Support and Reassurance

Options
sloanie1
sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
OK....I'm on day 4 of upping calories and I feel really good! I put my jeans on this morning and they feel tighter.....I know during this process I'm going to gain to start with but I'm faaaareaking out right now! I don't weigh because I have OCD I am obsessive and because the scale fluctuates I get hung up on the number........SO I am determined to see this out for at least 6 weeks as I truly believe all the info I've read and seeing the proof in all you wonderful strong people....but old habits die hard I guess and I just couldn't bear the thought of putting the weight back on that I've lost because its taken me 18months to even get to here and that is through hard hard work, I don't drop the pounds easily!!! I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that this is part of the process and I have to see it through! I really want this to work, I have tried almost everything I can and this makes perfect sense but I just feel the fear of going backwards!

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If you do go up in weight for a few days- ask yourself this question:

Did you eat 3,500 calories in addition to your MFP cals the day before?

No? Then it's just normal fluctuations in the body. It's good and normal

- I'm sure you guys are sick of hearing it but I gained ten pounds in a week. Lost it all PLUS another one the next week.

Weight moves- especially for us ladies. Did you get eight hours sleep? Did you go over on salt? Did you weight lift the day before? Are you stressed out? PMS or TOM? Or even- did the dryer get your jeans too hot and shrink em a bit? It happens :)

You'll be ok- and your body will lose again. Stay calm and keep fueling yourself :D
    You can totally do this!!
  • Mommareed4
    Mommareed4 Posts: 144
    Options
    I am right there freaking out with you!! LOL. I feel so bloated and "fluffy" right now, and it is taking of fiber of my being right now not to go hop on the elliptical. I have netted 1628 today and I feel weird..... idk.....
  • sloanie1
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I really want to see this out.....I do train hard and love to eat! yes it is TOM right now so good point....LOL no the jeans didn't come out of the drier hahaha.....and good points my body will be wondering what the hell is going on fuelling it like this! I need to just focus on staying strong and not focus on the weight loss at this stage...thanks again...x
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Gemiwig I so think of you now when my scale fluctuates....did I eat and extra 7500 cals or 3500 etc? Love it! Just puts things in perspective.

Ladies remember we have been starving ourselves for so long the body is waiting to see if you will keep fueling it. I hope you are eating 6 meals a day, that really revvs up the metabolism and keeps it burning.

I think especially if strength training too we need to hide the little demon scale. Take out the tape measurer and watch the inches instead...
  • sloanie1
    Options
    Thanks Lucia, yes I am eating and eating, I'm keeping it clean but eating lots of healthy things, protein, veggies, I'm including nuts and avocado, 2 things I have banned myself from for so long, when i think about it its just crazy honestly, the healthy foods I love to eat.....I had potato and sweet potato mashed last night with my salmon and vegges and it was like heaven!!! I hope my body is loving me right now LOL its funny the people I tell I'm eating more they are ALL of the same mind set as I have been used to, I feel like a guinea pig hahaha.....I refuse to live miserable and hungry anymore I just can't do it and I'm sick of going on detoxs and fad diets which always make me end up binging...thanks for listening to my rants!

I appreciate this support its awesome!
  • sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you freaking out, but I do weight myself obsessively. haha I wish I didn't. I also have noticed my mind trying to convince me I need to up cardio...but I HATE high intensity cardio so luckily once I start I give up after burning a couple hundred calories so I can't sabotage myself. haha Either way I'm netting around 1500 to 1600 a day, at or above my BMR. I am determined to stick with it for a few wks and then see what happens and if I need to change anything.

I dont' think I'm lifting heavy enough yet, but this is my first week lifting so I try to keep things in perspective...but that is hard as the scale moves up and up...I need to have my husband hide the scale from me for a few wks. haha
  • DecemberNick
    DecemberNick Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Just to update on my own progress, it took about 2 weeks of eating more and training for my weight to start decreasing. There was an initial jump, it stayed at the same weight and then it's just started to come down. The things I've noticed personally is that I am leaning up. There's less fat on my stomach. Muscles are getting some more definition.

What I think I've experienced is that my fat has been burning but it's being replaced with muscle hence the lack of major scale movement. I've been pounding on my legs more than I ever have in my life and I'm sure there's a lot of growth going on there.

