Eating calories back and when will weight respond?

Options
jelicaa
jelicaa Posts: 83 Member
Hello! When I started with MFP I was at 1200 but ate at least 1/2 of my calories back from excercise. I do bootcamp 5 days a week and burn any where between 500-800 calories per session (depending if 30 or 45 minutes long). I lost weight...lots, then hit a plateau.With research it look like I wasn't eating enough....back. I've increased my calories and trying to eat back my calories and now when I weight myself (I know I shouldn't look at the scale)...I gained about 1.5 pounds. How long does it take for my body to spring back into action of losing weight? My clothes do fit way better...but for my own sanity I would love to hit that next mini goal weight of 165. I was at 166.4 and stayed there and now I'm 168.

thanks in advance.

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hello! When I started with MFP I was at 1200 but ate at least 1/2 of my calories back from excercise. I do bootcamp 5 days a week and burn any where between 500-800 calories per session (depending if 30 or 45 minutes long). I lost weight...lots, then hit a plateau.With research it look like I wasn't eating enough....back. I've increased my calories and trying to eat back my calories and now when I weight myself (I know I shouldn't look at the scale)...I gained about 1.5 pounds. How long does it take for my body to spring back into action of losing weight? My clothes do fit way better...but for my own sanity I would love to hit that next mini goal weight of 165. I was at 166.4 and stayed there and now I'm 168.

thanks in advance.

Ok, question, have you read the article on TDEE and are you eating a cut of 15% from TDEE. If you are and the TDEE is right, then you should have to eat additional calories when you workout....just make sure you are Netting BMR.

Example...my cut is 1900 so lets say I zumba and burn 300...then I don't have to eat back any of it because my BMR is 1433 and my NET cals is 1600...so I am good. BUT if I have a high burn day of 1200 calories then my NET is only 700 so I would have to eat at least 733 to NET my BMR.

Ok now, a good article to take a look at is the that talks about what to expect when upping your cals. Everyone's body is difference, some people see a drop the same week, others after one or two weeks...me personally lost 4lbs 1st week, then gained back 3lbs over the next few to be at a total net loss of 1lb at week 4. I sure wasn't discouraged because I watched my body release some fat around my waist (lost 1in in that month off my waist), clothes I couldn't fit at the same weight before was fitting. I lift heavy 3xs a week and have cut back on high cardio burns so I don't have to eat back cals...

Hope this help, but please take a look at those articles mentioned above.
  • jelicaa
    Options
    Okay, I'm confused. Can you help with the TDEE.
    I'm 5'6, last weight in 168.
    work out 5 days a week of bootcamp (as indicated above)

any more info would be great.
  • jelicaa
    Options
    Okay, I found http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/.

It says that my rest and workout days I should be eating 1850 calories (20% cut). I think this make sense.
  • ANewLucia
    Options

It says that my rest and workout days I should be eating 1850 calories (20% cut). I think this make sense.

Ok, great great!
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have a long history of yo-yo dieting (25+ years), and they were always some crazy restrictive stuff. My metabolism was shot (my poor body, what I did to it!).

Anyway, it took me about 4 weeks to even out. I gained 5 pounds initially, but ended up with a net loss of 2 pounds. I did not do any major cardio during this time because I wanted to send my body the signal that it was going to get consistent fuel and I wasn't going to try to 'burn' up all its food.

For me, the scale is usually all over the place, by 2 to 3 pounds. I do tend to weigh daily and this shows all my water and glycogen fluctuations. I know that when I 'gain' that it is NOT fat, so I'm ok with it. I use it as a tool to see how food affects me as far as water retention, bloating, and exercise are concerned. That being said, I have been losing consistently, about a pound every 7 to 10 days. Considering my extensive dieting, plateauing, and rebound weight gain issues, I am more than pleased with this!

