silly MIM questions

Options
mountainmare
mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
The recipes for MIMs look wonderful. I do cook alot and have to try this.
How big is a coffee mug?

Is it a regular type you buy on vacation and holds a little over a cup?
Do you grease the mug? How does the muffin come out?
I saw some suggestions for "bread" but don't understand the top of a container issue. Do you make one recipe and spread it on the top of a gladwear of rubbermaid container--or make one recipe and split it? How much does the batter rise I guess is the real question.

Replies

• MamaGLUe
    MamaGLUe Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Give it a try and see what happens! When I've made them, I tip the mug upside down right away and it slides out no problem. Then I fill the mug with water to presoaks because mim batter is quite sticky
    I find that a smallish coffee mug gives it more of a muffin look because the batter does rise enough to come over the top like a more conventional muffin. If I use a giant mug it comes out looking like a cylinder of bread - not as appealing!
    I find MIMs to be very filling so go slow when trying for the first time. This is a lot of fiber!!!!!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I usually use a smaller coffee mug- but one thats bigger than a tea cup. You can use whichever size you want to really.

The muffin usually slides right out- although if this is an issue grease the mug with a little butter, or butter/spray oil.

In terms of bread I use the lid of a microwave safe tuppaware/ sandwich box (square lid, about 1.5 cm deep), I spray the lid and spread out the mix. Then once cooked, slice it in two for bread.

Use a round ramekin/ pate pot to make english muffin style bread

or a big plate to make a pizza base.

Happy MIM-ing :o)
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I just had images of a sticky dough getting all over the microwave and being a mess to clean up.
    I LOVE the idea of the pizza crust!!!
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Ok, is there some trick that is not listed in the recipe? I tried the chocolate one and it was very nasty. Do you use a blender to mix the ingredients or a hand held mixer? Is there something you can add to make it a little more moist? I think I need to experiment with this a little more because the idea is great and everyone RAVES about these things but I just didnt see what they hype was about. Also - Crayola sells bread-shaped tupperware containers. I am going to use this when making my MIM bread - then the bread will actually be shaped like slices of bread!!