Options
JadeRabbit08
JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
Age 43
Height 167 cm
SW 112 kilo
CW 106 kilo
GW 62 kilo
Currently gone up to 1800 cal for last 5 days.

Calculations

Using - http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

BMR 1755
TDEE 2983
TDEE -15% 2535 (2983-447.5)

Using the calculation as posted on our forum

BMR 1771
TDEE 2678 {1771.1 x 1.375 =2435, then 2435 + 243 = 2678}
TDEE -15% 2277 {2678-401}

Using http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

BMR 1771
TDEE 2431
TDEE -15% 2067 (2431-364)

Deficits possible -

447 x 7 = 3129
401 x 7 = 2807
364 x 7 = 2548

Not sure how much loss that would be a week.

I was thinking of using the middle calculation of 2277 as my daily calorie intake and increase by 200 for weight lifting days plus what ever cardio I do.

I started 45 days ago on 1200 lost weight but had gall bladder symptons so had to increase my calories. Then went to 1400 and stalled staying at about 106-107 kilo. Increased to 1800 which I have been at for 5 days.
At each calorie level I have been fine with the amount of food and not really hungry. Now after being on 1800 for a few days I am so so hungry and tired. (mind you I also have been nursing a flu thing with a slight temperature on and off for 3 days.)
Is it possible my metabolism is gearing up and is clamouring for more food? Or is this a temproary thing? I have also noticed a drop of 0.5 kilos lower than I have fluctuated before after 3 days of more calories. (Just waiting to see if that stays before entering it. Its been two days so far at that new weight)

This rambling post is really thinking out loud more than anything but any input is of course gratefully excepted.

Anyone else start to get really hungry after upping their calories?

Replies

• helened
    helened Posts: 42
    Options
    Howdy!

First let me answer your question. Yes, sometimes I feel like I got hungry after settling at a higher calorie level but now my body has adjusted pretty well and I find I am satisfied (most days, don't look at yesterday :laugh: ) and I don't look for crap at the end of the day as much.

I think that the number you suggest 2200 and up to 2400 on lifting days are good. If you are comfortable giving it a try go for it.

Your other option is to continue going up slowly (by increments of 100-200 calories every week or two). That way, if you follow a certain level for a couple weeks that is enough time to see if it works for you and how your body reacts. Ideally, you want to find the highest calorie intake that will still result in a loss. If you are very consistent with your eating and stay on track to a T you should be able to see what that does to your body in a couple weeks. If you are less consistent (I know I have higher days where stress has me eating more than I wanted at night) then it might be better to stay longer at that level to see how it works. I think from the posts, there are people who lose after two weeks in the process, and people for whom it takes a bit longer. You seem to be responding already so this is great.

Also, if you eat sufficiently, you will have better lifting sessions which should help your results along.

Keep up the good work!
  • JadeRabbit08
    Options
    Just put it up to 2090 but I will try and go over that and get to about 2200. Need to look at the setting to figure out how to have a calorie goal without putting in how much I want to lose.

The 2090 setting says I will lose .5 pound a week. (I have about 100 pounds to lose). I think MFP may be underestimating my BMR / TDEE.

I have been jumping up 1200-1400 then 1400-1800 now 1800-2100 if I go up anymore from that I will do it much slower as it should be just tweaking it.

The hunger caught me by surprise I guess its my body adjusting to the new amount of calories I am allowing it. Its good to know that that should settle down after a while.

Just adding that I only got to 1900 today, wasn't feeling that good and slept for part of the day.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Sorry you weren't feeling very good, Jade :(

On my lifting days I could absolutely eat more calories. My rest day afterward tends to be a bit higher as well.

When I first upped my cals my body was like -BLURGH NO MORE FOOD CRAZY WOMAN!. Then it was GIVE ME MORE FOOD WHAT ARE YOU- CRAZY???

My body- give it an inch.. lol

447*7 is a little less than a pound a week loss. I would personally aim for here right now. We are 'lucky' we are overweight enough to be able to build muscle while on a deficit- this goes away as we lose weight and get closer to our goal weight.

BUT- this is all numbers- where it matters is how you feel, what's good for your body/moosles and your weight loss. We need to make a pudding to check the proof :)
  • JadeRabbit08
    Options
    Update -

Ok so 7 days after eating 1800 or more I have dropped 1.5 kilos or 3.3 pounds.
    Trying to keep my calories to around 2100 net.

Big smiles here.