Introduction

Options
JinxRita
JinxRita Posts: 191 Member
Hello, everyone! I've been a member of this group for only a short while. I thought that I ought to introduce myself and reach out a little bit.

I'm twenty-three years old and have been living with Hashimoto's since I was nine years old. At the moment, since I don't have a job (and therefor do not have medical insurance), I am unmedicated. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to help myself until I can get medication again. I've been doing okay so far, but recently I've been getting depressed much more easily, and my weight loss feels like it has stalled as a result. I could use some advice, or some friends to help perk me up, if anyone is interested. :)

I'm sure that I'll be able to lose the weight, but I know that it will take a long time. Right now, I think my biggest concern is just the depression/anxiety that is making life a bit harder. I've been taking a basic multivitamin, and have been trying to increase my water intake and of course rectify my diet. Other than that, I'm kind of at a loss!

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine fighting thyroid disease unmedicated!! My :heart: goes out to you!

You can try Thyrocsin (by Thorne Research) - I buy mine online - My Naturopath has me take it in addition to my thyroid meds.

You can also try 5-HTP - over the counter for depression and insomnia.

I would also recommend Natural Calm - Magnesium Citrate -- I buy mine at Amazon.com - helps with constipation, and does have a calming effect.

Most of us are also taking Vitamin D3 - many of us don't really get much sunshine or we wear sunscreen - so will have a Vit D deficiency -- but only D3 really helps.

Hope this helps a little.
    Terri
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • newtattie
    newtattie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I posted a thread yesterday asking for advice as I am not on meds either. I know how hard this can be - I had my left thyroid lobe removed at the age of 24 following over 3 years of depression symptoms, weight gain, agrophobia etc.

It will happen unfortunately - the best thing I can recommend is to remind yourself all the time that it is a symptom, nothing more - eat healthily - junk made me worse, drink lots of water as you say you are. When you have the energy exercise - I feel much better when I do - I now miss it if I don't exercise each day.

I looked a the Thyrocsin due to tecallahan's comment - might give it a go.

Keep going - friends are on here :happy:
  • JinxRita
    JinxRita Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice and help, and mostly just for listening. It definitely feels very lonely at times!

I'll look into these things a bit more when I can afford them. Until then, I'll keep on keeping on. :)
  • getfitpig
    getfitpig Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Check out places like Walmart or Target with the generics you may be able to get your medicine for less $10 a month. I hope that helps.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I would also say, if you are buying off the shelf, ask the Pharmacist to help you determine which brand to buy -- you want vitamins and supplements with natural ingredients - there are many products out there that are synthetic and can be toxic to us -- but on a very slow almost imperceptible level. So, go for natural supplements -- I can't really tell the difference, so my Naturopath tells me what brands -- but most pharmacies will help you with that.

Terri