Snacks available in Australia

Options
tammyc226
tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
Hi folks, so there has been some discussion on the main message boards about snacks. Unfortunately a lot of these snacks are only available in the US. So this has got me thinking, what snacks are my Aussie MFP mates eating? What are your recommendations?

Replies

• Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Now there is two threads on this topic :) ... the other one is here;

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/520716-australian-snacks-shopping-lists-etc

My favourite snacks are;
    Sunrice Rice cakes
    Darrell Lea Liquorice
    Mini Sesame snaps
    Healtheries snacks (in the health food section of Woolies - designed for kids but a good low cal salty snack if your craving that)

I've also started throwing a husked corn cob in the microwave for 5mins - yum! I love corn so this is divine as long as the corn is fresh.

And my most recent find is Almond Milk. It's great in protein shakes and very low cal.
  • tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    doh! :-)
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    ScrewyChars-7269023
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    Bump for ideas too..:bigsmile:
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i make my own mostly. Yoghurt with stewed fruit, boiled eggs, carrot sticks with almond butter, fruit etc.

But pre-package snacks...

those little tunas in a can if you get the ones that aren't in oil and often they are still flavoured are around only 100 cals and are full of protein so are really filling (i buy the greenseas brand ones).

jerky. Salty, but again full of protein, so really filing. Good for emergency food if you are forced to eat something from a service station while travelling or something, or a preferable bar snack to chips.

ummm. that's about all i can think, because i make everything from scratch usually or eat raw fruit and veggies as my snacks. :) Much better than prepackaged i'm sure.
  • CaitlinR85
    Options
    As Ange just said... jerky! It's expensive, but I love it. I buy the Jack Links BBQ and Teriyaki flavours. Half a pack is a pretty filling snack for me.
  • CaitlinR85
    Options
    Oh and I love the Guardian pharmacy Be Good To Yourself snack bars. They are my local pharmacy, so whenever I'm in there I check if they're on special (under $2) and buy bulk.

I also have Uncle Toby's Weightwise Oats as a snack.
  • reenmelbs
    reenmelbs Posts: 14
    Options
    I love toasted seeds, either sesame seeds dry pan fried, or sunflower seeds dry pan fried as well but with a little splash of soy sauce at the end which they soak up. High in protein and energy and very portable.

I also love grapes... I find "fiddley" food can make me eat less. And green grapes are so sweet.

Also every time I use a pumpkin I keep the seeds, soak them in cold water over night then dry them out on paper towel the next day. They can either be eaten raw or you could roast them and then sprinkle a little salt. I like them raw.

I've also started adding a teaspoon of raw cacao powder into my afternoon instant coffees. I use skim milk so not many calories and I keep on hearing about the wonders of raw cacao - high in magnesium or something...
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Oh my god those mini sesame snap things are my LIFE.
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    When I am being good Sakata mini rice crackers - the bbq or chicken ones are my favs.

When I am bad Quakers oats cookies (apple ones)
  • rlodin
    rlodin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    soleil (is that how you spell it?) no fat low sugar yoghurt. Sometimes I put some blueberries or something in.

home made protein bars (whey protein, penut butter, honey, sugar free maple syrup, almonds, oats, milk)

i always keep a can of sanitarium vegetarian sausages handy. They taste great (to me anyway) and are a nice high protein snack.

a few roasted chick peas or broad beans.

chopped up carrot with some hummus!
  • Alkirra
    Alkirra Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm not a good Snacker! I was raised by my Gran and she had

Breakfast == Break the Fast

Mid Morn == Morning Tea

Mid Day == Lunch with family or friends at the Table

Mid Avo == Afternoon Tea

Early Evening == Dinner nothing to heavy but it was always nutritious - plenty of Vegies

After Sunset == Dessert

Simply 6 meals a day no snacks needed.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    - Partner oven roasted chickpeas
    - Planet organic roasted soy nuts
    - Slim secrets <100 cal bars
    - Fruit
    - Spiral mungbean crackers
    - Spiral Quinoa crackers
    - Real foods corn thins (normally with a teaspoon of macro organic peanut butter)
    - And I sometimes make protein shakes with some banana, musashi low carb vanilla protein powder, soy milk, and 100g of nestle soleil vanilla
  • Alkirra
    Alkirra Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Wow, costs obviously aren't a concern.
  • TotalTiger
    Options
    Tamar Valley yoghurt is the best low fat yoghurt I've tasted.
  • anaussie
    anaussie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    As Ange just said... jerky! It's expensive, but I love it. I buy the Jack Links BBQ and Teriyaki flavours. Half a pack is a pretty filling snack for me.

You'll be surprised how easy it is to make your own. I make all the time... chicken, beef and pork. I no longer marinate in soy or any sauce because natural without any additives tastes even better. Cut in to thin slices, couple of hours in oven at low heat, door slightly ajar is all it takes. I use paper towels to wipe extra fat every 20 or so minutes is the best part. Delicious... healthy... all protein! :)
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I have a few, depending on what my needs/wants are at the time.

For high protein I sometimes have a protein bar (HPLC bar from Aussie Bodies). The taste is not bad and they are big enough for two serves - the bar has 45g of Protein and only ~11g carbs! I also keep a jar of natural PB in my office, with rice cakes or corn thins.

I have a bag of almonds most of the time too. I'ts hard not to just dip into the bag after Ive only counted out 15 to eat sometimes though. :P

I have also started taking some natural low fat youghurt, with a little tub of coles light muesli (or you could do home made) and some frozen berries (raspberries or blueberries). Mix together and it is great - will do for lunch or breakfast some days too. Yum!
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    corn thins and peanut butter (maybe ALSO with vegemite)
    natural yogurt with a sprinkle of sugar
    hummus that I made - usually with brown rice crackers
    the flavored tuna with salada
    store label choc melts
    the ubiquitous fruit if I have any
    popcorn (home made)
    boiled eggs if I want to get rid of them (I have chooks)
    frozen peas (don't look at me like that! they are nice!! :p)

[just checked the pantry]
    baby corn
    gherkins (a serve has about FOUR calories)

once in a blue moon I'll get snack packs of chips or shapes..but I usually pig out on them. I steer clear of 'bars' of anything.
  • goodhealth2012
    Options
    Wow, costs obviously aren't a concern.

Can you please give some examples of cheap healthy snacks?
  • anaussie
    anaussie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Things one learns when paying attention to food labels. Shocks-Surprises! Went to Aldis other day. 3 Chocolate Belmonte fingers have less than 100 calories/13 carbs. 1 biscuit of Just Divine Chocolate has 79 calories and less than 10 carbs. I can walk another 30 minutes to offset sugar content. :laugh: Why should my kids have all the fun? I can eat them chocolates!