Rice Substitute

Options
katiebythebay
katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
Just tried this tonight and it is AWESOME! I know a lot of you have tried the cauliflower substitute for mashed potatoes, but you can sub it for rice, too!

"Cauli-rice" (or Rice-aflower?!)

:)

You will need:

1 head of fresh cauliflower
a food processor/blender
a microwavable bowl big enough to hold your final yield

Do this:

Cut the florets off of the cauliflower. You can use the stem as well, just cut it into manageable chunks. Process raw florets (do NOT cook first!) until they are uniform "grains" and pile into the bowl.

Microwave for 3-5 minutes, uncovered, until cauliflower is cooked. DO NOT add water, seasonings or butter before cooking, or you'll end up with mush. Just microwave the processed cauliflower all by itself. Any seasonings can be added after cooking. Fluff with a fork, add spices, serve with anything you would make rice with!

I made a low fat/low cal shrimp creole (which I can also post if anyone wants it) and served over this tonight. I felt like I was cheating! I added to the whole bowl of "rice" a few shakes of land o'lakes butter sprinkles, garlic powder, salt and black pepper.

Per cup (with butter sprinkles) - 25-30 calories per cup!

I'm going to try this with curry and ginger and also as a mock fried rice. Will report results!

This idea is from another MFP'er - CurvyCowgirl.

For those of us who love rice.... try this.

Let us know if you do and how you liked it....

~katie

Replies

• Goingnuts2
    Goingnuts2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It sounds interesting, might give it a try. Thanks for sharing!
  • cupboard_stalker
    cupboard_stalker Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I heard about this about a year ago, but the poster just said "microwave" and so i never tried it. Thanks for a more detailed instruction...i'm definitely going to try this now, i bet it tastes great with curry!
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!:drinker: