Ok What am I doing wrong.....

Options
msmayor
msmayor Posts: 362 Member
I slowly upped the cals over a 4wk period and I just upped them again to 1800 and I've been playing around with the same 1lb up 1lb down thing for the past few weeks....I was ok with this because I tried to look at it this way more food no real gain...so 2wks no movement this week .8 up - yup checked the measurements also nothing......not ready to give up but what am I doing wrong - I know my sodium is crazy I have it at 1500 so I'm almost always over.....I'm set up 40/30/30 - I sometimes go over with protein....so now I at 1800 lets see how this works

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I slowly upped the cals over a 4wk period and I just upped them again to 1800 and I've been playing around with the same 1lb up 1lb down thing for the past few weeks....I was ok with this because I tried to look at it this way more food no real gain...so 2wks no movement this week .8 up - yup checked the measurements also nothing......not ready to give up but what am I doing wrong - I know my sodium is crazy I have it at 1500 so I'm almost always over.....I'm set up 40/30/30 - I sometimes go over with protein....so now I at 1800 lets see how this works

Ms. Mayor, I am with you right now...I actually upped from 1800 to 1900 and am at a stand still, but I have been all over the place at times with heavy lifting and high sodium. Kiki (31Prvrbs) wrote a topic on what to expect when upping talking about the body's reaction to certain foods and such. I am going to go back and read that one again because I have had a lot of pasta this last week though w/i my ratios (which is like yours). I think our body has adjusted to the food level and that is why I am trying slightly higher. I won't be doing heavy lifting this week coming up so I think I will get a better picture of what is happening.

Hmmm feedback anyone else???
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    It's natural for it to fluctuate up right away when you up the cals. It'll take time to balance out at every level. So for those that choose to slowly inch up, the fluctuations will be smaller, but take longer, and those that just jump right up, get the major influx, but have the benefit of it being "over and done with" as far as the initial gain, and then it evens out.

Just keep an eye on the scale and watch for your "trend" it will be up and down from day to day, but if it keeps going up 5 down 1, or up 4 down 2 type scenario, then you know that your "trend" is that it's moving up. If the numbers are flopped, or equal,then your current trend is going down, or maintaining.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Yes, what Lucia said about the foods. Always beware if you've had bloating type foods before weighing in or measuring yourself, because they will cause fluctuations

A non-exclusive, but most common foods list of items that bloat are:

dairy, apples, beans, salt, fatty foods, broccoli, cabbage, gum, hard candy, soda, and sugar free foods

Most carbs cause the body to retain some water, as well, so its not always wise to weigh after a poorly hydrated, higher carb day, in general...
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    LIGHT BULB JUST WENT OFF....that is exactly what happening...I shot up around 4lbs or so, but I was heavy lifting, TOM visited, high sodium for two weekends...so this week I started trending back down and have been up a net of 1.2 consistently for the last 3 days. So, I am thinking I am not gaining or losing at all right this second, so hopefully this week I will see which direction I will go. I am so ok if I have to go back to 1800 but again I stalled there too....
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Yes, what Lucia said about the foods. Always beware if you've had bloating type foods before weighing in or measuring yourself, because they will cause fluctuations

dairy, apples, beans, salt, fatty foods, broccoli, cabbage, gum, hard candy, soda, and sugar free foods

Most carbs cause the body to retain some water, as well, so its not always wise to weigh after a poorly hydrated, higher carb day, in general...
    Wow looking at the list of foods that bloat I had at least 6 out of the list......dairy man oh man I have a protein shake daily sometimes 2x a day and I use unsweetened almond milk - guess I should just use water and I had broccoli and beans this week as well as salt.....So do you think I should up my cals to 1800 now or just stay at 1700 and keep an eye on what foods I'm eating?
  • ANewLucia
    Options

Wow looking at the list of foods that bloat I had at least 6 out of the list......dairy man oh man I have a protein shake daily sometimes 2x a day and I use unsweetened almond milk - guess I should just use water and I had broccoli and beans this week as well as salt.....So do you think I should up my cals to 1800 now or just stay at 1700 and keep an eye on what foods I'm eating?

Are you at your TDEE- 15% cut value yet? I think of everything as, what I would do, so maybe Kiki and others will share their opinions as well here...but I would see what my cut value is, watch the foods, and go up another 100 if I am not at my cut amount...