Upping calories and losing weight

Options
Mentioned in my minimins diary but can really start a new thread about it on s and s section

over the past 5 to 7 days Ive upped my calorie and carb intake to 1000cals and 80 to 100 carbs
.and Ive lost 2,8lb , cant really explain why this has happened as Ive been slogging away , as some of you will know trying to be a good vlcder , not always succeeding and have never got this low

Im still using s and s packs , between 2 and 4 per day , but adding in , chicken , tuna , mayonaise, picking at various things on my sons dinner plate , eating jelly babies everytime I get in the car , kids yogurts , even the occasional bowl of cereal

So quite random but im still getting used to calorie counting versus s and s, but seems to be doing something for me

Ive lost the urge to binge , which I have on s and s , becasue I feel so deprived

Ive also started exercising ,

I cant explain it , but Im going to carry on and see if this is what I need to be doing , If i can lose 2lb per week with calorie counting and exercise that will actually be more successful that my vlcd was towards the end

Anyone else experienced this ?

Replies

• Minimooshable
    Options
    I've noticed that I seem to have better losses the weeks I blip in a controlled way- I mean by having an extra pack, better a non-bar pack, or extra protein. The weeks I carbed up.... well that was bad, loss of 1lb and STS. But yes I think upping the cals has helped a little. I may do 4 packs, 5 packs a day alternating or 4 packs then 4 with protein. Seems to help. But then I do do a LOT of walking in a day, my estimates on here are probably less than I do because I never time myself and I don't know how fast I walk!
  • Pheonix2010
    Options
    Its weird isnt it ?
    I do understand the value of vlcd and ketosis and Im sure for some people it works great

But I never really experienced the lack of hunger or the euphoria and energy that people report

I just seem to slip in and out of ketosis quite easily and I have awful headaches with it

I also found I was having 2 or 3 periods a month and my water balance was all over the place, and by about day 9 or 10 my carb cravings were awful , leading me to binge on all the wrong stuff and back to square one

I think it worked great when I was heavier but as I get my weight closer to goal I just stalled and couldnt stay on track , maybe its not the best way to lose the last stone , I will figure out this whole weight loss business some day lol
  • weaseytoo
    Options
    I'm currently losing about 2lbs a week - much slower since I've got close to goal. Haven't tried upping the calories or carbs - but also don't have the urge to lapse most of the time. Definitely in ketosis because any hunger I get is from my head not my body! I'm a bit scared to up the cals/carbs though... Might leave it until re-feeding time to play. I love the fact that MFP gives you the option of controlling the diet yourself though - giving you all the info you need to make informed decisions rather than having gross rules - such as 200g of veg a day. I think it'll be invaluable during refeeding and also maintenance - in working out how many calories you can eat to maintain. I also think I may be sentsitive to carbs so I'll be able to play with that too.
  • Pheonix2010
    Options
    I went shopping for food today wow
    I need things I can snack on that wont send me over the edge carb wise , and have to get used to grabbing these things , instead of the old habits of reaching for cake , biscuit, toast or cereal

So , have come home with eggs , pickled eggs , hesseys sausages , pickled beetroot, cottage cheese , sunflower seeds , natural yogurt , chicken , tuna , low fat mayo, spices to liven up my chicken

Its weird becasue i was studying the labels , but whereas before I would have looked at the calories and fat , Im looking at the carbs too
    Its a revelation to me that some things have no carbs in !!
    A distinct lack of sweet things i that low carb list though , any ideas how I can rectify that without overdosing on carb
    I do like a good balance of savoury and sweet

Oh I chose a couple of lower carb cereals too and will be religiously weighing out 30g , couldnt find anything lower than 60g per 100g carbs though , thats going to be difficult

You can see why i couldnt have posted on s and s , all the food references , sorry ladies

Id love to see a before picture weasy , do you have any or like me did you burn them lol, youve done so amazingly :-)
  • Pheonix2010
    Options
    Im loving mfp too Weasey, the food tracker is awesome
    I think most of my hunger was my mind rebelling against denying myself , Im not very good at being told what to do and I have little will power , so not a good combination