I think I'm ready to do this...couple questions

Options
AmyzNewGroove
AmyzNewGroove Posts: 144 Member
Hi!

I think I'm ready to dive in...but I have a few questions.

Background: I'm 5'5", currently 136lbs; TDEE: 2170, BMR: 1400; curvy but fairly muscular (no idea what my body fat % is), but I have my trouble spots that will not go away (inner thighs & stomach).

I am a cardioAHOLIC (usually 5-6 days a week). I LOVE getting hot and sweaty and pushing myself and seeing the calorie burn (usually no less than 300 but no more than 650 cals per session). Some power yoga, some elliptical, some calistenics. I do lift a couple times a week, but I'm probably doing it all wrong. Always on the weight machines, doing 3-4 sets of 10 with lighter weights. Quite frankly, I'm intimiated by the free weights. Mostly because I work out at an Air Force base gym, and there are TONS of amazing physical specimans all around who obviously know what they are doing...and I have no flipping clue. Plus, the machines tell you how to place yourself and how to keep your form...I like directions. :)

So 1st question: Thoughts on this? I was thinking about buying the New Rules of Weightlifting for Women, is that a good place to start? Should I wait to change my calorie goals until I start weight lifting (for real)?

Next thing. I haven't increased calories yet. But I have gradually been making changes to my intake %s; this past week my goals were at 45% carb, 25% fat, & 30% protein; I ended up 49% c, 25% f, & 26% p. I drink 64-88oz of water every day (not including the water in coffee/tea). Religiously. My fiber goal is 30, but I usually end up somewhere between 35-40 p/day. But here's the thing, my, er, insides seem to be revolting. Bluntly - lots of gas and waste. Is that normal? Temporary (please say yes)? How do you know what the optimal c/f/p intake is? Should I push through?

Thanks for all the info - this group is excellent!

Amy

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Yes great start with NROLWFW. If you have a droid/iphone download EFIT and the animation and it shows you the moves. The book has good iilustration of moves as well.

Book suggest 4o/30/30 which is what forces you to get in the right amt of protein and 6 meals a day. I do both and it works very well for me.

Don't know if you are using fiber powders but it didn't work well for me at all...terrible gas, bloating, and constipation. So I stopped those types of powder.

Now my prot shake has chia seeds, plus fruits, veggies, so Iget in sometimes as high as 50gr. I am quite regular and don't have any issues with bloating anymore.

I suggest bumping up now. 15% off tdee is a good start point. Our bodies need the fuel regardless of workout regimen. Keep us posted.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    JEFIT app
  • AmyzNewGroove
    AmyzNewGroove Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lucia! I'll def ck the app. So much easier if I can use my iPhone!

My fiber comes naturally :) and I'm pretty used to getting this amount (it's been a big part of managing IBS for the past 6ish years). Hmmm. I think i'll give it another week or two and reasses.