FSH Test

Options
wonlife
wonlife Posts: 14 Member
Hi all!
Has anyone had the FSH test done and, if so, did it prove to be accurate? I've done some research on the web and some say yes some say no.
I went to my OB with a list of symptoms that have cropped up over the last year and she had me do this test, both to see if/where I'm at on the "menopause scale" (as she put it) and to be able to point me in the right direction if I'm not. Not sure how I couldn't be at least peri-meno at 44 years old. My mom died when I was 22 so I have no frame of refernce with when or if she started (she was 49).
Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing years ago and the results came back normal and my GP said that I wasn't peri at the time. I was - and I knew that I was as everything was changing dramatically. I think the test coincided with my ovulation at that time so skewed the results as things continued to change and become more obviously peri menopause. I have heard similar things from other women - who in hind sight just confirmed in their own minds that it was indeed peri menopause. Hopefully your results might be a better indicator than mine
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My results came back as peri menopause, but my doctor is ignoring that and sending me for scans and more tests in case it is something more serious.... I know what hot flashes, night sweats and irregular periods add up to :ohwell:
  • wonlife
    wonlife Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I got a very short letter from the OB saying my results showed I was not in menopause...well, duh I'm still getting my period (sometimes on a normal cycle, sometimes flucuating). It's too bad there doesn't seem to be a reliable test for peri-meno. I've had my thyroid checked multiple times now and that's always fine. I'm at the point of just believing I'm in the peri stage and start doing the research on how to deal with it with natural remedies.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Did your OB tell you the actual numbers from your FSH test? My biggest pet peeve is when doctors just say "oh it's normal" without informing you of the ACTUAL NUMBERS.

My OB recommended black cohosh to help relieve some of the symptoms. Also, fish oil capsules will help with mood swings (my biggest issue while going through peri menopause).

It's very frustrating when you don't have the answers. But if your OB didn't give you your actual FSH numbers, I'd ask him for the results.