Balancing Macros

Options
lnicole1625
lnicole1625 Posts: 40 Member
Hello,

I am having a problem with carbs mostly. I almost always go over my carb limit. How can I up my calories with out going over carbs? Should I worry about it? I also need help re-adjusting my numbers. I am at 1600 a day right now, but I think I need to increase. Most days I don't even hit it because of the fear of over doing the carbs.

Thanks for any and all help you can give!

Lisa

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am having a problem with carbs mostly. I almost always go over my carb limit. How can I up my calories with out going over carbs? Should I worry about it? I also need help re-adjusting my numbers. I am at 1600 a day right now, but I think I need to increase. Most days I don't even hit it because of the fear of over doing the carbs.

Thanks for any and all help you can give!

Lisa

What are your ratios? I use 40/30/30 based on what I've read and it works well for me. The key for me was to up my protein. In doing that I didn't crave as much carbs. I tend steer towards more fruits and veggies on most days..it is rare that I do much bread and pasta (except this week I did have way more than usual.) What helps is I also drink a good whey protein shake... I just don't know how I would get in the protein I need without it. I am sure some others will join in here with tips as well. Feel free to view my diary, what you see is what I eat.

Oh another thing that helps is planning your meals and snacks in the morning. I eat six times a day and the moment I get to work I build my menu. I may not be positive as to what dinner will be but everything else is planned so then I have the opportunity to adjust if macros aren't lining up.
  • trishadams
    trishadams Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa,

I keep my ratios about the same as Lucia. It's never exact, but it's close. I love carbs and struggle with not overdoing it sometimes. Are you getting in enough fat and protein? When I started focusing on increasing the other macros, the carbs kind of fell in to place. I also try to get in veggies/fruit at every meal. Again, some days it works really well, others not so much.

As for upping your cals, read the TDEE post to determine where you should be.

Trish
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    The problem I have is that as most of protein comes from beans, nuts and seeds and they also high in carbs, So if I have veggie chilli (lentils, beans, veggies) with brown rice or cous cous while it's a good combination as a vegetarian protein rich meal it's also high in carbs.

I have adjusted my macros to reflect this, but also I am only just starting my eat more cals life, adjusting to eating more so hopefully this is something that will even out a bit as I settle in to a new way of eating.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    The problem I have is that as most of protein comes from beans, nuts and seeds and they also high in carbs, So if I have veggie chilli (lentils, beans, veggies) with brown rice or cous cous while it's a good combination as a vegetarian protein rich meal it's also high in carbs.

I have adjusted my macros to reflect this, but also I am only just starting my eat more cals life, adjusting to eating more so hopefully this is something that will even out a bit as I settle in to a new way of eating.

My Hubby is a vegan and shares your frustration :)

We bought soy flavorless protein powder from Kroger's and he now puts it on everything he eats. On his flax seed and applesauce in the morning, in his 'cheese' sauces, in his soymilk- everything. it's really helped him get enough protein and balance out his macros.
  • lnicole1625
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Right now I have it set at 40/30/30. I am going to re-figure my TDEE and numbers. I might look at some protein shakes today. I need to do something to up my protein.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Right now I have it set at 40/30/30. I am going to re-figure my TDEE and numbers. I might look at some protein shakes today. I need to do something to up my protein.

Jillian Micheals has a good inexpensive shake at walmart and targets and I hear Kroger too.

I love Dr. Mercola Pure Protein Power, it is a little pricey, but the whey is from grass fed organic cows, packed with chia seeds and other great things...I LOVE IT and I am worth it...lol. You can only get it online at www.mercola.com.
  • lnicole1625
    Options

Jillian Micheals has a good inexpensive shake at walmart and targets and I hear Kroger too.

I love Dr. Mercola Pure Protein Power, it is a little pricey, but the whey is from grass fed organic cows, packed with chia seeds and other great things...I LOVE IT and I am worth it...lol. You can only get it online at www.mercola.com.

Thanks for the tips! Hey, do you know if I have to add stuff to the shakes? Do they come already flavored?
  • ANewLucia
    Options

Thanks for the tips! Hey, do you know if I have to add stuff to the shakes? Do they come already flavored?

JM shakes comes in vanilla and chocolate.