Sore ankles/Knees and C25K

Options
TXBelle1174
TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
I have been doing C25K. I am on W3D1. I stopped for a couple days because my husband was out of town and I have little kids that I cant take running.. anyway, I stopped for a couple days and my ankles hurt SO bad. They hurt anyway, right after and the days following my runs. I sit at a desk all day and when I get up to do anything, I can barely walk for the first 20 steps, and then I am ok. Should I back off the running? I stretch out really good before and after my walks/runs. I want to keep going, it feels great to be moving but I dont want to do permanent damage. I hurt my left ankle/foot about a year ago and it still gives me problems, even before I started C25K. Should I keep doing it anyway or start walking instead and lose more weight before I take on a running program? I am about 245 now.

Replies

• mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Do you have good supportive running sneakers?
    Have you checked your posture when walking/running?
    I would consult with my doctor if I were you. If there is an injury you do not want to make it worse.

Good luck :smile:
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    A running shoe store may be able to help you see how you're landing when you walk. I went a few weeks ago, and I have noticed a significant difference in how my feet were feeling after I walked/jogged. They recorded my steps on a treadmill and measured my feet to make sure that I was wearing the right size shoe. I never knew my left foot was bigger than my right. After using my new shoes, I feel a lot better than before. Good luck!
  • Tim249
    Tim249 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ditto the running shop advice. My ankles, knees and shins were killing me for the first few weeks and I wasn't sure how wise it would be to continue. I searched out a running store that does "gait analysis," which means putting you on a treadmill and video your feet while you run, then play it back in slow motion to see what's going on. I paid much more for a pair of shoes (~$110) than I would have for the same pair online, but after the time the salesman spent I felt it was worth it, and fair. It took a few more runs but then my aches and pains cleared up. Since then, I have only slight soreness in my joints and shins during and following runs--it's been a world of difference!

You may not have the same experience, but I think it's worth it to find someplace to see what your running stride is like....
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above about getting fitted at a proper running store - also when you run, how does your foot land? Is it on your heel or mid foot. I read somewhere that you should aim to strike mid foot rather than landing on your heel as it can lead to problems. A good running store could probably give you advice.
  • GMC_81
    GMC_81 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Also what type of surface do you run on?
    If its constant pavement/sidewalk/concrete that may well be creating a shocked impact.
    Maybe have a go on something else, grass, track, etc.

Let us know if you do go to a store, I'd like to hear of your experience with it.