Excited to be here, but scared to death like many....

Options
I have just finished up my first week of "dieting". I thought I had been doing great, but as I was weighing each morning I was getting frustrated that I wasn't dropping more quickly. I am not new to yo-yo dieting and this is the heaviest I have EVER started. Considering my start weight and habits leading up to last week, I figured I would see a minimum loss of 3 pounds with water weight and the 7000+ calorie deficit I created (my average NET calories was around 800 per day). So what did I lose? 1 pound.

I started reading through all of the forums and posts and I started questioning my methods. I have lost weight successfully in the past but I have ALWAYS ended up a skinnier version of my fat self. I always felt I just needed to lose a little more, then I would look better. I can't keep screwing around like that. I have 6 kids to care for and last week I was tired and grumpy. I don't want to be like that. I don't want to live that way.

It makes sense that the low cal way doesn't work. I was having this internal battle with myself each day. I knew I should get up and eat breakfast right away, but I didn't want to start using my calories at 6:30a.m.! How will I feel satisfied for the next 14 hours with only 900 more calories to spare? I love green smoothies with fruits and veggies, but they can get around 200+ calories. I can't afford to have a green smoothie, or even a protein shake! I felt I was depriving myself of everything bad AND good, but I had to do it. There was no other way in my mind. Then I found you all! :heart:

I also referenced a book that I have trusted in the past. I need to eat more....and better! From my past weight loss experience I KNOW that it isn't just calories in vs. calories out. My body does not treat 1500 calories of healthy food the same as 1500 calories of junk. All calories are not created equally. I need to be eating more than 1700 calories each day of healthy, nutrient dense foods. I know this, but I am so scared to do it.

I want to lose weight NOW!!!!!! I don't want to wait for my metabolism to speed up. I don't have time for that. It is getting hot here in Arizona and in my current state of being I can't wear short sleeves! I have to lose weight TODAY. The voice inside my head is persistent. It tells me that I have to be extreme. It tells me that the fewer calories I eat, the better off I will be. I am tired of that voice. It stresses me out and makes me feel like I can never be good enough.

I am going to trust the numbers, and common sense, and the people that have succeeded before me. I am going to eat more. I am going to give my body what it needs to be healthy. I am going to do this the right way.

Thank you all for giving me the courage and motivation to do what makes sense. I am starting with the NET 1700 calories point. According to the TDEE of 2450 I know in theory I can eat more. I guess I am too scared to jump in that big already. This is scary for us low-cal ladies!

Anyway, I am excited to get to know you all and see the successes that this journey has in store for us.

Corrie

Replies

• 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Wow, Corrie.

That was beautiful. Seriously. Thank you for putting out there what most of us feel upon beginning this journey. You are in the right place :flowerforyou:

Stay strong, patient, and consistent on your new journey, and your body will thank you :smile:

Kiki
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

I want to lose weight NOW!!!!!! I don't want to wait for my metabolism to speed up. I don't have time for that. It is getting hot here in Arizona and in my current state of being I can't wear short sleeves! I have to lose weight TODAY. The voice inside my head is persistent. It tells me that I have to be extreme. It tells me that the fewer calories I eat, the better off I will be. I am tired of that voice. It stresses me out and makes me feel like I can never be good enough.

heyyyy- are you inside my brain? I could have written that paragraph. One day I just sat and asked myself 'who said I was so crap and why did I believe them?". That voice kept me starving for years and binging in secret- waking up with more shame and guilt from being 'bad' again.

That same voice shoves impatience at me and makes me want it all now now now! If I don't see TEN POUNDS gone in a week I will just DIE!

Oh how the voice lies lol

Glad you've found the group Corrie- very happy to see another person fueling themselves and their health. You're doing great and are going to get better and better!!!
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Hi Corrie! I'm Shanna :smile:

Im feeling the same as you. I jst upped my calories to 1700 a day and I'm going to work on getting them to 2200. I'm scared too. Its hard to do this but we are strong and I believe in us. There are a lot of other wonderful peopel on here that believe in us as well.

Heres to new starts!:drinker:
  • 6anddone
    6anddone Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the great comments! This really is a great group of ladies:)

Kiki- I know that you are right. You are living proof and I can't wait to be a motivator for others someday!

Gemi- That voice is just rude! I felt great ignoring it today! Thank you for the encouraging words:)

Shanna- at what rate are you upping your calories? I can't decide where to go from my initial start. I want to see how I respond to this first. All I know is that I have loved eating today! To actually feel "allowed" to fuel my body with healthy foods, what a treat!

~Corrie
  • naonah
    naonah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, you guys are in my head too! I just upped my cals from 1350 to 1800 today. Scared out of my mind, but I read that we have to be patient and do this for a while before we see success. I've starved my body (though you wouldn't know it if you saw me!) and upping my cals will apparently be considered a binge for my body. It will take a week or two for it to stop and wonder if and when I will make it starve again. So, I might gain a bit, then stabilize and eventually start losing. Argghh...but this is for a better life, so slow and steady will get me through it. My life is not a race.

