Just Finished Week 4 of Eating More and Lost 1 pound!

Options
KathyEarhart
KathyEarhart Posts: 94 Member
As the title says, I just finished week 4 of eating more calories and saw a 1 pound loss this week. Let me start by saying I lost all of my weight (52 pounds) by starving myself at 1,200 calories a day. I did the whole 'zig zag' method and didn't log weekends, thinking I was 'tricking' my metabolism into not getting stuck. I saw great losses initially, then it slowed waaaay down. Then I would see gains and losses of the same 2-3 pounds. I'm not really set on losing more weight at this point, though I do admit the vanity in me would like to dip in the 130s, just to be in the 130's (even if it is 139! LOL) I'm more focused on muscle building now.

So, about 6 weeks ago, I tried to go into maintenance and went up to 1,650 from 1,300 and saw a huge gain. I freaked out and went back down to 1,300. Then I read and read on this whole concept of 'eating more and weighing less.' It made sense and I decided to give it a try. I had to get back to normal somehow, and figured it couldn't hurt. And Lord knows that there is no way I could maintain a 1,300 a day calorie diet for the rest of my life (and still see gains at that level.) It clicked that there is no way in the world that I should gain at 1,300 a day, not possible. I have 3 kids, 8, 6 and 11 months and am very active, plus I exercise 4-5 times a week. It just doesn't make sense.

After my first 'failed' experiment, I decided I mentally couldn't handle jumping up that much at once and would do 200 calories at a time (for 2 weeks, or until I saw a loss), then up again. I went to 1,450 first and saw a couple of pound gain that week. Then the next 2 weeks, I saw small losses, like .2 and .7 lbs. Last week I upped again to 1,650. Today I saw a 1 pound loss! I'm eating ALL of my exercise calories back, so actual consumption is around 1,800- 2,200 calories a day! I'll even admit I haven't been a pillar of health the last 2 weeks. Insert excuses here; but bottom line I didn't eat like I should. I had soft drinks, candy and lots of processed food. So all logic says I should have gained, but I didn't. *I'm not condoning eating bad, just being honest.

This has made a believer out of me and my only regret is that I didn't start sooner. I'm on here because I like to eat, really love to eat. I didn't get overweight by starving myself, and would like to eat and enjoy food again. I don't want to feel bad because I ate normal calories or had a cookie. Overall, my diet is 100 times better than it was before, I'm exercising, and other than school PE, I had never exercised before, and I now have a healthy BMI. The journey has taken longer than I thought it would and had I realized then, what I know now, I would never have done 1,200 a day. It's not maintainable and who the heck only wants to eat 1,200 calories for the REST OF THEIR LIVES? Not me!

Special thanks to Kiki for drilling it in our heads that we really can eat more and lose weight. I'm so glad I stumbled upon your blog!

Oh and lest I forget, I feel so much better physically. No more dizziness when I work out, more energy to do things (I used to work out and be spent for the day, because I wasn't giving my body the fuel it needed to work.) I'm enjoying food again and don't feel guilty about it (even if I know I should do better, I'm not losing any sleep over it.) I will continue to improve my eating and work on getting proper nutrition and building muscle tone. This is a lifestyle change for me and I'm never going back to that fat girl (who's also 5'10", so wanna talk about the 'big' one in the room!) So, keep going ladies, it will happen! The mental part is harder than any of the physical, so keep reading successes and anything you can on the subject. That's what kept me going.

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    What a great story- and similar to so many we hear on MFP and in our lives. Food as fuel really does work :D

SO happy for you and that you stuck in there even when scared- I'm going to take that and use it this week!! Great job and congratulations!!!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is just awesome!!!!
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

This is so awesome and just even more confirmation to those of us who are not seeing quick losses while eating more.

Patience is key!
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    You're story was right on time for me!!!!! I hear you be patient....I will I promise!
  • LoriInIowa
    LoriInIowa Posts: 113
    Options
    The journey has taken longer than I thought it would and had I realized then, what I know now, I would never have done 1,200 a day. It's not maintainable and who the heck only wants to eat 1,200 calories for the REST OF THEIR LIVES? Not me!

This is a lifestyle change for me and I'm never going back to that fat girl (who's also 5'10", so wanna talk about the 'big' one in the room!) So, keep going ladies, it will happen! The mental part is harder than any of the physical, so keep reading successes and anything you can on the subject. That's what kept me going.

SOOO true Kathy!! :)

You've hit the proverbial nail! If something isn't LIFEtime sustainable it isn't long-term change. It's just a blip---and back to status quo.

