I don't take meds

Options
newtattie
newtattie Posts: 47 Member
Hi,

I am fairly new to MFP but just found and joined this group - I had a thyroid operation 16 years ago - (early 20s then) and had my left lobe removed. I have never taken any medication apart from natural remedies such as kelp. I have always been over weight by about 20 to 30 pounds but felt so bad for the few years before the op that I followed my surgeon's advice when he said - it you start on medication you are on it for life.

Tellingly my two greatest weigh regulations were the loses I experienced during my two pregnancies.

I have been exercising since November - now up to about 5 times a week - I am losing weight but it is a slow steady plod loss.

I eat less than my 1200 calories everyday and yes my trainer says I lose slower potentially because of my thyroid but I do not want to go on medication - does anyone else not take medication and have natural tips to help weight loss.

Thanks for all replies:happy: :happy:

Replies

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I'm on meds but my only advice is to watch the calories. Everyone is different, but I find I lose much better at about 1350 calories. I go into plateaus at 1200. But, each of us has to find what works best for us.
  • newtattie
    Options
    Thanks - I am nervous about the calories I consume - generally I struggle to eat them all from a not hungry point of view but this week I have most days so will see if I lose still.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    There's at least one other on this forum that isn't on meds - she posted today: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/525818-introduction

Terri
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Why don't you take meds? Just curious.
  • newtattie
    Options
    There's at least one other on this forum that isn't on meds - she posted today: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/525818-introduction

Terri

Thanks - I followed the link and will get in touch with her - also there was some other non-med advice on there which was good.
  • newtattie
    Options
    Why don't you take meds? Just curious.

Always felt relatively healthy, I have carried weight, I have suffered from lethargy but have led a very full life anyway so until I really need them and there is no turning back I would rather not. My operation followed 3 years of chronic fatigue, false diagnosis and various depression meds - I really didn't want to take anything after the op if I could help it.

I have nothing against medication at all - just personally trying not to have to go there.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I was able to lose about 50 pounds before I started taking meds. I did it with very careful logging of calories (everything that passed through my lips was logged), NEVER going over 1600 calories in a day, and lots of exercise (2-3 hours a day, 5 days a week). Having only half your thyroid, you should be able to still lose with natural remedies.
  • Susancaskey
    Options
    With my docs advice, I am taking several supplements rather than typical thyroid meds. Up until this week I was thrilled, but I may need to rebalance them or something. I take kelp, a natural adrenal supplement, and a natural thyroid supplement made from cow parts... Nasty sounding but the idea is to help my thyroid work better rather then replace the hormones. Mostly this was our choice due to what seemed a really sudden onset and my test results were squirrelly.