Getting back into shape after back injury

Options
slparsaca
slparsaca Posts: 59 Member
Anyone trying to back into shape after a back injury? I am...and it's a slow go. Right now I can't walk faster than 2.5 mph or else my legs fall asleep. I'm hoping that is temporary and when I get my weight down I'll be able to walk faster. Anyone else gone through this that cam give me some advice, encouragement? When I talk to my doctor about it he just says, "well, don't go over 2.5 mph. Be content were you are." As a former athlete I'm having a hard time being content.

Replies

• indigorow
    Options
    Doctors can be the most frustrating people. I started seeing a physical therapist specializing in athletes, particularly runners, and that has made everything more bearable for me. Not only does he want to help me get back to my old athletic self, he is actively helping me to. I recommend that approach!
  • Mumbum78
    Mumbum78 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat (slparsaca) . I have been VERY athletic my whole life. My pregnancy wasnt the smoothest and I ended up having some serious injury to my hips and SI joints. I had to drop out of baseball,volleyball, floor hockey, gym and more! 18 months of physiotherapy and still not much better. Everytime I think i find an activity that I can do(eg-swimming) I wake up the next day in horrible pain with my back and hips. I have currently recieved cortisone injections in each hip and NOTHING! I m soo frusterated and do not even feel like myslef anymore. Not only can i not dothe activities I love, I cant carry my child much and I still have 23lbs of baby weight i cant lose. Luckily my sports dr hasnt given up and I am due to see a rhumatologist soon. Would love to hear from anyone who has had similar injuries and who is in the process of bouncing back because I am getting really discouraged!
  • egiggy73
    egiggy73 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When I was 20 I was ranked 2nd in the nation in Track and Field. Now I am sitting on my couch nursing a cartilage tear in my knee, 18 years later. I don't know what happened, never ran marathons, but somehow the cartilage wore through. Have been up and down with my weight all my life, but it was walking & running in combination with tracking calories, that always took the weight off. Now I can't walk more than 20 min on level surface...and am stuck with weight lifting and swimming as my only exercises. No biking, until i get a go ahead from the dr. So anyways, I am seeing a fork in the road...I need to decide to limit my food intake, and live a life in moderation, or continue to gain weight. I choose the former.

I hope you all will join me in getting past our injuries, un-focusing on food, and focusing on what else gives us pleasure and joy...whether it be enjoying our children, family, books, music, friends, art...etc.

So sad to leave sports behind...but looking forward to discovering what else life offers.
  • jamiellis11
    Options
    I played several sports all my life. I even played soccer and softball in college, and considered playing basketball there as well. Eight years ago, I tore my achilles tendon right in half. I had surgery, and was out of commission for several months. During that time, I have steadily gained weight. About three years ago, I gained a lot of weight very quickly. I am struggling now to lose it so I can be the same size I was in college.