You're right the MENTAL part is the hardest, but you're wrong about the "big" girl in the room.....sliding over next to you.....NOW you look petite! :)

6-footer-really-starting-to-LOVE-my-height! (That's another story for another day.)

Blessings to all of you reading these posts....don't give up! PERSISTENCE pays off!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    So proud of you for hanging in there during those tough mental times, Kathy. Who knew that you were right at the turning point (at exactly 4wks?! Whew!)? Keep your focus, girl, you are so inspiring!

Kiki
  • giag09
    giag09 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    amazing kathy! i am nervous to eat more but i feel like i have to do it.... kiki please look at my diary and see if you think it looks ok and balanced i wanna be leaner and stronger and slimmer! ps i just had a little boy 4.5 months ago and i have a 3yo and work part time... i am married too. also i am going on 10 yrs of consistant weight loss i was 209 lbs when i was 17 i just am scared to gain weight~!
  • KathyEarhart
    KathyEarhart Posts: 94 Member
    Options

You've hit the proverbial nail! If something isn't LIFEtime sustainable it isn't long-term change. It's just a blip---and back to status quo.

You're right the MENTAL part is the hardest, but you're wrong about the "big" girl in the room.....sliding over next to you.....NOW you look petite! :)

6-footer-really-starting-to-LOVE-my-height! (That's another story for another day.)

LOL... Isn't funny how something that used to be an issue, we now enjoy? I'm happy to be tall now, because I'm not large. I've really been working on my posture too, standing tall and not being embarrassed to be taller than most of the women and some of the men! :-) I also wear more heels now!

Thanks everyone! You can do it. I'm just a normal person that struggles like everyone else. I may be a bit hard headed (a lot hard headed), but other than that, I wanted it and wanted it enough to work for it.
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Awesome story!! Very inspiring!!

I've upped my calories this week and I'm experiencing a few up/down with my weight but I'm going to stick with it... TOM is around the corner, but I plan on working my butt off so I don't feel all bloated or crazy... Again, thank you for your story!!
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your story and update! I upped my cals one week ago today. Right now I've only raised up to my BMR because don't have nerve to raise it anymore right now. Middle of the week I weighed and was up 2 lbs. But this morning I weighed and remained consistent with what I was a week ago.

On one hand its been hard eating an extra 200 cals/day this week *and not filling those cals with junk* but then on the other hand, I've thought wow - how did I survive on only 1000-1200 cals a day?! So I'm feeling positive about this move at the moment. I'll give it a couple more weeks to see how I do before deciding to adjust my cals or not.

Also, I'm so excited because I ordered New Rules Lifting/Women book today from Amazon! Should arrive by Monday and looking forward to working in more weights into my exercise routine. Right now I mainly focus on cardio.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Thanks for your story and update! I upped my cals one week ago today. Right now I've only raised up to my BMR because don't have nerve to raise it anymore right now. Middle of the week I weighed and was up 2 lbs. But this morning I weighed and remained consistent with what I was a week ago.

On one hand its been hard eating an extra 200 cals/day this week *and not filling those cals with junk* but then on the other hand, I've thought wow - how did I survive on only 1000-1200 cals a day?! So I'm feeling positive about this move at the moment. I'll give it a couple more weeks to see how I do before deciding to adjust my cals or not.

Also, I'm so excited because I ordered New Rules Lifting/Women book today from Amazon! Should arrive by Monday and looking forward to working in more weights into my exercise routine. Right now I mainly focus on cardio.

Glad to hear that you purchased the book I believe the humorous breakdown of what we women do will crack you up and encourage you to up your calories even more. He gives an awesome explaination that made me feel as though I just HAD to give it a try!
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    What great feedback you have shared. I think all of us strive to find the right balance of lifting, cardio, and right size calories. I am positively inspired by what I am hearing from all of you. Thank you!
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Awesome story!! Very inspiring!!

I've upped my calories this week and I'm experiencing a few up/down with my weight but I'm going to stick with it... TOM is around the corner, but I plan on working my butt off so I don't feel all bloated or crazy... Again, thank you for your story!!

So glad to hear Jenn, that is awesome you are giving it a go...your body will thank you for it (but don't weigh during TOM...not a good time...lol). Keep us posted hun!
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing and awesome job!
  • DecemberNick
    DecemberNick Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Feels good to eat food and to be athletic! It's what we're supposed to feel like!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    amazing kathy! i am nervous to eat more but i feel like i have to do it.... kiki please look at my diary and see if you think it looks ok and balanced

No problem.....I did notice a few things, I'll be sending you a message.
  • lisasdoinit
    lisasdoinit Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    that is SO great!! thanks for sticking to it and sharing that it IS working!
    xo