Nadia
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hi Corrie,

Wow, thanks for sharing...girl you so said all I thought and felt after my last delivery...now now now. Starving to no frustrating end. Girl it is a process but I am learning everything in life is a process. Yes we can cut corners to get to goal fast (or try to) but the end results is not what it could be (if we ever get there)... So now I think if I were building a house, would I want the builder to skimp (too few cals) and use less than par materials (junk in cause you know you carb to death with too few cals) and rush through the process to have me move in faster? Ummm....no! Our bodies needs fuel, strength training, time to transform and build lean muscles and shed the fat. It is a process that takes time...I do appreciate though that I am no longer deprived and miserable, so it is ok the scale isn't flying south. The energy and liberation from the chains of 1200 cals...oh my I can never go back.
  • AmyzNewGroove
    AmyzNewGroove Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I heart this post! I just upped my daily goal to 1800ish and the internal tug of war between "the voice" and my common sense is making me half crazy. Lol :)

Nice to "meet" you Corrie!
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! This is hard for me too. I'm used to losing weight by eating 1500-1300 cals plus an hour of exercise = 800-900 net cals, so eating 1800-2200 is so hard. I'm always afraid I'll wake up one day and my clothes won't fit and I won't feel my hipbones like I used to when I starved myself to a small size.
    BUT
    I wasn't losing weight/living healthy/eating enough doing that and it was mentally horrible to be hungry all the time.
    Just give it a shot and hang in for 6-8 weeks and let your body adjust. Starving is no way to live life.
    Most of us had to learn that the hard way!
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Great post thankyou for sharing exactly how I feel scared and excited lol xxx Good luck x
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! This is hard for me too. I'm used to losing weight by eating 1500-1300 cals plus an hour of exercise = 800-900 net cals, so eating 1800-2200 is so hard. I'm always afraid I'll wake up one day and my clothes won't fit and I won't feel my hipbones like I used to when I starved myself to a small size.
    BUT
    I wasn't losing weight/living healthy/eating enough doing that and it was mentally horrible to be hungry all the time.
    Just give it a shot and hang in for 6-8 weeks and let your body adjust. Starving is no way to live life.
    Most of us had to learn that the hard way!

YES and I WAS one of those hard heads...starving....I am FULL right now and lunch is around the corner...such a nice change.
  • naonah
    naonah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have the same tug of war going on within me. 2 days of eating 1800 makes my belly smile :)
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    i'm teetering on the brink of upping my calories....but I'm scared!
  • luna923
    luna923 Posts: 3
    Options
    It's scary because it is against everything you have heard your whole life...the unknown, if you will. I took the leap...and so did the scale, AT FIRST. Within a couple of weeks the scale is starting to go down. More importantly, my clothes fit better and best of all, I am happy, not easily angered, no longer tired all the time and no longer fighting and berating myself for lack of willpower and motivation. Hang in there....we're here with you and we won't let you fail.

Best wishes....
    Luna923
  • rogue214
    rogue214 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am new to the group and I have always heard that you had to eat more to lose weight becasue your body needs it. It has been really hard for me to get that through my head. I have signed up for the Biggest Loser at our local gym twice now and have only lost 6 lbs in 5 months. Very discouraging. I am 37, 5'6" and weigh 180 lbs. I dont look bad but I dont feel good about myself. I want to be comfortable in my clothes and not be an embaresment to my kids at the pool. (even thought my daughter says that Im not fat) Love that kid. My goal is to be 160 to 155.
    I have upped my cals to 1800 which is 230 over my BMR and 224 below my TDEE after 15%. I do cardio 3 - 4 times a week and will be adding streight in 2 days a week. I am really nervous about upping my caloris but I am tired of losing and gaining the same 3 lbs. ( I have noticed that this is the trend). I am only going to weigh in once a month. I really dont want to see the initial weight gain or I will sabatoge myself.
    I am optomistic and have my fingers crossed. :happy:
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I am new to the group and I have always heard that you had to eat more to lose weight becasue your body needs it. It has been really hard for me to get that through my head. I have signed up for the Biggest Loser at our local gym twice now and have only lost 6 lbs in 5 months. Very discouraging. I am 37, 5'6" and weigh 180 lbs. I dont look bad but I dont feel good about myself. I want to be comfortable in my clothes and not be an embaresment to my kids at the pool. (even thought my daughter says that Im not fat) Love that kid. My goal is to be 160 to 155.
    I have upped my cals to 1800 which is 230 over my BMR and 224 below my TDEE after 15%. I do cardio 3 - 4 times a week and will be adding streight in 2 days a week. I am really nervous about upping my caloris but I am tired of losing and gaining the same 3 lbs. ( I have noticed that this is the trend). I am only going to weigh in once a month. I really dont want to see the initial weight gain or I will sabatoge myself.
    I am optomistic and have my fingers crossed. :happy:

Trust me, you have done the right thing...your body will thank you for it. Just remember to read the topic on upping...this isn't a quick fix, but a healthy new lifestyle that fuels your body and helps revv up the metabolism to help burn the fat. You have a great plan right there...please keep up posted!