice a day instead but they seem to have a lot of sugar though they did help with the cravings but I could do with something that works so I don't get the cravings for 2 weeks and feel full quicker. I haven't snacked on anything since I started them, usually I'm breaking into a bowl of rice krispies and coco pops mixed or toast with chocolate spread on for supper by now but I'm still full and had my dinner at 3pm (its now 8.20pm here)

I've gone wheat free and cravings carbs too isn't helping as I'm trying to stay low carb. I'm trying progesterone cream but that has been for fibroids and they have shrunk. I do think hormone and metabolic conditions can affect weight loss even when you are burning more than eating and working out daily!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I agree, hormones are responsible for metabolic issues. But they can mostly be cured with a healthy diet and a few over the counter supplements.

I'm glad you didn't buy stuff from them. Fear mongering is a sad way for people to make a living.

Carb cravings can be eliminated by a higher protein, lower carb diet. Those shakes are just fueling your cravings. Try to keep your carbs under 100g a day....that is not low-low carb. The sugar and artificial sugars you are intaking are causing more hormone imbalances, insulin production, etc.

Yes, the hormonal changes women go through can cause cravings. But so does eating simple carbs, like sugars.

Really, it isn't a big deal if you have some sugary or chocolate treats occasionally. It's the daily stuff that will sabotage your long-term success.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    what over the counter supplements would you recommend?

I am trying Q10 as I also have Cerebellar Ataxia and it has been shown to slow progression of the condition in some cases so I'm on a trial of that, but I've also read things about it related to diet and hoping it will also either give me a boost of energy or help speed up my metabolism a bit.

I do also have Hypothyroidism so do have several issues affecting mobility, health and weight loss. I started last June at 12st 7 and still trying to get to 9st 7! I think it may take me a full year to reach 3 stone lost!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Other than recommending a good multivitamin, I wouldn't know what to tell you. I know nothing about ataxia, other than the Wiki I read....which is basically.........I know nothing.

Hypothyroidism is really common and easily treated. The peri-menopause is something women have been going through for millenniums and have fared fine without supplements. I didn't take anything and survived it.

I treat all my medical issues with food and exercise. I have been able to get off all my prescriptions except one....and it will be a lifetime thing. My doctor tries to push drugs on me every time I complain about a hang-nail, so I don't tell her any more. :laugh:

Obviously, your needs are vastly different than mine. I just guard against people trying to separate me from my money for something I don't need.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I believe Chromium is a metal, though, right? I assume you researched the safe dose and the symptoms of getting too much?
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I figure here is as good any any to give you my status report. I am now 5 weeks post hysterectomy/pelvic and vaginal repair (They were all sagging). I can now walk a couple of miles a day. No lifting yet - so that means I can't go back to work for a while "(how sad", she says sarcastically). I have gained about 5 pounds. I know that it is from inactivity and eating everything in the house. But now I do believe we are out of all snacks and junk food. Believe me I will still look.

The only medication (other than calcium and a multivitamin): I am on estrogen for four months to promote vaginal healing. I have not had hot flashes/mood swings/ headaches or other negative effects. The biggest negative is that I have been more tired than usual. I blame it on inactivity and healing from the surgery.

Am I glad I did this? I let your know in a month or two when I get more active and see how well all the repairs hold up.
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I figure here is as good any any to give you my status report. I am now 5 weeks post hysterectomy/pelvic and vaginal repair (They were all sagging). I can now walk a couple of miles a day. No lifting yet - so that means I can't go back to work for a while "(how sad", she says sarcastically). I have gained about 5 pounds. I know that it is from inactivity and eating everything in the house. But now I do believe we are out of all snacks and junk food. Believe me I will still look.

The only medication (other than calcium and a multivitamin): I am on estrogen for four months to promote vaginal healing. I have not had hot flashes/mood swings/ headaches or other negative effects. The biggest negative is that I have been more tired than usual. I blame it on inactivity and healing from the surgery.

Am I glad I did this? I let your know in a month or two when I get more active and see how well all the repairs hold up.

Sounds like you are doing great! Hope your healing goes well and you feel better soon!
  • shakybabe
    Options

Yes hope you feel better soon. Maybe you can do wii games from sitting to keep fit and lose weight without having to lift or anything. I find the tennis and boxing good and do my games from sitting.
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I found this online and it was very interesting and saying its not just simply a case of burning more calories than you are eating, when it comes to the menopause your hormones will change the way your body stores fat.

http://www.womentowomen.com/menopause/menopauseweightgain.aspx

I've started a supplement that contains Chromium to help with the cravings that are caused by fluctuating or high levels of estrogen and cortisol, Glucomannan to make you feel full and green tea to help boost metabolism. I will try it for a month and post my results on here in case it is helpful for anybody else.

I have been having real problems with my TOTM the last few months so I'm hoping these will help with some of the symptoms! I'm also taking Q10.

So, Shakybabe - what are your results? I am curious to see if this strategy made a difference for you? In advance, thanks!
  • rlmille2
    rlmille2 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi all,

So happy to find this group! it's great to be able to connect with peers on the same path!

I was interested in the comments on Chromium as this is something I've just been trying out.

I have a book: The Perricone Prescription by Dr Nicholas Perricone (2002). He recommends Chromium GTF (glucose tolerance factor) to regulate blood sugar levels. It also apparently aids impared glucose tolerance and also helps the body metabolize fats and carbs. This type of Chromium (the GTF) is good for people who have malapsorbtion problems. Chromium is found in many foods but most people are deficient, particularly aging persons. The Book Prescription for Nutritional Healing has a good write up on Chromium picolate. There are a few different types of nutritional Chromium so one has to do the research. There is much research that has been conducted on this mineral. I don't think nutritional chromium is the same as the type of chromium used in artists paints.

I have malapsorption troubles and have found Chromium GTF to help with cravings, I also feel more satisfied so don't want to eat all the time.

My doctor didn't have an opinion on Chromium but didn't have a problem with me taking it.

Good Luck all!
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Glad to find this group. 6 years post-hysterectomy and for some reason the hot flashes and night sweats have reared their ugly head again. No matter how hard I work out and how well I eat the scale and the muffin top aren't budging. The cravings get nearly unbearable at times that it makes me feel like a crack addict, especially when I end up giving into the cravings. I will take any and all advice I can get. Thanks!
  • rlmille2
    rlmille2 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hiya Jomalone2,

Some considerations: When was your last medical check up? Are you taking hormones or need them? Apparently you still need estrogen after a hysterectomy (from what I've read). There are other troubles that can cause sweats and hot flushes, like thyroid problems, anemia, diabetes, allergies, stress, hunger, ...and so forth. These can also effect metabolism and weight.

Anyway my 2 bits. Best wishes, rlmille2