Moving towards Maintenance

Options
PeeTeePee
PeeTeePee Posts: 235 Member
Since September 2011, when I started here, I've lost 45lbs and I'm now close to my target weight of 11st (154lbs). For the past couple of weeks I've upped my calories slightly. I felt it would be better to ease into maintenance rather than a Big Bang approach. So far it seems to be working.

I'm looking forward to the next stage, I plan to try an hold my weight around 150lbs, just below 11st, but I'll allow myself to fluctuate 2-3lbs either side of 150.

I'm also now considering how to increase my calories. I don't want to start on the cakes and bicuits and sweets again, they were my downfall before. Any ideas on how to do this, gratefully received.

I'm also turning my thoughts to joining a gym. My body needs toning, but at 59 years old I'm NOT looking for a six pack, I left that idea behind me years ago! Running isn't an option as I have dodgy knees, but I like the idea of yoga, pilates and something called 'Total Body Toning' classes held at my local gym. Again, any thoughts or ideas on this topic gratefully received.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I set MFP for a 0.5 lb/week loss for the last 15 pounds. It was an adjustment to add in a couple hundred calories of healthy foods. At that time, I started having a daily snack of almonds, which is 170 calories and I still eat them daily. They help me hit my target for calories on most days. If my calories happen to be running high that day, I skip them.

I am a HUGE pilates fan. I started last summer and take a class 2x/week. Within a month of starting pilates I lost a pants size without losing any weight, it just tightened everything up. It has been fantastic for my posture and it strengthens your core muscles which can prevent back problems in the future. I love it because my classes have everyone from fit 20-somethings to overweight middle aged people to a 70-odd year old. Your teacher can tailor every exercise to your fitness level and it is easy to work around things like bad wrists, bad knees, etc. The key is to find a really good teacher, as that makes all of the difference.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good plan WRT increasing your calories.

For exercise, yoga is a good choice. It improves your strength, flexibility, and will tone your muscles. Strength training is also very beneficial, in fact, I consider it to be essential to good health especially as you age. I lift weights because studies have shown it significantly reduces the risk of osteoporosis, cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke, etc.

Good luck!
  • mirthegeologist
    mirthegeologist Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss!

I think your plan with respect to eating sounds great--I have been maintaining my goal weight for ~4 months now, and I know what I can and can't eat to maintain. I weigh in a couple times a week & if I notice the scale creeping up, then I am more restrictive with my calories. If I'm more than 2 lbs from my goal weight, then I track my calories again & work out a bit more.

As for your exercise plan, I think yoga/pilates/toning would be great. My mother, who is 60+, started yoga a couple years ago & has noticed an increase in her balance and flexibility since she's started. I started going to weekly yoga and pilates classes about 3 months ago and am seeing results. The nice thing about both of these classes is that you can modify poses to suit your ability. As you improve, you can move onto more challenging poses & exercises.

I would encourage you to try some sort of cardio, even if it's only for 20 minutes or so at a time. Perhaps a rowing machine or bicycling?

Best of luck!
  • gracibelle
    Options
    I'm maintaining at a net of 1300-1500, but this is coming out of an eating disorder into recovery... If I net closer to 2000 like MFP says to do, will I gain obscene amounts of weight?
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm maintaining at a net of 1300-1500, but this is coming out of an eating disorder into recovery... If I net closer to 2000 like MFP says to do, will I gain obscene amounts of weight?
    No. I'm way more recently in recovery than you and I'm netting 1700-2000 (I'm 5'1 and 107-109lbs) and my weight stabilised. You have to trust your body. You might gain initially, but it will stabilise and you may even lose. I have lost over the past 2 weeks on the same net calories.