Frustrated

Options
diddyk
diddyk Posts: 269 Member
I quit smoking on February 6th, and have gained almost 10 pounds. I started on MFP ages ago trying to lose a weight and have just set myself back further than where I started. I know quitting smoking is better for me in the long run and should make my weight loss easier (by being able to exercise more!), but looking in the mirror is so depressing right now :(

I have been using the patch. I am finishing my 6 weeks on Step 1 this coming Sunday...and pretty nervous for Step 2. Did anyone have trouble adjusting between the patch doses? I sure hope it's not like first quitting...I'm getting better, but at first I was eating anything and everything to keep myself from smoking!

I've tried to workout out while wearing the patch, but find myself extremely light headed and nauseous. I know I've gained from a lack of exercise, all I can really manage while wearing the patch is walking. Anything that really gets my heart rate up or working hard makes me feel terrible. Anyone else had trouble with this?

Replies

• mjn18
    mjn18 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I quit several years ago using the patch. I had strange nightmares and nausea for a lot of the process. I do not remember there being any particular difficulty from going between step 1 and step 2. Focus on staying away from cigarettes and on why you are quitting. Try drinking water when you want a smoke instead of eating. And walking is the best exercise. If you are already in the habit of walking for at least twenty minutes everyday while you are on the patch then when you have finished the program you will be able to bump up your intensity. Good luck and feel free to add me if you would like.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    OP:

I've been off and on the patch (my preferred cessation method) for way longer than I should have been...but I've never had any of the problems you've described. Nor have I noticed a change between doses. Since I had been trying to quit with the patch for SO long this last go round I went only 6 weeks and not the whole 10.

You have 4 weeks to go...focus on that and then getting off the patch...THEN you can get back on track with weight loss.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I quit 6 weeks ago and used the patch for the first 4 weeks (only did step 1 for a week because it made me way too jittery) and I haven't gained any weight. For starters though, I did NOT wear the patch when I worked out (I go to the gym in the mornings, and would wait to put it on after I finished working out and showered). I think you really need to look at this like you've started a new diet plan, and you just have to work really hard at not eating a ton of junk. Drink lots of water, because it does help to flush your system out. The other thing I did was to start the C25K running plan the day I quit, so I'd force myself to see an improvement in my lungs, and that's helping a lot.

To answer your question, the transition from step 2 to 3 patches was harder than the first one, and the first few days of no patch weren't the easiest....BUT, its SO worth it.

Anyway, hang in there..you CAN do this!
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I have a really hard time forcing myself to drink water, I know I don't drink enough...

But if there's one thing I'm doing it's staying smoke free - even if I gain another 10 pounds.
  • k8es
    k8es Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    But if there's one thing I'm doing it's staying smoke free - even if I gain another 10 pounds.

That's fantastic. I quit 7 months ago and I unfortunately gained weight. However, I would do it all over again in a heartbeat! I quit cold turkey and definitely replaced smokey treats with food. Now that I have that under control, I don't crave them at all and frequently forget that I ever smoked (12 years at a pack a day). When I get frustrated about the weight gain, i vow to NEVER smoke again because then the weight gain will have been in vein and all this work that I'm doing to lose it will have been for nothing.

It is not easy to make that decision that you made and you should give yourself a HUGE pat on the back for that. Way to go!!!
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Quitting has been one of the hardest things I've done. I gained 15 pounds. I'm on Step 2 of the patch and next week I start step 1. There is a difference between Step 1 and 2. It's obviously not as strong as 1 and I found that I had less of an urge to smoke when I was on 1 but I did not slip at all. Your body does need to adjust to less nicotine in order for your body to eventually get used to no nicotine at all. But then again, I'm speaking on how I felt when I switched.

As for exercising I couldn't exercise with the patch on, not only because of the dizziness I got sometimes but it starts peeling off which meant using another one afterwards, wated money. I exercise same time everyday so I take off the patch, rinse off the area with warm water, exercise, shower and patch goes on and I'm good foor 24 hours. I know that they say the nicotine stays in your system for a few hours after you remove it but I found that with exercising if I take it off it doesn't cause any dizziness or any side effects as when I did have it on while exercising.

Best of luck but you'll be successful in both staying smoke free and losing the weight.