What TYPE of weights do you use?

Options
Pickles11
Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
I use barbells that you put individual weights on to, and have to spin the piece to secure it. (Wow I wish I could describe that better). I like it because it allows me to use a variety of weights for this program, but it often takes me a little while to change from lighter (but still heavy) arm weights to heavier leg weights. I end up having to push pause while I change my weights.

I'm wondering what type of weights you use and how well it works to transition in this program?

Of course it would be great to have the select-tech weights Chalean uses, but I definitely don't have the money for that!

Replies

• LPinTheD
    LPinTheD Posts: 129
    Options
    I have regular dumbells in 3,5,8,10 and 12 lbs... I will need to get a pair of 15 and 20 lbs soon. They're convenient, but do take up space. I like the concept of the Select Techs, but not the price. And they look kind of big and cumbersome in the videos...
  • Callidreamr
    Callidreamr Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I also use regular dumbbells that I've collected over the years (4,5,7,8,10,12 & 15). I was just looking at the Select Tech weights online because I thought it would be nice to have them for convenience. I was interested in them because I thought that you could increase your weights in smaller increments, but found that they are pretty much in line with what I already have. I would love to have 17.5 and 22.5 pound dumbbells (they don't exist) for when I move up in weights, but the cost of the Select Tech weights far out weighs the benefits for me.
  • philosohoe
    philosohoe Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm using individual weights (3, 5, 8, 10, 12). So far these have been enough for me because I started out with 0 & 2 lbs. I think when I restart Burn I'm going to have to get 15 & 20 for the lower body exercises. I've just been buying the heavier weights a couple at a time as I feel the need to go higher. I'm having that same issue of my living room looking more & more like a gym because I have my elliptical and now all my weights lined up under the tv.:tongue:

Just as a point of reference though, my fiance has been doing CLX with me, and he NEEDED heavier weights to really start feeling like he was getting enough resistance, so he went ahead and bought the Select Techs (using Bowflex credit program). He's happy he did because he's already starting to feel a lot more challenged and can feel himself gaining more muscle. He likes them a lot, but it doesn't make sense for me to go that route because I just can't go that heavy anyway. Maybe for the third round...:laugh:
  • Exna
    Exna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I use the reebok speed Weight pack system .. They go from 5 to 25 .. I started using these weights on the push phase, I felt that I needed to invest in order to see the results I wanted :) ...price is like 50 dls per set
  • philosohoe
    philosohoe Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I use the reebok speed Weight pack system .. They go from 5 to 25 .. I started using these weights on the push phase, I felt that I needed to invest in order to see the results I wanted :) ...price is like 50 dls per set

That's a really good price! I'll have to check into those.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I just use resistance bands. I do own 5 and 10 lb dumbbells, but I just stick to the bands for ChaLEAN. I got the bands off Amazon for $35. It comes with a set of 5 and I have only used 4 of them so far. I haven't quite worked my way up to the heaviest band yet. I'm on the first week of Push right now.
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    I got a pair of xmark adjustable weights right before I started Push. I have gotten up to 20 lbs for lower body
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    I have 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 pound dumb bells. Would love to get select techs- but it's just not in my budget.

Angie
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I have dumbbells too. I had some (3, 5, 8) but had to buy 10 and 12. My husband has 15s I will use eventually.

I like the idea of the Selectechs but that's a crazy price for weights. Plus as someone else said they look kind of bulky when Chalene uses them. The sporting goods store here had another adjustable set but since we had half of what I needed I just got more dumbbells.
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of random dumbbells from over the years-- 3,5,8 that I had on hand. I've bought 10 & 12 (both from Play It Again Sports) and my husband just bought a kit (I think it was the Gold's Gym one from Walmart) of dumbbells that go from 5 to 20 lbs. So that should cover it until we need to go to 25s and up. I'm keeping my eye on Play It Again Sports for good used sets in the higher weights.
  • isys5
    isys5 Posts: 213
    Options
    my hubby got me a set of hexagon dumbells that range from 5-35lbs and came with a metal stand to hold them all so they stay nice and organized. love them and they were about $230 from Costco and have chrome bars and plastic weighted section, I love not having to mess with plates and just grab the wieght I need off the rack which is around waist height for the top row so nice to not have to bend and squat every time I grab a heavier weight.

They do not show them online so I had almost given up finding any but they have them in the store. I have only had to used up to the 20lb for lower body during the Push month. I also have weighted gloves so I can add .5-2lb for smaller increments of increase.

I don't like the select tex as wholly molly that is a lot of cash and they look so cumbersome. I also had some rubber covered dumbles 5-12lb which are really nice as well but they do not make them in the heavier sizes that I can find.