Body Weight Training

Options
ATM, I am not able to go to the gym and the heaviest weights I have are 5lbs. I am unable to purchase anything or join a gym until I receive my tax return.

I would like suggestions on if body weight training is effective and any routines for beginners? I am a novice and really haven't don't any sort of weight training in YEARS!

I just started www.nerdfitness.com 's body weight for beginner's rountine. I did make it through all of the 1st set as far as repetitions. I am out of shape big time.

I would like to get myself started on the right track.

Thanks!

Michelle

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I would have a look around the house. Got a sack of flour? Bag of sugar? Cans of tomatoes? A fat cat? ;) Gallon or 2 liter jugs filled with water or dirt are great dumbells in a pinch. A friend of mine swears by cinder blocks and bricks.

Pushups are always a great thing too- if you get really good see if you can do it with a kid sitting on you. Adds a challenge for you and makes the kidlet laugh and see that exercise is fun.
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    i do jillian michaels yoga meltdown dvd 10 bucks at wal mart.....bdoy weight training is where its at! i have formed muscle out the wa zoo from it!
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I used the Women's Health Belly off program for 8 wks as a beginner. You can find it online. Now I'm doing a primal workout routine by Samuel Pont that I downloaded on my Android for $1. Lots of good routines out there.
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    I'm starting out with the nerd fitness beginners routine, I have adapted it slightly & i'm at the end of my second week doing it 3x a wk & can certainly feel it when I've finished! Looking in to moving onto a fitness dvd such as jillian michaels or buying some dumbbells once I have mastered the basics!
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest nerd fitness but see that you're already doing that!
  • msesheta
    msesheta Posts: 29
    Options
    This is a great beginner workout and the trainer is nice :)

http://amerrylife.com/2011/04/14/bodyrock-tv-absolute-beginner-workout/

Shelley