"Starting Strength" Rippetoe

Options
amysj303
amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
I wanted to see if there are any girls doing Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength"? I am reading through the book now, taking the week off. I just finished Jamie Eason's plan and I liked it but I didn't really see any results. I just want to focus on strength for a few months and wanted to try this program.
I plan to up my calories and make an effort to eat better, I do think diet is the biggest thing for me.
I am just looking for other women who've tried this, and any advice you have!

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I just started reading the book and love it so far! I'll be interested to see what others think of it as well. I just finished NROLFW and loved it!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,929 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this program (after NROL4W) - or stronglifts....so, I'm going to lurk for awhile. (and, I have awhile...I'm only in Stage 3 of NROL4W)
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I want to do it after I finish (or get as far as I possibly can) stronglifts. I'll be interested in seeing y'all progress.
  • amysj303
    Options
    I am two weeks and one workout into it, liking it so far. Have been going up 5lbs each time.
    Last night:
    Squat-90 lbs
    Deadlift-110 lbs
    Bench press-60 lbs
  • amysj303
    Options
    I have really upped my calories and haven't gained in almost three weeks so I am loving that. My plan is to just lift for 8 weeks and then start doing some cardio.
  • amysj303
    Options
    the link
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

there is a link to a calculator there, you down load it to an excel file, enter your max weight on the lifts and it schedules the program, with weights increasing 5 lbs per session on all lifts except deadlift, which is increased by 10.
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/3382978/Starting-Strength-Logbook-Calculator
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,929 Member
    Options
    You're doing GREAT, Amy!

And, if you aren't sure HOW great....I am 3 months into my program and I cannot squat 90 lbs (I don't think....haven't tried back squats in awhile - but, with proper form, I'd say I'm at about 75-80 lbs?) and I cannot deadlift 110 lbs (I think I'm at 95....again, I haven't done just a plain ol' deadlift in awhile!).

I CAN bench-press more than 60 lbs....I'm at 90, I believe - again, haven't done a regular ol' bench press in a few weeks.

(NROL4W has all these "combo" moves in the stage I'm in....so, like a Romanian deadlift-row combo, or whatever, and the "row" piece forces me to keep my weights lower!)
  • deninevi
    Options
    Thanks for the links!

I think you are doing great on the lifts!

Beeps, you will be there in no time, too!

I'm currently doing " One Month To Muscles" -Rachel Cosgrove http://experiencelife.com/article/one-month-to-muscles/
    I'll be starting Starting Strength around 23 of April, but probably will be doing one with chins in it- I want to get to 5 chins and then eventually 10-right now at 3-4. Anyways, will be checking here for your progress. Good luck!
  • amysj303
    Options
    thanks! I was reading about the deadlift and it seems like I am doing a sumo deadlift, which is apparently preferable for lighter people, but I do think I am squatting them.
    Deninevi, there is a variation with the chin ups-

Monday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
    Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
    1x5 Deadlift

Friday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
    Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

I would like to be able to do them too, so I might try this program after the first 8 weeks
  • deninevi
    Options
    Thanks!
    I was thinking more about this one
    Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    1x5 Deadlift / 5x3 Power Cleans (Alternating)

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    3x10 or 5x10 Back Extensions (unweighted if progressing to GHR, weighted if not)
    Chin-Ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

But I have some time to think about it. :)

Do you do Power Cleans?
  • amysj303
    Options
    no, I need to get help to do power cleans, I have never done them so I think a trainer might be necessary, I have watched videos but I don't "get it" I guess.
  • deninevi
    Options
    I'm the same with the power cleans! I have watched and watched and I still can't get it right.
  • amysj303
    Options
    I was thinking back when I was taking body pump classes at 24h and we did "clean and press" but it's not like power cleans at all...
  • deninevi
    Options
    asjerven, are you still doing Starting Strength" ? I'm starting tomorrow-4/23
  • amysj303
    Options
    I switched to Stronglifts. It's similar but a 5x5 program.
  • deninevi
    Options
    O.k. Good luck!
  • Emma7830
    Emma7830 Posts: 7
    Options
    So glad to have found this group! I began Starting Strength last August, though I only started incorporating bench press and power clean about four months ago. Haven't progressed as much as I'd like but it's nice to see other women who lift heavy weights!
  • deninevi
    Options
    Hi Emma! I have the hardest time with power cleans. Just can't get the move, but I keep trying. :) You have been doing Starting Strength for a while and that is great!
  • Anelda
    Anelda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I did Starting Strength for around 4 or 5 months and saw very impressive strength gains on it. However, I didn't do the program from the Starting Strength book. Instead, I did his modified program found in the book "Practical Programming" for novices. Why? I wasn't comfortable trying to learn power cleans without a coach/trainer and didn't have the funds to pay for one.

Instead, SS in the PP book goes like this:

Day 1:
    Squats: 3x5
    Bench/OHP (alternate every other day): 3x5
    Chinups: 3x5

Day 2:
    Squats 3x5
    Bench/OHP (alternating): 3x5
    Deadlifts: 1x5

Day 3:
    Squats: 3x5
    Bench/OHP (alternating): 3x5
    Pullups: 3x5

He recommends on the chins and pulls to go to failure every set. However, I found that I made better strength gains if I attempted 5 reps every set.

My results:
    Squats: 45 lbs to 175 lbs
    Bench: 45 lbs to 115
    OHP (by far the hardest exercise for me to increase and I think my form is suspect): 45 to 70
    Deadlift: 95 lbs to 195
    Chins/Pulls: From needing around 66 lbs assistance to being able to do 1 set of 5 of chins unassisted and 3 pullups unassisted.

I stalled at this point though even after a deload as I'm not eating to support continual strength gains. So, now I'm doing the fat loss programs found in New Rules of Lifting as my goal is fat loss at this point and not strength even though I still lift as heavy as I can.