I bought a new measuring tape which is mega convenient and a body fat caliper. It's this combo here:

http://www.amazon.com/AccuMeasure-MyoTape-AM-3000-Fitness-Personal/dp/B002VAPHXW/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1331271464&sr=1-1

I'm going to start using this to monitor my progress. The scale is not giving me the big picture.
  • Mommareed4
    Options
    The only kind of weight training I am doing is the 30 day shred and kick boxing is that okay?? I am getting a home gym at the end of this month though.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    The only kind of weight training I am doing is the 30 day shred and kick boxing is that okay?? I am getting a home gym at the end of this month though.

That should be fine to start. I started w/Jillian too. But you do want to eventually progress and lift heavier and heavier, and alternate some workouts that are weights only, vs. only doing circuit-style work. It's nice to learn your form w/lighter weights, though.

What will your home gym include?
  • Mommareed4
    Options
    I am thinking something like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Weider-2980-214-lb-Stack-Home-Gym/11993386 I dont want to have free weights everywhere bc I have 4 small children, dont want any broken toes LOL. Though I do have 2-10 dumbbells.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I am thinking something like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Weider-2980-214-lb-Stack-Home-Gym/11993386 I dont want to have free weights everywhere bc I have 4 small children, dont want any broken toes LOL. Though I do have 2-10 dumbbells.

That looks like a nice system.

Will your home gym be in a common area? I've had mine since my boy was 7 and no injuries to date (he's 14 now, and actually uses it, lol). If yours are smaller and will have access to it, I understand though. You can kind of see mine in my avatar. It's Olympic sized free weights/barbell. I does most of the stuff that the one that you're looking at does, but because of the free weight option it can do much more. So just something to think about as you consider making an investment.

At the very least I would consider something with an adjustable (preferably moveable) bench, as the stationary bench could limit you over time. There are so many exercises that can be done on a flat/incline bench. Although I'm not sure if space is an issue?

This is mine (so you get an idea of what I mean about the bench)

gym.jpg

The bench adjusts, goes on an incline or decline, and can be moved around (like in my avatar it's sideways). Also the Lat pull-down bar can be attached at the top, as in the pic, or when the bench is moved the bar can also attach at the bottom for seated rows. Being able to move that bench also allows me to get up under the barbell and perform squats and such. or to use the cable for various other exercises from the top or bottom. I could go on and on, but I can't say enough about the benefits of a moveable flat bench.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Thanks Lucia, yes I am eating and eating, I'm keeping it clean but eating lots of healthy things, protein, veggies, I'm including nuts and avocado, 2 things I have banned myself from for so long, when i think about it its just crazy honestly, the healthy foods I love to eat.....I had potato and sweet potato mashed last night with my salmon and vegges and it was like heaven!!! I hope my body is loving me right now LOL its funny the people I tell I'm eating more they are ALL of the same mind set as I have been used to, I feel like a guinea pig hahaha.....I refuse to live miserable and hungry anymore I just can't do it and I'm sick of going on detoxs and fad diets which always make me end up binging...thanks for listening to my rants!

I appreciate this support its awesome!

Oh how I have been where you are my friend...girl...to walk in constant deprivation for NO STINKIN GOOD REASON...because I sure wasn't getting the results I wanted...

Listen I too waiver in my mind and have all through the process because it is just that all the other gunk has been engrained in our minds. Girl even last night after eating 2200 cals for the day, all I could think, maybe I shouldn't have eaten that much maybe I need to cut back...was feeling just pudgy and I tell you, I even had a dream about just stopping all of it (the devil is a liar...lol). Girl I got up this morning looking leaner than ever, got on the scale and it was down .2lbs (which may not seem like a lot, but when you eat more you keep thinking the scale is going to go UP UP UP...but it is still going DOWN DOWN DOWN) but the biggest and bestest (is that a word...lol) is that I lost another HALF INCH OFF MY WAIST!!!! The fat is going away!

So, you stick with it, be encouraged...God created us to enjoy life, not walk around being deprived and miserable!
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Just to update on my own progress, it took about 2 weeks of eating more and training for my weight to start decreasing. There was an initial jump, it stayed at the same weight and then it's just started to come down. The things I've noticed personally is that I am leaning up. There's less fat on my stomach. Muscles are getting some more definition.

What I think I've experienced is that my fat has been burning but it's being replaced with muscle hence the lack of major scale movement. I've been pounding on my legs more than I ever have in my life and I'm sure there's a lot of growth going on there.

I bought a new measuring tape which is mega convenient and a body fat caliper. It's this combo here:

http://www.amazon.com/AccuMeasure-MyoTape-AM-3000-Fitness-Personal/dp/B002VAPHXW/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1331271464&sr=1-1

I'm going to start using this to monitor my progress. The scale is not giving me the big picture.

SO TRUEEEEEEE!!!!