Front squat/push press problems!

Options
sarah2002
sarah2002 Posts: 77 Member
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do these! It seems like the bar is either resting directly on a shoulder bone or squishing up against my neck choking me. Also, if my forearms are parallel to the ground/perpendicular to my body like in the description, then my fingertips are back behind my shoulders, so I can't figure out how to let the bar rest on my fingertips. Maybe I just have weird arms? Anyone else have trouble with this?

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    This was terrible for me, I hate front squat/push press. I find that it rests on my collar bones and hurts my wrists. I'm not extremely flexible, so it was a really tough position for me.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I don't think the forearms are literally parallel to the ground. I do this move with no problem and I just checked my form in the mirror to see what is going on and my elbows are moving forward, and move forward even more when I squat - moving toward parallel to the ground - but they never achieve parallel to the ground. I think you just need to keep your elbows moving forward when you squat so that you don't drop the bar.

The bar also doesn't rest on my fingertips... it rests at the very top of my palm and the most lower part of my fingers at the start of the movement.

Hope this helps.
  • sarah2002
    sarah2002 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll have to check with a mirror to see what my arms are doing next time. Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't love this move!
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    I tried getting the bar to my fingertips and moving my elbows up more, but it is just not happening.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i love love love this movement. this and the 1 armed DB snatch are my favorite in the entire program.

anyway, the 90 degree angle depends a lot on your hand position on the bar and the amount of flexibility you have in your shoulder. the less flexibility you have, the wider your grip should be on the bar.