I eat way more, and much more consistently than I ever have. I pretty much eat the way I intend to eat for the rest of my life - and that includes chips, fried foods, donuts, even fast food in a pinch. The difference is quantity and how often, and the quality of the rest of the food I eat most of the time. I still hate cardio, and since I know that I won't be doing it in the future, I'm not going to make it a part of my fat loss journey. That's not to say that I don't LOVE hiking, tennis, cycling, swimming, gardening, etc. And I know that those things will be a part of my life forever, so that's what I'm doing to lose fat. Oh, and I love what weight lifting is doing to my body, so I am doing that, too.

So hang in there - if it's working for me, it'll work for anybody (disclaimer - unless you have a specific medical condition that affects you.)

PS - my highest weight was 233, 201 when I joined MFP, and is currently 186 .And I have every confidence that I WILL make my goal eating this way.

Thanks to all my 'eat more' friends, especially the ones who started this group and take the time the educate and inspire the rest of us!
  • josephine_x
    josephine_x Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I upped my cals from 1340 to 1550 and eat back all my exercise cals, the first 2 weeks I gained 2.5lb which was disheartening but carried on taking advice from people on here and eating more and sure enough i've started losing again while eating more than I ever have!! I have also added weights in which is definitely helping my body shape. Keep at it, restricting cals too much only works temporarily.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

Ok, great great!

This seems to work for me too, it has me at around 1500 for non workout days (I calculated 1530) and 1800 for workout days (I typically burn 250 - 400 per workout so just eat those cals back.)

My weight has gone up at the end of week 1 BUT, I was drinking way too much last week due to work commitments so I'm going to ignore it and keep on going for another two weeks.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I upped my cals from 1340 to 1550 and eat back all my exercise cals, the first 2 weeks I gained 2.5lb which was disheartening but carried on taking advice from people on here and eating more and sure enough i've started losing again while eating more than I ever have!! I have also added weights in which is definitely helping my body shape. Keep at it, restricting cals too much only works temporarily.

YAY, Josephine!! So happy to hear that! Way to push through! That first gain is always so discouraging, but you are persevering :happy:
  • DecemberNick
    DecemberNick Posts: 64 Member
    Options

That's a fantastic calculator! I love it!
  • ANewLucia
    Options

Wow, I just went to check it out...LOVE IT!
  • josephine_x
    josephine_x Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Thanks Kiki! I just had a look at that calculator, it said I should only have 1291 cals on rest days, seems waaay low. Thats not even my BMR! I'm going with TDEE -20% at mo, a few people have said this is a good calculator http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
  • ANewLucia
    Options

Thanks Kiki! I just had a look at that calculator, it said I should only have 1291 cals on rest days, seems waaay low. Thats not even my BMR! I'm going with TDEE -20% at mo, a few people have said this is a good calculator http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

Oh my, the first calculator is way lower than this one...whew, there are soooo many out there you just don't know which one to go with. I tend to think the latter is more accurate since you have to log in your daily routine times for everything including sleep.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    agghhh all these different numbers and calculators are hurting my head!!! I must stop checking every day it's as bad as weighing every day!!!

I have netted 1800 all this week, I have been thinking it's too many from reading different posts and reading about not eating back exercise calories as they are already calculated in.

However one week in and my weight has gone down slightly as have my waist and hip measurements. Trust the numbers Trust the numbers......
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    agghhh all these different numbers and calculators are hurting my head!!! I must stop checking every day it's as bad as weighing every day!!!

I have netted 1800 all this week, I have been thinking it's too many from reading different posts and reading about not eating back exercise calories as they are already calculated in.

However one week in and my weight has gone down slightly as have my waist and hip measurements. Trust the numbers Trust the numbers......

Yes tdee calculates in exercise so to keep it simple we suggest eating minus 15% of tdee and eat back only on high cardio days if your net is under bmr.

So say your cut value is 2000 and bmr 1500 then you only start eating back if you burn over 500 cals. So you burn 700 one day then just add at least 200 to your daily intake.