HOPEFUL newbie with more questions (thx/sorry!)

Options
jen_fitnhappy
jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
Greetings Pals!

Longtime lurker here. All the recent hoopla about eating more has gotten me excited to finally contribute!
THIS sounds like something I can do :) Despite my efforts, I have been stuck at my current weight for... YEARS! I've always been upset that no matter what I've done nothing has worked (except eating more of course!). From what I've read I think I've killed my metabolism and my body is holding on to all its got.

Age - 39
Height - 5'5"
CW - 145
GW - 130-135 (half pound loss per week)
BMR - 1408
Activity Level - Moderately Active?

I have a desk job but workout 1 hour/day 6 days/week burning 350-400 calories. I am doing a mixture of Jillian's No More Trouble Zones & Banish Fat Boost Metabolism and treadmill jogging. I think this makes me moderately active?

Should my calorie goal be:

1) 1408 (BMR) + 350/400 (exercise calories) = 1758-1808 GROSS

2) 1408 (BMR) x 1.55 (mod active) = 2182; 2182-250 = 1932 GROSS

3) 1408 (BMR) x 1.2 (sedentary) = 1690; 1690-250 = 1440 NET

If I go with #2 I'm not sure if I'm using the correct activity multiplier and may be overestimating. Would it just be easier to go with #1 OR #3? Or any other GROSS/NET calorie suggestions based on my stats?

On a positive note, I must add that I have STOPPED WEIGHING MYSELF and took measurements. I have seen some loss in inches :) Thanks to all for reading this and any suggestions. I hope to be more active in this community and let you know how this goes.

Jen

Replies

• DecemberNick
    DecemberNick Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    6 days a week for an hour? You're short changing yourself. In the very least, I would say it puts you at the upper end of the moderately active modifier (1.6). Option #3 isn't even a consideration, banish it from thought :-P

I'd suggest option #2 as your best bet. Mixing in some strength training would help to shake things up too. I'm actually integrating more routines like Jillian's after only doing years of exclusive strength training and I've seen some leaning up in my mid section finally!

Keep us posted, let us know how it goes!
  • DecemberNick
    DecemberNick Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    And good lord, did you just apologize for not having all the answers? Be vocal, get the information you need! No apologies necessary ;)
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options

Should my calorie goal be:

1) 1408 (BMR) + 350/400 (exercise calories) = 1758-1808 GROSS

2) 1408 (BMR) x 1.55 (mod active) = 2182; 2182-250 = 1932 GROSS

3) 1408 (BMR) x 1.2 (sedentary) = 1690; 1690-250 = 1440 NET

Jen, you're almost there with #2.

You take your BMR X activity level X 1.1 (burned while digesting food) to get your TDEE. From there you take off 15% for weight loss/cutting.

For you it would be 1408 (BMR) X 1.55 (mod active) X 1.1 = 2401

2401 - 360 (15%) = 2041

With this method you should never go below 1408 (BMR) and can work up to 2041 calories. Since I'm sure that number scares you a bit (it scared me too when I did my math), I would not go below 1400 and start adding 100-300 calories per day until you're comfortable.

In my case, I work a desk job and am pretty inactive except for the time I set aside to walk/spin/lift. My heart rate monitor is my friend and I wear it every day. So, I use a 1.2 factor for activity level, count all my exercise, and try to eat those exercise calories back. That's an option for you as well.

This method really works. I've been doing it for 11 days and so far I've gone up 3 pounds AND lost 5 pounds all while eating and reducing my exercise level. Later this week, I will write up my story once I get to the 14 day mark.

Good luck! Enjoy eating!!
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying guys! To start I am going to shoot for 2000 calories/day then! (Note to self - this 2000 calorie goal already has my exercise calories built in). I had seen on fat2fitradio and other sites that based on my stats I should eat 2000 calories. It's reassuring to hear the same from you, real "live" people LOL!

I feel such a sense of relief now that I can relax and ENJOY food.