Best Weight Loss Tips

Options
Lucy_Monroe
Lucy_Monroe Posts: 55 Member
For those of you who - like me - struggle with a slow metabolism and/or thyroid disease, I have found that eating 5-6 small, balanced and healthy meals a day *really* helps with weight loss. I also strongly recommend drinking your water. :) I've also found that exercise in combination with food management is *necessary* to weight loss. I'm happy to share my favorite recipes, more tips, etc. as we go along, but right now I'd like to hear from you all.

What helps you eat healthy and get fit? Easy one off suggestions and more complex recommendations are all welcome. :)

Hugs,
Lucy

Replies

• DebraParmley
    Options
    Hi Lucy!

I agree with everything you have shared.

Sluggish metabolism has been one of my issues ever since that car accident a couple of years ago (being over 40 hasn't helped I'm guessing) but I am learning how to move on from that.

When I went to the personal trainer at my gym just a few weeks ago, he told me I was not eating enough! I'd put my body into starvation mode with my healthy eating and weight loss efforts. So he put me on a schedule of eating something small every 2 to 4 hrs and I am never to go more than 4 without eating something.

My Fitness Pal has been a great program to help me with that. At first it was telling me in red... eat more calories! Especially on the days when I exercise heavier.

One of the things I am going to address on my blog next weekend is the subject of not eating enough. I have to do a bit more research on that first, though. So far I can only talk about that as it relates to me and I don't have enough details on the how or the why of it. As I learn more I will share more.

It is so beautiful that we can all share with each other and encourage one another. I'm looking forward to learning from everyone else's tips too!

Love and light,
    Debra
  • Lucy_Monroe
    Options
    This is actually one of the worst Catch 22s of fitness and many a dieter has messed up her own metabolism (me included) by skipping meals and dropping under healthy caloric limits. It's why I'm so against some of the programs out there - raw and healthy is fine - but too few calories will ultimately destroy ones ability to maintain a healthy weight. And the road back is a VERY hard one. Send me the link to your blog when you post that topic - I'll want to share it for sure!
  • DebraParmley
    Options
    Lucy that is exactly it! That Catch 22. I've spent the last two years working at a yoga studio and prior to that eight years in the dance world teaching and performing belly dance. The thing is you cannot drill belly rolls on a full stomach. Yoga is difficult if you've just eaten. So for many in the dance world and the yoga world unhealthy habits develop. You get used to not eating and going for long stretches of time without food and then really chowing down, usually in the evening after performance or after teaching classes. Then not that many hours between that big meal and bed time.

Some of the dancers and yoga instructors you'll see are quite thin and appear to be healthy but they are not. And if they stop all that heavy exercise for any reason (have a baby, an illness or accident or retire) the weight starts piling on and the metabolism is too sluggish to burn it off. If they are used to lots of exercise it's real hard to exercise enough to burn it off.

The key is to reset that metabolism. I am not sure how long that takes but it is not easy.

Yes, I'll send you the link once I've posted it!
  • jenifer315
    Options
    I've been told to drink lots of water, get enough slepp and eat enough protein.
  • cbev100
    cbev100 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with the drinking of water - I've always heard that, but I don't like water. Any suggestions? I've tried adding the flavors to the water, but get bored with that real quick :)
  • isabellabishop
    Options
    I like to add fresh lemon and lots of ice to my water. Keeps it refreshing and me drinking it.
  • BarbaraJeanSmith
    Options
    I am a big fan of Crystal Light water additives. LOVE LOVE LOVE the Margarita one!!!! Tastes just like a margarita without the alcohol. i love to put them in the freezer and let them freeze to a slushy consistancey...taste great. They make many flavers so you are sure to find one you like.

I also like the strawberry orange banana and the peach tea.
    As far as bar drinks go they aldo have Mojito (which I hated) and Appletini (which wasn't bad but not near as good as the margarita).
  • Lucy_Monroe
    Options
    Herbal teas are also a great way to get your water intake with a little flavor - just stay away from anything with caffeine in it. My youngest daughter *hates* water, but when we started MFP together, she committed to drinking a min of 8 cups a day and she's doing it. I'm so proud. :) The other thing I recommend is keeping a pitcher of water in the fridge with sliced berries floating in it - they infuse the water with flavor without adding enough calories to count - as long as you don't eat them. ;-) And keep a plethora of different flavor additives on hand. I'm like you and don't like the same thing over and over again, so I keep options for pretty much everything. LOL

I agree with the drinking of water - I've always heard that, but I don't like water. Any suggestions? I've tried adding the flavors to the water, but get bored with that real quick :)
  • hi everyone!

I started going to the gym a year ago, and started eating 12 raw almonds (I love them) as a snack and recently added unsweetened dried cherries as an alternate. Since I don't like to eat breakfast , but liked going to the gym before lunch, I can have some a 1/2 hour before the gym so I will have a little fuel. I do have "breakfast" , but it's two mugs of cafe con leche (skim milk with nescafe added) I love it , but its not enough for working out.
    One thing that I've found useful for weight loss in the past is preparing enough of a healthy meal for 2 or three meals at a time ( a protein and some stir fried veggies or salad for example), then limiting the amount I have to the same size plate or bowl. This is good two-fold, because I have a ready made meal when I come home and am starving. This can keep me from making a bad choice. On the other hand, knowing I'm going to use the leftovers for a yummy other meal keeps me from going back from more and eating too much "just because its there" or to finish it.

Good Luck Ladies :)
  • cbev100
    cbev100 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You had me at Margarita!