Hello

Options
kagero1976
kagero1976 Posts: 19 Member
Hi, all. I just joined this group yesterday. I happened to stumble across a website the other day that I started reading with interest (www.hussmanfitness.org). Althought this site is mostly informational, it does suggest the Body for Life program. So then I went to that website and learned more about that program. I have been exercising fairly religiously since January with a new treadmill I bought and strength training 2 days a week. I've been counting calories off and on, but definately been eating better during that time. All and all, I only lost about 3 pounds in about eight weeks. I did lose some inches, so that part is good. I still have more to go, though. I'm only about 3 pounds away from officially not being overweight, but my body composition needs to change.

Yesterday, I did the first Body for Life cardio workout. It was less time than I have been doing but fairly close to the same calorie burn according to the machine. Today I am going to do upper body. It should be interesting. I don't have any fancy weight machines so I am doing the ones that require only dumbells. I have a 2 pound set, a 5 pound set, and a 10 pound set. I'll have to make it work with those.

Interestingly enough, I am actually eating slightly more calories than I was last week. I feel like it is a pretty sustainable amount for the long term. I based on on some recommendations of the website I read. I'm pretty anxious to see what kind of results I get!

Replies

• tinytimsummers
    tinytimsummers Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Welcome to BFL(Body For Life). I like this system very much. I like the way it breaks the workouts down and I like the cardio plan. I have lost 24# since 2 Jan. And I have been doing BFL the entire time. I like to break the 84 days up into three sections and then take a week between each section to do nothing but medium intensity cardio. I have found this gives my musles time to heal completely and keeps from getting burned out.

As far as equipment, there is all kinds of exercises that you can do with just dumbells. I think you will find that folling this program you will get stronger and want to move up in weight. I am fortunate that my employer has a fully stocked gym that I can use and there is seldom anyone else there. Good luck and if there is anything we can help with just let us know.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I am not presently using the gym either, but there is SO much you can do with dumbbells and if you also get a set of Resistance Bands, you can hit every body part! I finally broke down and bought myself a Christmas present too: A pair of the Gold's Gym dumbells that adjust from 5# to 25#, so I have one for each hand. They were kind of expensive for me--$65 at Walmart--but I knew I had to have them to be serious. There are some exercises (side lat raises for example) where I have plenty of room before I outgrow these, and others (squats & bench rows among others) where I have already maxed out with the 25# and need to get some that will adjust from 30-75# or so. My house is really REALLY small, and I can't afford floor space for a set of individual weights, so I'm happy to have these.

I also have one of the old, cheap versions of the Total Gym, which folds up and slides under the bed when not in use (or just props against the wall for easy access) and I use it in combination with the hand weights and resistance bands. About the only machines I miss from the gym are a couple of my favorites, the leg press & cable crossover . I would be missing the Assisted Pullup machine, but my gym never had one of those anyway in spite of frequent requests!
  • Navymustng
    Navymustng Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome.

BFL is a great program that I was introduced to in Summer of 2010 by a Marine. Although the program has been around awhile, I believe it is one of the best in making a lifestyle change and not a fad or exercise program that you pick up and put back down. It is a program that can and will change your life. It is easy to follow and maintain. Enjoy and congrats on picking the a program that you will love and enjoy the results.

Don