Help me figure out how many calories I should eat, PLEASE :)

Options
13»

Replies

• MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm still waiting on my book NROLFW to come in! It will probably come in while I'm on my cruise next week. Which will be great for me to read when I get back! I'm trying to understand how many calories to up to. My TDEE is 2219 -333 (15%) = 1886 which should be my MAX NET right? My BMR is 1400ish which should be my MIN NET?

What do I set my Daily Goal to? 1886?
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    The reason I get so confused is because when I put the new calculation in based on TDEE MFP tells me I'll only lose .30 per week.
  • dannyarguello
    Options
    The reason I get so confused is because when I put the new calculation in based on TDEE MFP tells me I'll only lose .30 per week.
    What are your numbers?
  • MrsKosal
    Options
    My BMR is 1519, I work out between moderately and heavy--being I do intense 600-1000 cal burns 4 days per week. I figured TDEE at moderate to not short change myself. My TDEE is 2551.
  • dannyarguello
    Options
    My BMR is 1519, I work out between moderately and heavy--being I do intense 600-1000 cal burns 4 days per week. I figured TDEE at moderate to not short change myself. My TDEE is 2551.
    Ok, so your TDEE is 2551
    15% is 382
    Which means you're shooting for 2169 daily.
    A deficit of 382 means you'd be losing roughly .76 pounds per week.(382*7)/3500

With a BMR at 1519, If you burn anything over 650(2169-1519) calories on those high cal burn days you gotta eat it back to net at least your BMR.(closer to your TDEE-15% if you can, if you can't you might consider cutting down on the crazy high burns).

Edit: Also, don't get too caught up with weight. It is not the ultimate metric to track progress, bf%, inches , how you feel/look in the mirror etc, are all more relevant than weight.
  • dls0516
    dls0516 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the help!!!
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    So I have eaten 1765 calories I have burned 240 so my net is 1525 so far. If my bmr is 1704 I need to eat 179 more calories tonight. Now my TDEE- 15% is 1986. Should I eat closer to my TDEE? I rode my stationary (10 minutes) walked (30 minutes) and strength trained (legs). what do you gyus think?

These are my numbers at light activity. I am still trying to figure out if I am light active or moderate. I work 45 hours a week, on my feet for the majority of them. Walk 1.5- 2.5 miles at lunch a couple days. Strength train 3 days a week. 2-3 early morning 20-30 minute cardio sessions. And walk/jog 3 miles on the weekend. What do you all think?
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should eat closer to your TDEE - 15% number - like, 1800 - 1900. Remember, that number already has weight loss factored in. Don't make your body adapt to less calories! That's a bad thing!

You are at least moderately active, in my opinion.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    I would think you would be at least moderately active since you're on you feet at work, if not more. I calculated mine at moderate just based on 3-5 workout sessions and spending good deal of time on my feet outside of work. Although, honestly I'm not sure if I should still be using that myself since I've cut back on cardio and doing 3 days of weightlifting instead. Meh, it can't be that off considering I've already eaten 2000 calories today (my goal) and I am still seriously hungry! And this is a rest day, too! I'm trying to take it as a sign my body has finally finished adjusting after 5 weeks and now the weight will start melting off :tongue:
  • MrsKosal
    Options
    Thanks!!! I appreciate it. I just changed my calorie goals and going to run with it!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    So I have eaten 1765 calories I have burned 240 so my net is 1525 so far. If my bmr is 1704 I need to eat 179 more calories tonight. Now my TDEE- 15% is 1986. Should I eat closer to my TDEE? I rode my stationary (10 minutes) walked (30 minutes) and strength trained (legs). what do you gyus think?

These are my numbers at light activity. I am still trying to figure out if I am light active or moderate. I work 45 hours a week, on my feet for the majority of them. Walk 1.5- 2.5 miles at lunch a couple days. Strength train 3 days a week. 2-3 early morning 20-30 minute cardio sessions. And walk/jog 3 miles on the weekend. What do you all think?

You are definetely a "MODERATE":-)
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Thanks!!! I appreciate it. I just changed my calorie goals and going to run with it!

Awesome, keep up posted!
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Remember everyone take a look at what to expect when upping...it is at the TOP of the topics list on this forum...super important!!!
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options

You are definetely a "MODERATE":-)

Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up eating over 1900 last pm. I will be changing my goals to my moderate numbers then :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hi Everone,

I'm new here. I've read through the introduction and what to expect when upping your calories posts, as well as this one. I'm still a little confused as to how much I should be eating, can someone help me please? My BMR is 1543.7 and my TDEE is 2383. I put moderately active (I have a sedentary job, but I am four weeks into Insanity right now, which I do six days a week). So, when I subtract the 15%, I get 2025. Is this the amount I should be eating every day? Even on Sundays when it's my rest day? And should I be eating 2025 PLUS the calories I burn from Insanity Monday-Saturday? Currently I've been eating 1750, and the last four weeks I gained, and then finally lost one pound.

Thanks!
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Hi Everone,

I'm new here. I've read through the introduction and what to expect when upping your calories posts, as well as this one. I'm still a little confused as to how much I should be eating, can someone help me please? My BMR is 1543.7 and my TDEE is 2383. I put moderately active (I have a sedentary job, but I am four weeks into Insanity right now, which I do six days a week). So, when I subtract the 15%, I get 2025. Is this the amount I should be eating every day? Even on Sundays when it's my rest day? And should I be eating 2025 PLUS the calories I burn from Insanity Monday-Saturday? Currently I've been eating 1750, and the last four weeks I gained, and then finally lost one pound.

Thanks!

I am a rounder for ease...I would say 2000 daily and only need to eat more if you burn OVER 450 during workout day. You only eat the excess over 450 to NET your BMR.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Hi Everone,

Thanks!

I am a rounder for ease...I would say 2000 daily and only need to eat more if you burn OVER 450 during workout day. You only eat the excess over 450 to NET your BMR.

Also make sure to read what to expect when you up...it is near the top of the forum topics.