Pamprin, Midol, etc

Options
fiberartist219
fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
What do you think of PMS pills? Do they do what they claim? My cramps aren't a big deal if I have some Advil or something, but the irritability is a little hard for me to get under control. I noticed that some of the pills claim that they help with this, but the ingredients more or less list a pain reliever, diuretic and an antihistamine. I don't think I'm allergic to my period... so I'm not sure if these would really help.

Anyone have experience with them?

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I'm a nursing student, and while I'm not an expert, i'll try to explain what I think.

I think they work for some people. I personally just take plain old ibuprofen, 200 mg, for the occasional cramps and it works pretty well. I also use a hot pack and that helps. I don't need anything more.

In the menstrual medications, they have the diuretic to help get rid of the bloating/water weight that comes along with your period. That bloating can cause some discomfort, both physical and mentally, so that is why that is there. Regarding the antihistamine, that is for the overall aches/pains that may come along with your period. A lot of people with allergies get fatigued and feel weak, so the antihistamine helps that. A lot of them also have caffeine because that helps with headaches, especially when added with the pain reliever.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation! I will keep that in mind for next month. I actually feel less irritable after working out. I think maybe I wore myself out... but the last two days I had been so tired, so maybe I might have benefited from trying one of these types of over the counters. I never thought retaining water would make me irritable, but it might.
  • christine24t
    Options
    You're welcome!

I don't necessarily think it the bloating is related to the irritability - that is more of the hormones in your body, but I think if you feel less confident because you feel yucky and bloated, the medication can help you feel better so your confidence is increased. I know I always feel gross when I have my period and I don't like to do anything. I should have worded that better! It made sense in my head lol but when I look back I wrote that weird.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Has anyone noticed that it actually reduces bloating? Any other suggestions for reducing bloating (if you have an important event coming up at the same time as your period is due)?

I thought the caffeine was for the pain, but also to contribute to reduced bloating? I don't get the kind with caffeine because caffeine causes me anxiety (especially if I'm already under stress).
  • christine24t
    Options
    ^ Caffeine has some diuretic actions.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Thanks for the info in this thread.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I just read that certain medications can cause bloating (as would be expected), but antihistamines was on the list of possible culprits. So, that seems counterproductive for that to be included in these products.

A better combo would be pain reliever, diuretic, simethicone. I also don't think they need to include caffeine because if someone wanted caffeine they could just take the pill with coffee, tea, or soda.