New to the program...some advice pls

Options
ayummymommy01
ayummymommy01 Posts: 135 Member
So I have started this program today. I did workout 1A from stage 1. Was finished pretty quicklycompared to what I am used to but feel like I worked for sure.
Question:
this is what I plan to do please give any feedback...

Sunday: HIIT cardio
Monday: Weights, 15 min cardio (cool down)
Tuesday: HIIT Cardio
WednesdayL: Weights, 15 min cardio (cool down)
Thursday: Boxing class 50 min
Friday: Weights, 15 min cardio (cool down)
Saturday: Off day

I follow the Spike Diet.
Any advice? comments? suggestions?
How have your results been with the program?

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    My concern is that you have TOO MUCH CARDIO in your "plan". Please reconsider.
  • ayummymommy01
    Options
    I know...I am thinking that too. What do you suggest?
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm super interested in hearing about this as well!
    yummymommy- I incorporate lots of HIIT cardio in my workouts as well :-)

Do you follow a specific plan for the spike diet? I'm asking b/c I usually incorporate a spike day once a week, but I just worry I'm not doing it the correct way- lol!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you know what. just try it out for a week and see how you feel. if you find that you arent recovering as you should, not progressing in weights, getting worse in weights and overly tired, then you definitely want to cut back. if you arent then go for it. i'm also doing a lot more cardio than the plan recommends but i feel good, i'm not stalling on weights and i'm not overly sore.
  • ayummymommy01
    Options
    you know what. just try it out for a week and see how you feel. if you find that you arent recovering as you should, not progressing in weights, getting worse in weights and overly tired, then you definitely want to cut back. if you arent then go for it. i'm also doing a lot more cardio than the plan recommends but i feel good, i'm not stalling on weights and i'm not overly sore.

Thank you!! I will try for a week or so and if I feel it is too much first thing I'd cut back on is the post weights 15 min HIIT.... then go from there.
    You are finding good results though?
  • ayummymommy01
    Options

Do you follow a specific plan for the spike diet? I'm asking b/c I usually incorporate a spike day once a week, but I just worry I'm not doing it the correct way- lol!
    Yes I follow Russ Branjord's book and he has a whole plan that goes with it. http://spike84.com/store/ The plan is great and fits my lifestyle. I don't have a ton to lose so it is not falling off yet but it is coming off slowly.
    check it out. I recommend it.
  • ecrogers4
    ecrogers4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I combined my HIIT days with my weight days into one... that way - I'm only at the gym 3 days a week (plus a yoga class or two)... I found that worked really well all through phase 1... I'm just starting phase 2.

I think that doing it that way still gave me the "rest days" that he talks about but also the benefits from the HIIT, and the bonus of my not getting burned out of going to the gym as well... I did about 20 min before each weight session as my "warm up."
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options

Yes I follow Russ Branjord's book and he has a whole plan that goes with it. http://spike84.com/store/ The plan is great and fits my lifestyle. I don't have a ton to lose so it is not falling off yet but it is coming off slowly.
    check it out. I recommend it.

Thanks! So I went out and checked out the Spike 84 plan. Sounds like 6 days/week, you eat at your BMR and on the 7th day, you eat 2x your BMR? Is that right? Do you find it difficult? My BMR is listed on MFP as 1282- I'm not sure I could do that, especially with not eating back exercise calories. I tried eating BMR back some time ago, and I became a SUPER b%#^h! LOL- I was mean, hungry, cranky, and tired all the time :-(
    I hope it works out for you- keep us updated!!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    ayummymommy, I would like you to try what you are doing for a couple of weeks and report back. If you aren't seeing consistent movement to heavier and heavier weights, then I think ecrogers suggestion is a very good one.
  • ayummymommy01
    Options
    ok, will do!!
    and as for Spiking...
    It is 3 days at your BMR and supposed to be 3 days at 500 below and 2xBMR spike day... but since cals are already pretty low I do about BMR everyday (mine is about 1380).
    On bigger burn days you would hit BMR on lesser burns or rest days I hit below BMR, but come Spike Day...you forget if you felt hungry lol!!
    I actually feel fine most days. I am short so I don't need huge cals and I'd much rather be able to have what I want one day a week cuz the rest of the week I do not find it hard to stick to my eating regime.
    Check it out...can't hurt to try right?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

You are finding good results though?

progressing on the weights, running feels stronger and i'm losing weight (well these last 2 weeks has been inches lost and no weight). i'm still keeping my total real workout time to no more than 60 minutes a day 6 days a week. if i do anything longer, then it's from stretching and a a random yoga or water aerobics class
  • aliciakay3086
    aliciakay3086 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This schedule may work for you in the early stages when workouts are shorter and less complicated. As you go into later stages, the workouts get longer, harder and they incorporate some cardio, so you'll probably have to back off on all those other cardio days when you get there.

I did very little cardio during NROLFW - mostly because I was just worn out from the workouts! :) Now running is so boring to me.
  • ayummymommy01
    Options
    Day by day...
    For now I will stick with what I am doing. I am really only doing the cardio to feel good and fill time. My training is intense enough. Been feeling it good.
    When the program gets lengthier etc. won't feel the need to fill the time.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Well....there's "always" time to fill (compared to cardio, I find)....because even when the work-outs get longer, so do the REST PERIODS in between sets. So, yep, there's a LOT of standing around time when weight-training.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I had to quit my Wednesday Zumba class because I was half-assing it after lifting. I wasn't given either the attention it deserves. Now I stretch it out and do my cardio on Tuesday, which used to be a rest day. It's going well. Sometimes you have to play with your schedule and see what works and how you feels. I did my new schedule this week and I was REALLY looking forward to my Thursday rest day.
  • ayummymommy01
    Options
    Well....there's "always" time to fill (compared to cardio, I find)....because even when the work-outs get longer, so do the REST PERIODS in between sets. So, yep, there's a LOT of standing around time when weight-training.

I am doing HIIT AFTER lifting...as the workouts right now are only about 35 min. I do 15 min HIIT. When there is no time, there is no time...until then...been lifting heavy for 8+ years, I know I need a bit of additional cardio at this time :)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I did HIIT after the work-outs in Stage 1, too, ayummymommy. In Stage 2, I just found I didn't have the *time* to do HIIT after weight-training, so I did it on my in-between days.

Now, in Stage 3, I'll be doing HIIT/body matrix on my in-between days, too....cannot figure out how people muster up the ENERGY to do all that AFTER weight-training! Whew!!!
  • ayummymommy01
    Options
    I did HIIT after the work-outs in Stage 1, too, ayummymommy. In Stage 2, I just found I didn't have the *time* to do HIIT after weight-training, so I did it on my in-between days.

Now, in Stage 3, I'll be doing HIIT/body matrix on my in-between days, too....cannot figure out how people muster up the ENERGY to do all that AFTER weight-training! Whew!!!

And that is probably going to be how I progress as well.
    Thanks!